Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boilers dying in housing estate

Options
  • 19-08-2008 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

Recently my gas boiler has died again, for the 3rd time in 5 years.
    It seems I need to get it replaced.
    Many of my neighbours have had the same problem and many had to get new boilers.
    It seems to be a common problem in this housing estate built 5yrs ago,
    and possibly down to shabby work or defective parts.
    Anyone know if we have any come back with the builder ?
    I looked into home bond but they seem to only cover major structural defects.

TIA,
    HD

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It sounds more like its to do with the make/model of boiler used, than anything else. It could well be that there may be an inherent design flaw with the particular model of boiler used, or indeed in the manner in which it was installed (though if you're on your third, I would suggest its the former rather than the latter). Normally you will have received the manual for your boiler, with all its details, in the stack of bumpf when you bought your house- check out the make and model, and perhaps ring the manufacturer?

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

Your best of course of action would be to get fellow neighbours in the same situation and write down in a collective manner the list of issues with the boiler.
    Then approach the builder as a group and inquire the course of action that is needed.

Also have you looked into getting an engineer from the manufacturer of the boiler to inspect? It could be nothing to do with the boiler - could be pipe work - perhaps the boiler is undersized.
    It gets harder to do get something done from the builder the longer the issue goes on. He doesn't have to do anything unless he admits something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Any neighbour that has replaced has used a different model with no problems so far.
    Mine has been repaired twice so far, >400EUR each time.
    This time I think I'll just get it replaced with a different one.
    The thing is the builder has a reputation of wiping his hands of any responsibility.
    I've mentioned it to him already but he has stated it's not his problem.
    Is there any gov body I can turn to for shabby workmanship ?

Cheers,
    HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

I had to replace my gas bolier earlier this year. I heard from the installer that many new houses get fitted with a boiler that is undersized for the size of the house and number of radiators.

What did you have to get replaced each time? What's the make of the boiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

by the way, we got a Baxi but I heard afterwards that Bosch do a better one. Not much more expensive. It cost us 2200 Euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Thanks for the reply Dopey.
    Each time I had to get the circuit/control board replaced.
    It takes ages to get delivered also.
    I don't have the make of my current boiler at hand but will check it out this evening.
    Thanks for the tip on Bosch one.. I'll keep it in mind.
    HD

Advertisement