Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regenerating grass

Options
  • 19-08-2008 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I have a very large area of lawn - almost two acres in a limestone area - which I have just had cleared of briars and ferns. Five years ago it was rich green grass but I let it go wild due to illness and now with the briars and ferns cut it is very bare. Does anyone know if the grass will grow back naturally - I'm too old to re-seed it - and what fertilizer will help this. Is fertilizer high in Phosphorous and Potassium such as 7/6/17 or even 0/7/30 a good type to use for this.
    Mny thanks,
    Mikecb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

If you keep cutting it short the grass will regrow naturally. You will kill the ferns and briars by continuously cutting and the grass which is more tenacious will remain. Putting any type of fertiliser probably wont harm it but why bother if you don't want too much work. Also, as you have found out, grass needs constant physical attention so I don't know if you want to hand mow 2 acres. You would have to buy a ride-on if you want to keep it all in grass.

By the way your never too old to reseed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Wouldn't harm to put down some seeds. The hard work is in mowing the stuff.

Advertisement