Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know when the new swimming pool is going to be opened?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

BonnieD, im only having a laugh my attemped at humour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Have a read of the Charter Overature, particularly the bits about abuse and flaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Just a heads up people

When meeting with the manager on Wednesday, wen we were trying to encourage him to open the place at 9 on a Saturday morning, he said that it is not his decision, there is someone over him and then a board of directors so he can't do anything in the near future for us in that respect. So I don't know what way it'll work for membership fees then

Maybe going down the lines of a kind of petition thing, rather than sending individual emails would be more beneficial?Not a petition but a proposal signed by people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I received a reply this morning stating that there are no pool only membership. I followed back with a further argument.

In the meantime I will pay as I go as I believe the rates are a bit too high for me and my family to justify a full membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Was just down there, v impressed with it.

They'll offer pool only membership if standard membership doesn't fill up, trying to get the most amount of people at full payment I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

was down there at the weekend - it is extremely impressive. Fantastic pool complex (with Family changing rooms, which a lot of places lack), absolutely huge sports hall with banked seating (big enough for 8 badminton courts), sauna, steam room, big gym, meeting rooms.

Still not happy about the pool prices, but overall this is a fantastic asset for the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bennyblanco

Sorry I havent read the whole thread,so did we get a when?
    Heard great reports,very excited about this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

October 12th is official opening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Rates seem decent enough, i havent had a chance to look at the place but does anyone know what the gym is like? Particularly the free weights section? I go into the City Center to train since it has the equipment i need so i was thinking of splitting half my training time with the new Leisure Center and my current place in Dublin. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 tonyd123

Is there an indoor basketball court? If so any idea on hour rates for evenings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

yeah i seen the basketball nets goin in last nite (thet're mobile afaik)
    the rates up-front are very good but the pay monthly rates aren't that competive.
    At €55 permonth its only €6 pm cheaper than skellys and from what i seen last night the facilites arent much better... the pool looks bigger but i can see it getting a lot of the kids from skellies.The gym is considerably smaller and theres a few machines up there i'd like to see.

Sayin all that,I must say its a very impressive facility and another great asset to the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

It a great facility it really is. BUT compared to other public swimming pools its not providing a service (swimming only family membership) that others are.

Wicklow you pay €640 for this, Greystones (if you took the membership option) you pay €995.

Why?

I have asked the question and got a answer that doesn't say anything other than Shortline are not considering a pool only family membership!!

Is it just me who is going crazy about this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

It's a scam just to get more money out of you....
    They should be wearing a mask..... Robbers..!!!

GingerDave wrote: »
    It a great facility it really is. BUT compared to other public swimming pools its not providing a service (swimming only family membership) that others are.

Wicklow you pay €640 for this, Greystones (if you took the membership option) you pay €995.

Why?

I have asked the question and got a answer that doesn't say anything other than Shortline are not considering a pool only family membership!!

Is it just me who is going crazy about this!!

no - I'm not happy about it either. Wicklow and Arklow both have this option, they also have a family discount for pay-as-you-go swimming.

Other pools in Dublin offer discounts like 10 swims for the price of 8 etc as well as having a cheaper basic price (around €5)

Greystones and Bray must be the most expensive publicly owned pools in the country. The facilities may be great but ultimately a pool is a pool, why should Greystones swimmers have to pay more than Wicklow swimmers?

See the offical response :mad:

"Hi David

Thank you for enquiry, unfortunately as already explained we are not a pool only facility. We are marketing our facility as a complete pool & gym package. This is the policy of Shoreline Leisure for the foreseeable future. Our gym and pool price for a family membership is cheaper than Wicklow . If a family as members (2 Adults & 2 Children- under4's free) only use the pool once a week it would only cost them €19.13 and they can stay as long as they want. We feel this is a very reasonable price. If membership does not suit you we have our pay as you go system as you are already aware.

Shoreline Leisure is a trading name for Wicklow Recreational Services run by a voluntary Board of Management hired by Wicklow County Council.

I appreciate your comments and if this reply does not meet your requirements please forward your concerns, in writing, for the attention of the manager here at Shoreline leisure Greystones.

Thank you"

So it's run by Wicklow county council but they have agreed upon a diffrent strategy for Greystones........I wonder why?

time to write to the local reps then. Wicklow and Arklow are gyms also - there is no reason to have different policy for Greystones and Bray.

If people wanted to join a gym there are plenty already in the area, and kids have no use for a gym anyway.

For anyone who just wants to swim - it is substantially cheaper to go to Wicklow, Stillorgan or Monkstown.
    For anyone who wants gym\swim and fitness classes its cheaper to join Jackie Skelly's (as the classes are mostly free with membership)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

loyatemu wrote: »
    time to write to the local reps then. Wicklow and Arklow are gyms also - there is no reason to have different policy for Greystones and Bray.

If people wanted to join a gym there are plenty already in the area, and kids have no use for a gym anyway.

For anyone who just wants to swim - it is substantially cheaper to go to Wicklow, Stillorgan or Monkstown.
    For anyone who wants gym\swim and fitness classes its cheaper to join Jackie Skelly's (as the classes are mostly free with membership)
    And if you drown in their(JS) life guardless pool you'll probably get charged on DD indefinitely. Really! Is this state of the art facility not great value?

It's new....lets not get too carried away with "state of the art".
    Lets face it - a pool gym and the other facilities it offers in a small town should be the norm (for a country which was once the wealthiest in Europe)

Its a long term public facility so they should take a long term point of view and charge a "simular" amount to other places run by WCC- not +30% more for effectively a family swim membership.

Don't get me wrong its a good (far from state of the art) facility, well worth waiting 25 years or so for BUT I believe they are not providing a product that a large amount of people would use- a family swim only membership. Why? €€€€€...i guess.

And if you drown in their(JS) life guardless pool you'll probably get charged on DD indefinitely. Really! Is this state of the art facility not great value?

its reasonable value if you want to use all the facilities (I don't know how the gym compares with the private gyms - running and cycling on the spot are not really my thing)

but if you just want to swim - no its not good value.

Less than €10 a week for annual membership!. Hardly a fortune. I think that there is a very fine line between affordable for most and too expensive for scumbags. I think they've got the price about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

Less than €10 a week for annual membership!. Hardly a fortune. I think that there is a very fine line between affordable for most and too expensive for scumbags. I think they've got the price about right.

!!!......Define Scumbag...someone on a lower income than yirself whos interstested in using a publicly funded leisure amenity.

cos I can really see a strong demand from "hoods" in tryin to get in and hang around the cross-trainers....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

"scumbags" are defined by their actions, not their incomes. No need for that kind of snobbery here.

And there are lots of people who cant afford €10 a week for something that is good for them! As opposed to €10 a day on fags, whatever. Really, come on! Tell me that there is evidence to suggest that when something is free or next to free that it's not abused.There is plenty of evidence to the contrary. And what do you know about my income? I am not a snob. I just believe that this is a good facility and is good value at the prices listed. If people(hoodies included) invest in something they will respect it. If it's handed to them on a plate they wont. Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Hammiepeters I really think you are missing the point here. Main complaint on this thread is that there is no option for a family swim only membership. You may think that the full membership is good value for money however with 2 adults and 2 children who are not going to be using the gym it's not. Just because people are unable/unwilling to pay 995 for a family membership to swim only does not warrant the posts you are making saying that they should pay a tenner for something thats good for them! who are you to talk about what people should and shouldn't pay? Also you seem the make reference to "scumbags" quite a lot on this forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Hammie, shall we introduce suitablity tests for membership? If you carry on using language and references like that, they won't let you in either. Money doesn't cancel out the need for manners.:)

That is one of the most ridiculous arguments I have heard. It is a facility for the use of everyone and should be priced accordingly. It is not some middle class haven you know!

It's yet another example of rip off Ireland. I can't believe so many people are taking out memberships. I will not pay it and I will not use the pool on a regular basis for economic reasons and on principle. A private business can charge what they like but a community facility - woeful behaviour.

My local pool back home, which is similar to this one and certainly would be classed as standard not state of the art, charges £2.60 for an adult swim. How can 4 euro for a child, let alone 7.20 for an adult be classed as acceptable.

I truly think Ireland has lost the run of itself.

Swimming, especially for children, should be accessible - not a privilege.

No wonder it's boxing medals at the Olympics and not swimming .. :rolleyes:

My local pool back home, which is similar to this one and certainly would be classed as standard not state of the art, charges £2.60 for an adult swim. How can 4 euro for a child, let alone 7.20 for an adult be classed as acceptable.

There's a €3 "Swim For All" option at certain times.

There's a €3 "Swim For All" option at certain times.

Thanks but mere tokenism - it shouldn't be at certain times. It should be priced fairly at ALL times - in my humble opinion.

When are the times that the great unwashed are allowed into the "haven of the middle class"?

When are the times that the great unwashed are allowed into the "haven of the middle class"?

Have you been down to the pool and asked for a timetable and a tour, or are you just going by what you hear?

Of course I have been down. I wouldn't comment otherwise.

It's the pricing and ethos I have the problem with - not the facility.

• Advertisement

There are options for a €3 swim, but if those times don't suit thats your issue, not theirs. The membership fee is for a community centre, not just a pool, and was never marketed as just a pool, so if you want to veer from the norm then don't expect the price to follow suit. I know you wont agree because you have already classed yourself as the great unwashed, so I wouldn't expect anything less.

Advertisement