Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Those damn foreigners again"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

kearnsr wrote: »
    I see you put a lot of thought into that

Not a lot to think about really.

Your not working, fvck off home free loader. And that goes for Irish, Brits, Nigerians etc. We can't continue to carry freeloaders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

briantwin wrote: »
    This is hilarious!! "anyone in any scenario"
    I can see it now, "congrats on wiping your own arse" she bellowed under the wall of the cubicle in Jervis St shopping centre ladies toilets. I mean is that statement for real?? Get the marching band ordered for little Timmy with the learning disability who works part time in Tesco's .... jesus ,the height of condesention!!

Lollers!
    "Congratulate a Cripple Day..coming soon!"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,047 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Mairt wrote: »
    Not a lot to think about really.

Your not working, fvck off home free loader. And that goes for Irish, Brits, Nigerians etc. We can't continue to carry freeloaders.

Where's "home" for an Irish freeloader in Ireland? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

ejmaztec wrote: »

No, no, no. Once you've got a belly full of righteous anger you don't have to actually think about what you're saying, just saying it makes it right.

Because you have a belly full of fire.
    That's how you know it's true, you feel it in your gut.

ejmaztec wrote: »

The pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

No, no, no. Once you've got a belly full of righteous anger you don't have to actually think about what you're saying, just saying it makes it right.

Because you have a belly full of fire.
    That's how you know it's true, you feel it in your gut.

Maybe Mairt was suggesting that he has no problem with say Nigeria kicking out scrounging Irish people if we're going to be kicking out scrounging Nigerians?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Jaysus i leave boards for a few hours and come back to this :(

Seriously can the original topic and article not be discussed without making it personal or throw race rocks at other posters?

One of the original questions i posed was does the 3,000 odd claimants really matter in the grand scheme of things? We are a nation of almost 5million people. Its a minute percentage. Do people give out about it for the sake of it or should be focus on the bigger fish first? Do people give out about it because the claimants are non nationals?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Degsy wrote: »
    The pub.

Somewhere near an irish waterway mid afternoon swigging out of a can of druids and complaining about the quality of soapbar these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

faceman wrote: »

Seriously can the original topic and article not be discussed without making it personal or throw race rocks at other posters?

One of the original questions i posed was does the 3,000 odd claimants really matter in the grand scheme of things? We are a nation of almost 5million people. Its a minute percentage. Do people give out about it for the sake of it or should be focus on the bigger fish first? Do people give out about it because the claimants are non nationals?

I think it annoys people that people who are here illegally are getting money thrown at them because the government is worried about being seen to be racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

javaboy wrote: »
    Maybe Mairt was suggesting that he has no problem with say Nigeria kicking out scrounging Irish people if we're going to be kicking out scrounging Nigerians?

But then the "We can't continue to carry freeloaders." line makes no sense. Unless Mairt is a tax paying resident of all 192 countries around the world.

But that just raises further questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

faceman wrote: »

+1

I think the majority of people here are surprised though at the stats provided and are asking the same questions Myers posed in the article.

You can't wholly blame the 'scroungers' though, like anything in life, if theres a soft system or loophole it will be exploited. Raises more questions than answers for me, I would write to my local TD if I thought it would do something but I think we all know what the answer to that one is :mad:

Two REAL LIFE experiences stick in my mind -

1) Was in New York 4 years ago and was chatting to this Nigerian hawker dude who was pedalling tourist stuff. To cut a long story short he said he was thinking about going to Ireland soon as a lot of his friends were there and he heard the benefits were 'very good'.

2)Carpenter came to do some stuff in my house a few years ago and he had just left a Nigerian guys house where he wanted a floor laid. He asked the guy what he did (smalltalk) and the guy said he didnt work, the govt paid for the house. Cant blame him for thinking he was in a great country.

The govt should really be pulled up on this. Numbers mentioned were €100m in the article (estimated!) Harney could do with that Im sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

briantwin wrote: »
    This is hilarious!! "anyone in any scenario"
    I can see it now, "congrats on wiping your own arse" she bellowed under the wall of the cubicle in Jervis St shopping centre ladies toilets. I mean is that statement for real?? Get the marching band ordered for little Timmy with the learning disability who works part time in Tesco's .... jesus ,the height of condesention!!
    Yeah, 'course that's what I meant. You just keep interpreting sentences to suit your own ends...

Of course,'most erv'body know,de black man LIKE to be con-gratulated by de mighty whitey!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ok. Enough.
    Dudess and Degsy, do not post in this thread again or I will ban you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

JangoFett wrote: »
    Thank Christ!

Cheers man...so like...you wanna hang out some time?

****, I've made it awkward again haven't I?

No man, its cool I'd love to. Say, got any lube?
    andrew wrote: »
    *Waits for anecdote regarding some extravagent benefit immigrants supposedly get.*
    Sizzler wrote: »

2)Carpenter came to do some stuff in my house a few years ago and he had just left a Nigerian guys house where he wanted a floor laid. He asked the guy what he did (smalltalk) and the guy said he didnt work, the govt paid for the house. Cant blame him for thinking he was in a great country.

I should so have a law named after myself like godwins law. (This is not a observation on the validity of said anecdote).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

javaboy wrote: »

Yup, black white or yellow, a scrounger is a scrounger.

But hey, I posted that before I seen the Degsy -V- Dudess death match so lets not interupt, ok?.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

*Waits for anecdote regarding some extravagent benefit immigrants supposedly get.*

I dont think you need to wait, it was already covered in the original piece by Myers ;)

Shock horror, government wastes a few hundred million euro a year and then says we have to tighten our belts :rolleyes: If the govt was a plc there would be an EGM every friday :o Myers piece is only one such example sadly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Shyster wrote: »
    +2

You can't just expect to come over here, not work, and get money from the state when you are contributing nothing to the economy. Some of the foreigners are getting social welfare for everything and anything, rent allowances and grants to go to college here

Look ! Alot of these ppeople have all their money frozen in African Bank Accounts and can't get it to Ireland......

I met three of them in a pub last night who told me of their plight...feel a bit guilty in charging them a grand to use my account to transfer their money to...feel I was taking advantage of their lack of financial knowledge...ah well money for old rope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Sizzler wrote: »
    +1
    The govt should really be pulled up on this. Numbers mentioned were €100m in the article (estimated!) Harney could do with that Im sure?

About €400m+ is spent on rent allowance in this country to private landlords to house Irish and foreign alike.

Its a big hole in the public finances that is not talked about much as to not to upset the property industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Is cheating the dole any worse than a TD claiming expenses or a Senator getting paid for doing virtually nothing or working on the Mahon Tribunal, any beneficiaries of dodgy privatisation etc...

Personally I don't think the people in power have any right to comment on this, corruption IMO has to be tackled from the top down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I was on the dole for 2 months back in 1991 ... tbh it did my head in, they made it hard and you just didnt get money every time you stuck your hand out. I had to provide proof of interviews attended etc, and at the end of the week I got barely enough to live on, I couldnt wait to get a job.

And then I went home this summer and there are guys there who have been on the dole for years and those guys _do_ get their money with no questions asked (a lot of them doing nixers). Those type of long term unemployed probably outnumber all "foreign spongers" by several orders of magnitude, getting those guys off benefits would help a lot more than picking on the smaller groups. I'm not apologising for any demographic that is on benefits, if they are getting it long term then its a problem with the system.

So dont rag on the nigerians/english/whoever ... give your TD an earful instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Degsy wrote: »
    I did.
    Nigerians come from Nigeria do they not?
    I didnt say "Ignorant BLACK clowns" did i?
    Nigerians arent a race,they're people from a country.
    If they were white what would you accuse me of?

Spot on mate........

I'm sick to death of people not being allowed express an opinion without
    some gob***** saying this is racist or thats racist. JESUS CHRIST you need to be brain dead not to realise whats going on the past 6-10 years.

It is a fact that a huge % of nigerians come here to sponge.....
    The rest seem to want to make a better life and contribute etc.

now if some folks don't get, or believe that then leave them to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

BigEejit wrote: »
    I was on the dole for 2 months back in 1991 ... tbh it did my head in, they made it hard and you just didnt get money every time you stuck your hand out. I had to provide proof of interviews attended etc, and at the end of the week I got barely enough to live on, I couldnt wait to get a job.

There's people though who have no problem with cheating the system. At the end of the day you were on the dole for two months before you got a job again. That's what the dole should be for. A helping hand when times are tough. I definitely don't think anyone should be left to starve but I certainly don't think unemployment should be considered a career. Tbh you're a good example of why the dole should exist though in that you have repaid whatever you were given tens of times over in tax contributions etc.
    And then I went home this summer and there are guys there who have been on the dole for years and those guys _do_ get their money. Those type of long term unemployed probably outnumber all "foreign spongers" by several orders of magnitude, getting those guys off benefits would help a lot more than picking on the smaller groups. I'm not apologising for any demographic that is on benefits, if they are getting it long term then its a problem with the system.

Yep that's true but nobody appears to be saying that Irish spongers are outnumbered by foreign spongers. In my opinion though why should we support any foreign spongers when it's evident we've enough of our own. Why should we be burdened by people too lazy to get up and get a job? Given Ireland's historical propensity for mass emigration it's a bit hypocritical to rail aginst people who come here seeking a better future but if they expect that future to be funded by my tax take I'm never going to be happy about it.
    So dont rag on the nigerians/english/whoever ...

I think some people are pissed with any spongers regardless of race, creed, colour etc. It's just this thread is concerned with Nigerians. If this thread was about any other type I'd still post in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bigman26

dlofnep wrote: »
    I've no time for any dole spongers. Be it Irish, Nigerian or any other nationality. Earn your keep! Or begone.

im irish im on welfare and you have some cheek sayn that. ive havnt been outa work in 9 years and d last 5years i spent on **** wage as an apprentice carpenter and as soon as im qualified d country goes ****ed.i hope the day comes when you havta go on welfare and que up with all d non nationals and wonder what the **** are they doing here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

bigman26 wrote: »
    im irish im on welfare and you have some cheek sayn that. ive havnt been outa work in 9 years and d last 5years i spent on **** wage as an apprentice carpenter and as soon as im qualified d country goes ****ed.i hope the day comes when you havta go on welfare and que up with all d non nationals and wonder what the **** are they doing here

I don't think dlofnep meant that everyone who's on the dole is a sponger. Merely those people who are on it when in reality they could get a job. We've all known someone who could have been working but instead went on the dole because they were lazy or just took the easy option.

Lighten up bigman and try and look at his post in a different light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

Look ! Alot of these ppeople have all their money frozen in African Bank Accounts and can't get it to Ireland......

I met three of them in a pub last night who told me of their plight...feel a bit guilty in charging them a grand to use my account to transfer their money to...feel I was taking advantage of their lack of financial knowledge...ah well money for old rope...

Haha! hope you're left with a bank account :rolleyes: Did they hand over the grand yet?? It'll probably be your own money, if your lucky enough to get anythin....Work or get out to be ****d

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

No man, its cool I'd love to. Say, got any lube?

I should so have a law named after myself like godwins law. (This is not a observation on the validity of said anecdote).

i always wondered whether Godwin's Law worked on Stormfront...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

So, are we talkin about Asylum seekers/refugees or immigrants? Coz they're both very different, in terms of what we should expect them to do, and what they should be entitled to.

Or are we just having a rant about Nigerians in general??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

tallaght01 wrote: »
    So, are we talkin about Asylum seekers/refugees or immigrants? Coz they're both very different, in terms of what we should expect them to do, and what they should be entitled to.

Or are we just having a rant about Nigerians in general??

The title of the thread is "those damn fordiners agin" but the post itself was aimed towards initiating a discussion regarding the FACT that as a group Nigerians are way ahead of the possie when it comes to sponging of the government in terms of % population.

Although threads like this can be used as a soap box for the "taximan" or the "looneyleft" agenda types that likes the sound of there own typing so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I only think it should all be done fairly.

I.E:
    when i was out of work i was told i was entitled to nothing. Me, a long time working citizen who was conned by employer and given fake p60's.Then they removed my medical card.

Did you go to the guards?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement