Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Those damn foreigners again"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Controversial my hole, they should all be working, contributing to the Economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Eh? A bit late Faceman.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Steyr wrote: »
    Controversial my hole, they should all be working, contributing to the Economy.
    +1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

mike65 wrote: »
    Eh? A bit late Faceman.

Mike.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

They should be shipped out if they wont work. Sroungers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

baldbear wrote: »

I see you put a lot of thought into that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

+1
    +2

You can't just expect to come over here, not work, and get money from the state when you are contributing nothing to the economy. Some of the foreigners are getting social welfare for everything and anything, rent allowances and grants to go to college here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

baldbear wrote: »

Eh.........um..........(sits in wait for this comment to be pounced on <- not proper Engerlish! OMG!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

im all for the argument that if they dont wanna work, then they can gtfo.

and dont get me started on the shower of cu*ts that are out begging in town with babies...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Tuesday August 19 2008

KEVIN Myers’ recent article on immigration understates the problem with Nigerian immigration and social welfare benefits.
    According to the Department of Trade’s records, 332 work permits were granted to Nigerians over the years while fewer than 150 were granted refugee status during the same period by the minister for justice.

Stated Government policy and Irish immigration law prohibits the payment of welfare benefits to non-EU nationals, other than those granted refugee status. That, in effect, means the maximum number of Nigerians eligible to claim welfare benefits here is 150.

A massive number of Nigerians have immigrated illegally to Ireland. The previous Minister for Justice stated that no amnesty was to be granted to these people, yet a scheme was designed to allow them remain in Ireland called the IBC/05 scheme.

This scheme granted the right of full welfare benefits to these illegal immigrants.

Those who came to Ireland illegally may, if they so choose, claim unemployment and rental accommodation payments and all other welfare benefits including medical cards.

In effect, the scheme created a new category of immigrant, one that has no lawful basis. Thousands of illegal Nigerian immigrants have never worked in Ireland, yet the Irish taxpayer has to pay for them for the rest of their natural lives.

The IBC/05 scheme was grafted on to existing immigration law, even though no legislation for the provision of welfare benefits to illegal immigrants exists. No Bill to accommodate it was brought before the Oireachtas and no vote on this scheme was ever taken even though it requires a massive diversion of publicly raised funds destined for other purposes and voted on by Dail Eireann.

The scheme was implemented in January 2005. More illegal immigrants were granted leave to remain here under this scheme then than the combined total of legal immigrants granted work permits from non-EU countries over the past four years.

Some 23,178 Nigerians are registered with the Department of social welfare. How is this number possible?

Extrapolating from the figures published last week Nigerians alone are receiving a minimum of €100m in benefits per year. This figure is likely much higher.

The scale of the problem is apparent to ordinary Irish people.

The regulation and enforcement of immigration law and policies is currently in a state of anarchy. Resentment of this injustice against the Irish people is ignored by the political establishment and allowed to fester.

I voted ‘No’ in the Lisbon referendum because of immigration issues. This was the first public expression of that resentment. The time for a debate was before this problem got out of hand, not now. What is now required is action, deportations. We need the political expression of this resentment and soon.

FRANK MAGEE

DUBLIN 17

Pretty much somes it up for me.

• Advertisement

I have no problem with people coming over here from wherever if they're willing to earn an honest living, pay their taxes and give back to the country they're taking from.

I don't like the idea of people coming over thinking it's an easy ride and us tax payers will just support them with a smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I've no time for any dole spongers. Be it Irish, Nigerian or any other nationality. Earn your keep! Or begone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I hate all that PC controvesy bollix that surrounds points raised about non nationals. Everybody dances around it as if they are afraid they'll be accused of being racist.

But if it's ignored it's gonna create a divide because they'll grow up here never being fully integrated. I was in town the other day and a group of Africans were running amok on O Connell street outside Dr. Quirkey's. About 20 of them fighting each other in 2 groups and bumping into people at the bus stop and shouting and all that stuff. You could see the old people at the bus stops looked afraid because they looked like they wanted to kill each other they way they were going on. 2 Garda cars drove by and never stopped. There were about 3 guards at the corner of Henry street who could see down and a Guard popped his head out to see what all the noise was from the Garda station on O Connell street. Not a thing was done about this and it went on for about 15 minutes or so. But i guarantee you if that was a bunch of Irish scum bags they would have been down pulling everyone away into cars.

Stuff like the above is just going to create ghettos and the feeling that they can get away with things because the Guards are afraid to go near them in case racism is screamed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

*Waits for anecdote regarding some extravagent benefit immigrants supposedly get.*

But yeah, if they can work they should work. If they're not working they should be deported. Simple as.

Edit:
    I voted ‘No’ in the Lisbon referendum because of immigration issues.

:rolleyes:

dlofnep wrote: »
    I've no time for any dole spongers. Be it Irish, Nigerian or any other nationality. Earn your keep! Or begone.
    Well, my dad had to go on the dole for a while. He's in his 50s, worked all his life, his buisness went bust and due to his age he found it very hard to get a job, he had a family to support and so I hold nothing against him or people like him having to go on it for a few weeks.

It's just the scumbags who live off it without doing any work and not bothering to get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

It just proves what we all suspected anyway. I've worked with Nigerians in the health sector for a time, along with every other nationality under the sun. I honestly think Nigerians are here for the easy ride, and having a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

My conclusion... deport every fecking Nigerian! Including myself....

Refugee status granted = MUST WORK
    Refugee status not granted = DEPORTED, if appealed and case won then allow into the country
    Immigrants who are studying or working = NO PROBLEMO

Actually OP change thread to those bloody Nigerians!

generally this thread would head towards racism, but the fact of the matter is majority of the immigrants exploiting the system are Nigerians and until that change people like me would receive stupid unwarranted insults!
    Like the fecking spam on AH which was ******!!!!

boogle wrote: »
    It just proves what we all suspected anyway. I've worked with Nigerians in the health sector for a time, along with every other nationality under the sun. I honestly think Nigerians are here for the easy ride, and having a great time.

So the Nigerians you worked with "are here for the easy ride" :rolleyes: Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Extrapolating from the figures published last week Nigerians alone are receiving a minimum of €100m in benefits per year. This figure is likely much higher.

Thats a few bob alright. It could probably be put to a much better use, but knowing the way finances are managed in the govt, it probably wouldn't be put to good use. Ach well!

Charity starts at home and all that jazz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Refugee status granted = MUST WORK
    Refugee status not granted = DEPORTED, if appealed and case won then allow into the country
    Immigrants who are studying or working = NO PROBLEMO

i could not have put it better myself

i hate the whole ''im here because i was abused in my home country'' sob story, if they allowed to stay then they can get a damn job and contribute to thier new homeland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

MIN2511 wrote: »
    My conclusion... deport every fecking Nigerian! Including myself....

generally this thread would head towards racism,

Were you handed that racism card when you arrived in Ireland or did you have to apply for it ??

This is the type of sh!te people are afraid of, complaining about the foreigners and you get branded a racist by them.

The complaints are valid, its not racism.

gino85 wrote: »
    i could not have put it better myself

i hate the whole ''im here because i was abused in my home country'' sob story, if they allowed to stay then they can get a damn job and contribute to thier new homeland

It's a pity you and i are not ruling the country;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

I only think it should all be done fairly.

I.E:
    when i was out of work i was told i was entitled to nothing. Me, a long time working citizen who was conned by employer and given fake p60's.Then they removed my medical card.

However, someone who never worked at all is entitled. unfair me thinks.
    This system completely allows for leeching. Hopefully in time it gets right. But Goverment in this country and all that ... cant see it getting changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

KTRIC wrote: »
    Were you handed that racism card when you arrived in Ireland or did you have to apply for it ??

This is the type of sh!te people are afraid of, complaining about the foreigners and you get branded a racist by them.

Actually she is spot on, generally these threads head down the route of generalisations, severe stereotypes, ignorance and racism.

Give it about 5 pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I think the OP should change the title to reflect the group he is actually talking about. i.e. nigerians

KTRIC wrote: »

Dude... I am not complaining! I couldn't be arsed! There has been similar threads in AH in recent days and a lot of them changed direction. This thread like others would turn into that.

I would ask you to retract that statement
    You don't know me, we can talk about the foreigners for all i care... I would even contribute to the banter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Dragan wrote: »
    Actually she is spot on, generally these threads head down the route of generalisations, severe stereotypes, ignorance and racism.

Give it about 5 pages.

Thats AH for you. Perhaps this would be better in Humanities. Noting racist has been said yet, so no call for concern.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

oh for **** sake
    we already had a thread about this a couple of ****ing days ago

will you gormless morons learn to search the forum before you post?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Well, my dad had to go on the dole for a while. He's in his 50s, worked all his life, his buisness went bust and due to his age he found it very hard to get a job, he had a family to support and so I hold nothing against him or people like him having to go on it for a few weeks.

It's just the scumbags who live off it without doing any work and not bothering to get a job.

What your father did is not "dole sponging".

Dole-spongers are the latter of what you said. And I repeat, I have no time for dole-spongers. I myself was on the dole for 3 months while looking for a job. That is what it is there for - to assist you while you try to get a job. Not to use as a regular income so you don't have to work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement