Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know when the new swimming pool is going to be opened?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Somebody hasn't seen Zoolander!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Aww gotta love that Zoolander!!

I have a scheduled visit for my club on Wednesday evening so have no probs taking down a few notes and letting people know what it's like. My club owner saw it last week and said it's brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭lastsaturday

folks anyone know if they have a squash court in the leisure centre? there are none in greystones and i'll be delighted if they have thought to put one in.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

haven't seen any mention of squash courts, so probably no.

• Advertisement

Nope, see the post above from me which shows everything thats in the new community centre

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BonnieD

Really disappointed to see the literature picked up in the new centre. The annual memberships are expensive, particulary as you have to pay for ALL classes in addition to your membership. There's no membership for pool-only, and the times you can use the pool are also limited, so you can't use the pool when you please. I realise it is operated by a private company but at the same time, alot of fund raising went into this place by the people of Greystones. Seems the private operators have landed a really cushy number!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

The annual membership isnt expensive at all compared to other places, you obviously havent priced around. In most places classes are additional anyway and the classes aren't always run by the company they rent the rooms out for people to come in and organise the classes.

Pool times are limited everywhere if you have ever noticed there is always certain times set for schools, clubs, parent & toodlers etc.

The gym is restricted for an hour or two on certain days for gym members which i think is a great idea when your paying membership, and its not really effecting anyone bcoz its outside peak hours as far as i remember (i could be wrong on that).

But your totally wrong imo there is nothing 'Cushy' about it. It has brought alot to Greystones and over all is very welcomed and anyone ive spoke to thinks its very reasonably priced too. Eh...3 euro swims at certain times, you cant go wrong there! :D

Oh I was meant to get back to you guys with a number, I got it but left it in the office! Opps lol! I'll stick it up tomorrow but my friend just dropped in the other day and got a tour around without ringing in advance. She was very impressed, the gym staff were there to speak to. One of the ladies was asking what kind of programme they would do for her because she has dodgey hip and they were able to tell her things they would set out for her and machines she should stay off etc.

Overall I think its a Yay for the new greystones pool! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Yes very reasonable. Needs to a be a fee of some relavance or will be taken over by scumbags from nearby.A charge will hopefully keep them out. They can wash in a bath like everyone else.

BonnieD wrote:
    I realise it is operated by a private company but at the same time, alot of fund raising went into this place by the people of Greystones. Seems the private operators have landed a really cushy number!

Its not privately run - its owned by the council and Shoreline Leisure is a company the council itself has formed to run the pools.
    Jemmy wrote:
    The annual membership isnt expensive at all compared to other places

the annual membership is expensive compared to the most relevant local alternatives - the other council run pools in Wicklow and Arklow (and in Sth Dublin). Why would people in Bray and Greystones have to pay more and have fewer payment options.

Comparisons with JS or the Glenview are irrelevant - the main purpose of the new complex is the pool, this is what people have asked and campaigned for over the last 2 decades. Most people aren't going to use the gym and shouldn't have to pay for it.
    Yes very reasonable. Needs to a be a fee of some relavance or will be taken over by scumbags from nearby.A charge will hopefully keep them out. They can wash in a bath like everyone else.

what the hell is this supposed to mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 and76

Can anyone post what type of fee's you're talking about or is this not allowed by the moderator?
    Just wondering are the aerobics and other classes available by themselves i.e pay as you go or do you have to sign up to some sort of membership.
    Also how much is the pay as you go swimming? Brays is €7.20/a go.?
    Thanks!

Jemmy, I have to disagree. By Direct Debit for a family of four, it is almost EUR 1200! We were paying 1300 in Jackie Skelly's. Most classes in other gyms are NOT pay as you go, certainly not the Aqua Fit, or the aerobic or Spin classes. Usually, it is the likes of Pilates etc. that you have to pay for. If I were to take two aerobic classes a week, and have to pay in addition, it would certainly push me over the cost in JS.

I am inclined to agree with Loyatemu about the fact that most families will not be looking for the full membership, but there is no facility for a pool only membership. It looks like we are being pushed into the costly pay as you swim option (which is dearer than the likes of Coral) or the costly full membership - not exactly what I'm looking for for my two toddlers!

I fully appreciate the fact that the pool runs closed sessions, but this has more than your average, and if I'm going to pay on par with JS membership, I want to be able to use it as often as I could there. I will be very interested to see if the cost of Schoolchildren lessons are what is payable in Coral Leisure or what is payable in Jackie Skelly's.

From a local's perspective, it appears now that this is just an alternative to JS, and not a particularly competitive one at that. Roll on Ben Dunne, maybe then we might get a decently priced alternative, and not have to fundraise also to pay for it!

Single EUR 54.04 per month
    Dual EUR 89.01 per month
    Family EUR 99.46 per month
    Over 55's EUR 44.96 per month
    Student EUR 44.96 per month
    Additional Child EUR 15.44 per month

Pay as you go
    Adult Swim EUR 7.20
    Child Swim EUR 4.00
    Swim for all (limited times) EUR 3.00
    Gym EUR 10.00

Since the timetable for the pool is quite structured, and there is a minimum of 5 closed sessions each day (except sunday), it would appear that the pay as you go option will entitle you to One Hour in the pool, but perhaps Jemmy could verify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Well the DD monthly fees are more expnsive than Jackie's down the road! Can't begin to understand why this is possible:mad:

Not having a swim only membership package for families is disgraceful when so many people put so much hard work into fundraising to have this facility in our area.

Kids school lessons though are resonable they got a note from school yesterday saying 50EUR for 10 lessons. Less than half price of JS.

Good to know Dubsgirl, that at least the Kids School Lessons are on par with what they are paying in Coral at the moment. Other than that, it looks like a pretty costly place, particularly if you want to do any aerobic type classes in addition, or if you just want to swim regularly with your family.

You guys are unbelievable you say you've waited for this for years and now you have it you have nothing but negative thoughts on it.

Have you even dropped in to see what the facilities are like?
    Or approached the management on pool only deals?
    I doubt it, you wont get anywhere moaning about it, enquire.

Sorry mods but people have no problem giving out but rarely go ask about these things. And i cant compare to Jackie Skellys personally but from what i was told by a close friend who was a member there and a regular gym user, greystones is a hell of alot better.

Also any gym ive been to classes have had a pay as you go option but from the information i got nothing says that is the only option in Greystones.

It is only opening up of course there is going to be a few bumps in the process like anything. Whats the old saying...ask and you shall receive! Try it what have you got to lose!
    BonnieD wrote: »
    Since the timetable for the pool is quite structured, and there is a minimum of 5 closed sessions each day (except sunday), it would appear that the pay as you go option will entitle you to One Hour in the pool, but perhaps Jemmy could verify this.

I cannot verify anything and i dont appreciate your smartness. Im just giving my opinion like everyone else on the information and leaflets i received from my visit to the pool.

But from my personal experience in the Wicklow pool (only one ive been to recently) you'll find that pay as you go only entitles you to an hour. I think this is only right otherwise you will just have people in there taking advantage. I dont think the gym is restricted to the hour tho that would be ridiculous.

But for anyone who wants it the Greystones pool office number is 01 2878180 and the email is greystonesleisurecentre@gmail.com . But if you drop in the manager is knocking around most days as far as i know.

Just to clarify I have nothing to do with the pool, eventho BonnieD seems to think otherwise, I got the contact from the sheets i was given when i dropped in.

Apologies Jemmy but your original post did resemble almost a sales pitch, so I did think you were somewhat involved. I wont apologise however for not jumping up and down at what is being sold to us now.

Personally, I know people who have had direct debits running monthly already to fund the building of this complex, and a hell of a lot of fundraising, so asking them to fork out the price of a JS or equivalent membership is at bit OTT for my liking, particularly when that's not what they are looking for.

My husband has seen the facility and has asked the question about classes which he has been told are extra, and no, there is no swim only membership. I dont know what gyms you have been involved in, but as a member for 20 years in 6 different gyms, I never had to pay extra for the basic keep fit type classes. Also, according to the pool timetable, it's not an hour or two that the pool has special sessions, but at least 4-5 hours each day (bar Sunday). There is only 3 swim for EUR 3 sessions a week, at 9am in the morning, so I dont think there is going to be many people in a position to avail of that fantastic offer. I know all new ventures have bumps along the way, but usually in service or the general workings, not around the fundamentals such as what is being charged. This isn't a winge about a great new facility, it is about the fact that the Greystones people have already contributed to this hugely and therefore, shouldn't be pumped for top dollar now to use it.

Jemmy wrote: »
    You guys are unbelievable you say you've waited for this for years and now you have it you have nothing but negative thoughts on it.

Have you even dropped in to see what the facilities are like?
    Or approached the management on pool only deals?
    I doubt it, you wont get anywhere moaning about it, enquire.

In all fairness Jemmy you can't argue with the fact that it is more expensive than Jackie Skellys...

You also can't argue that there are no swim only family memberships.

Yes it's great that we have this fantastic new facility on our doorstep but I for one am incredibly dissappointed that our family will not be in a position to avail of it very often.

Hi All,

So am just back from my visit to the community/leisure centre.

The place really really is an amazing facilty.
    Our club was offered a tour by the Manager, he brought us around himself and discussed our issues and concerns with moving premises and seemed to be very accommodating, as far as he could.

When we entered, we came to a large reception area, we were told that over on the left side where the windows are beside the pool, there will be a coffee dock. He first showed all 6 of us the pool and changing room area, it really is so brilliant to look at. Rows of seats as a viewing area. We walked all around the changing rooms, saw the sauna and steam room. Stayed in there for a while chatting about how it would work with the kids we train using the sports hall using the changing rooms and everyone from the pool using them - as matters of child safety and safety and health -wet floors etc), he was very good with our concerns.

Afterwards we went upstairs to view the gym, would be about the size of Jackie Skellys, nicely air conditioning (unlike JS) and it overlooks the pool, nicer than looking at a bare white wall. We were told that it was not fully finished yet and all of the equipment was not out. We were not really shown all of upstairs as our main interest was the sports hall. We passed a dance/yoga studio which was small but there was a partition covering up the 2nd half. Down another corridor there was more rooms, not sure what they were but there was also a viewing area over the sports halls which would be suitable for parents watching kids training.

The hall itself is brilliant. At the time the work men were putting in the tiered seating which seems to take up alot of room but in any case it is put in and out when needed. The hall will be divided in 2 to form 2 halls so 2 different clubs/sports can use it at a time.

There is not much leniency with opening times, our club was really hoping for a 9am start on a Saturday as they are our current training times but the manager expressed that a lot of the decisions are not his that there are people over him and then a board of control who have the final say.

The cost of the hall seems to be a little bit expensive too and we asked about the possibility of our training session being cancelled at short notice to accommodate say a tournament for another club which would bring in alot of money for the centre, so he would be silly not to allow them to use the hall. The Manager said that he would try his best to accommodate everyone... such as making sure everyone gives him alot of notice in advance so he doesn't end up causing hassle or disappointing everyone.

In all, I was delighted with my visit. It was great to finally see the place.

dubsgirl wrote: »
    In all fairness Jemmy you can't argue with the fact that it is more expensive than Jackie Skellys...

You also can't argue that there are no swim only family memberships.

Yes it's great that we have this fantastic new facility on our doorstep but I for one am incredibly dissappointed that our family will not be in a position to avail of it very often.

Ok well like i said i dont know JS personally but it has a pretty bad rep from everyone ive heard reports from thats all im saying.

I didnt argue about the swim only memberships, i think it would be a great idea and it is a shame there is none but like i said would you not approach the managment and pitch them the idea?

• Advertisement

I have mailed them to ask re swim only family package. No response as yet will let people know as soon as I get a response. But from what I am reading on this thread there doesn't appear to be one.

cool - I will be asking too when I get a chance to go down and check the place out.

Jemmy - no-one here is complaining about the standard of the facilities. The do appear to be of a very high quality (though the building itself is damn ugly:p) .

But when the prices are the same or worse than in privately run establishments, then I think we have legitimate cause for complaint. This is a public pool, it was built with taxpayers money and community contributions - it is not designed to be a profit-making enterprise (though I appreciate it has to wipe its own face). In particular I think the Co. Co. should be setting the same prices in all its pools.

Response here

Actually we dont do Only Pool memberships.
    We have Pool & Gym Family membership, which includes 2 adults & 2 children (child under 4 is free)...and the price for that is €995.

We are doing tours at the moment, so if you would like to have a look at the facility, you can come any time between 9am and 8pm monday to friday, or 10am to 6pm saturday & sunday.
    And we will give you all the details and informations.

We look forward to welcoming you,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

So let me get this right... there is no swim only tariff...?
    So what happens when someone the size of Mr Bean walks in, he is hardly going to use the gym..
    Also what kids will want to use the gym......??

Just another way to get more money out of you, paying for things that your not going to use..

Just like going on holiday all inclusive and not using the bar...!!!
    hardly worth it...

Unless there is a swim only option, i wont be stepping foot in the place..

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Response here

Actually we dont do Only Pool memberships.
    We have Pool & Gym Family membership, which includes 2 adults & 2 children (child under 4 is free)...and the price for that is €995.

just for reference here - Family Pool membership in Wicklow is €670, in Arklow €680

as several people have mentioned - why would children want to join a gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

loyatemu wrote: »
    just for reference here - Family Pool membership in Wicklow is €670, in Arklow €680

as several people have mentioned - why would children want to join a gym?

I would say, if enough people requested it they might (should) reconsider it.

As said earlier if you dont ask you wont get...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I have sent a query to them regarding the pool only membership. I suggest everyone does the same. If they get a large number of complaints / queries then they might sit up and notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Just sent mine...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

are you all thick? its been open since 24 november 2004, man you people are slow

• Advertisement

Overature wrote: »
    are you all thick? its been open since 24 november 2004, man you people are slow

Overature, not quite sure what you are talking about but it's not the new pool and leisure centre in Greystones. It's only open as such, for viewings at the moment. Not due to open until next month for business!

Advertisement