Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know when the new swimming pool is going to be opened?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I know you wont agree because you have already classed yourself as the great unwashed, so I wouldn't expect anything less.

I was being flippant - no need to be personal.
    The membership fee is for a community centre, not just a pool, and was never marketed as just a pool, so if you want to veer from the norm then don't expect the price to follow suit.

I don't agree. The main drive behind the centre was for a swimming pool. The local community has been trying to get a swimming pool here for years.

If it was 3 euro ALL the time for a swim then that would be a different story. i don't understand how you can defend the pricing. You wouldn't pay 7.20 in other EU countries. No way. Why should we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Hammie, shall we introduce suitablity tests for membership? If you carry on using language and references like that, they won't let you in either. Money doesn't cancel out the need for manners.:) SINCERE APOLOGIES TO ALL SCUMBAGS OUT THERE.

That is one of the most ridiculous arguments I have heard. It is a facility for the use of everyone and should be priced accordingly. It is not some middle class haven you know! NO ONE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT CLASS. YOU DID. IT IS PRICED FOR EVERYONE.

It's yet another example of rip off Ireland. I can't believe so many people are taking out memberships. BECAUSE THE RATES ARE REASONABLEI will not pay it and I will not use the pool on a regular basis for economic reasons and on principle.YOUR CHOICE A private business can charge what they like but a community facility - woeful behaviour.HAS TO .FOR AFFOREMENTIONED REASONS.

My local pool back home, which is similar to this one and certainly would be classed as standard not state of the art, charges £2.60 for an adult swim. How can 4 euro for a child, let alone 7.20 for an adult be classed as acceptable. MAYBE THEY WANT TO ENCOURAGE MEMBERSHIPS. IS THAT SUCH A WHACKY IDEA?

I truly think Ireland has lost the run of itself.

Swimming, especially for children, should be accessible - not a privilege. AGAIN NO ONE SAID IT WAS.

No wonder it's boxing medals at the Olympics and not swimming .. :rolleyes:
    WE DONT HAVE ENOUGH DRUGS TO COMPETE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Hammiepeters I really think you are missing the point here. Main complaint on this thread is that there is no option for a family swim only membership. You may think that the full membership is good value for money however with 2 adults and 2 children who are not going to be using the gym it's not. Just because people are unable/unwilling to pay 995 for a family membership to swim only does not warrant the posts you are making saying that they should pay a tenner for something thats good for them! who are you to talk about what people should and shouldn't pay? Also you seem the make reference to "scumbags" quite a lot on this forum...
    Who am I to say? Who are you to say? It's just an opinion! And my view is based on the afforementioned reason that if people have invested in something, they will value it and demand that standards be maintained. If it,s cheap or free, they wont. As for scumbags. Well I could be specific. But suffice to say that Script Mark 1 closed down because of them and there was a motza of them at JS gym when that opened first and it's standards went to the proverbial very quickly. But really, I do get the so called ''main point'' or complaint. People are saying it's expensive. I'm saying that it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

There are options for a €3 swim, but if those times don't suit thats your issue, not theirs. The membership fee is for a community centre, not just a pool, and was never marketed as just a pool, so if you want to veer from the norm then don't expect the price to follow suit. I know you wont agree because you have already classed yourself as the great unwashed, so I wouldn't expect anything less.
    Comments like that will get you a ban. No more warnings.

Everyone else, play nice. Why does every thread that gets beyond two or three pages end up in a flamewar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

But really, I do get the so called ''main point'' or complaint. People are saying it's expensive. I'm saying that it isn't.

Went to the National Aquatic Centre yesterday with the family, this is by far the best swimming facility in Ireland.

Swim only membership for family in the NAC= €700.
    Greystones (not such a thing as a swim only family membership so you have to make do with..) Membership = €995.

If you just want to swim, which is a basic request in my opinion, the new Greystones facility for a family of 4 is 30% more expensive than the NAC.

So, it's relatively expensive to swim. Fact.

The fact that a public facility is not offering a swimming only membership is something i also think is a poor decision by WCC. Hopefully they won't get the numbers they were banking on (with the recession and all that) and then they will change thier minds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

Anyone know if you have to join in order to avail of the classes? Also what classes are on offer?

My 2 cents on the pricing... a public facility should not be more expensive than a private one...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

wingding wrote: »
    My 2 cents on the pricing... a public facility should not be more expensive than a private one...

Its not if you compare like with like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

Ah OK, I don't actually know how much JS is. I'm just going by what's on this.. Does anyone know how much JS is and how much Glenview is yearly. I did look at the Glenview a while back and was pretty sure it was less than €995 but that was a while ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BonnieD

If you pay by monthly Direct Debit and wish to do any exercise classes, it is more expensive than Jackie Skelly's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

GingerDave wrote: »
    Went to the National Aquatic Centre yesterday with the family, this is by far the best swimming facility in Ireland.

Swim only membership for family in the NAC= €700.
    Greystones (not such a thing as a swim only family membership so you have to make do with..) Membership = €995.

If you just want to swim, which is a basic request in my opinion, the new Greystones facility for a family of 4 is 30% more expensive than the NAC.

So, it's relatively expensive to swim. Fact.

The fact that a public facility is not offering a swimming only membership is something i also think is a poor decision by WCC. Hopefully they won't get the numbers they were banking on (with the recession and all that) and then they will change thier minds.

The 'FACT' as you put it is then on top of being able to bring your family swimming when you like you and your wife have gym membership for a year for €295 if you wanted to make use of it.

Now price a couples gym membership separately and how does it work out?!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Its only €7 for a swim in bray not to bad tbh

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Swimming charges are a complete rip off (like so many other things) in Ireland.

In the Netherlands, it costs €3 to €3.50 for a hour's swim in all their public swimming pools at any time.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Swimming charges are a complete rip off (like so many other things) in Ireland.

In the Netherlands, it costs €3 to €3.50 for a hour's swim in all their public swimming pools at any time.

And in Iceland it costs about €11, so in comparison we're getting a good deal.. Using another country that has a different cost of living structure to ours isn't exactly balanced. Im sure the people in the Netherlands could give out it only cost 50c to swim in India.

I've been down to the pool twice, once for a tour and another to sign up and all of the people I met down there were very impressed with the facility and the cost to join up. That included singles and 2 families I know. Im not saying that everybody is happy but the vast majority are. There will always be a few who are unhappy, but you can't please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

And in Iceland it costs about €11, so in comparison we're getting a good deal..

and in Stillorgan and Monkstown its a fiver, a family ticket is €13, and you can buy 12 visits for the price of 10.

The price of a swim:

| Greystones | Wicklow | Monkstown | Dublin (Markievicz pool)
    Adult swim | 7.20 | 7.20 | 5 | 5.50
    Family Swim | 22.40 | 18.60 | 13 | 9
    Adult Membership | 495 | 355 | 400 | ?
    Family Membership | 995 | 670 | (not listed, but 52 visits would cost less than 600) | ?

The point about getting your gym membership for only 295 is irrelevant if you don't want to join a gym. People have spent the last 20 years campaigning for a pool, I haven't seen anyone campaigning for a gym. Plus, as mentioned, if you do want a full gym membership and are planning to do any classes then its cheaper to join Jackie Skelly.

OK - some of you think its good value, others don't. I do think its a fantastic facility - but I probably won't use it too often because of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Jemmy wrote: »
    The 'FACT' as you put it is then on top of being able to bring your family swimming when you like you and your wife have gym membership for a year for €295 if you wanted to make use of it.

Now price a couples gym membership separately and how does it work out?!

Who cares? No one went door to door in 1999 collecting donations to build a gym. The community raised money (shouldn't have had to, but they did) over a ten year period for a swimming pool.

But this likely won't be resolved to the satisfaction of those who expect a swim-only membership. The management's primary incentive is not customer satisfaction, but simply breaking even -- and they'll charge what they need to in order to meet that goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

Who cares? No one went door to door in 1999 collecting donations to build a gym. The community raised money (shouldn't have had to, but they did) over a ten year period for a swimming pool.

But this likely won't be resolved to the satisfaction of those who expect a swim-only membership. The management's primary incentive is not customer satisfaction, but simply breaking even -- and they'll charge what they need to in order to meet that goal.

Exactly Right!!

I'm hoping that a low membership count will make them see sense. At the moment they are throwing away a good revenue stream from swim only membership. With the state of the economy this doesn't make sense.

PLEASE...Anyone interested in a swim only membership....PLEASE e mail or write to them and ask them why its not offered. I'm hoping at some point things will change.

At the moment they are throwing away a good revenue stream from swim only membership. With the state of the economy this doesn't make sense.

Thats presuming that there is little interest in full price membership

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

And in Iceland it costs about €11, so in comparison we're getting a good deal.. Using another country that has a different cost of living structure to ours isn't exactly balanced. Im sure the people in the Netherlands could give out it only cost 50c to swim in India.

I've been down to the pool twice, once for a tour and another to sign up and all of the people I met down there were very impressed with the facility and the cost to join up. That included singles and 2 families I know. Im not saying that everybody is happy but the vast majority are. There will always be a few who are unhappy, but you can't please everyone.

I think you'll find that the Netherlands is a very wealthy country with a far more developed economic and social infrastructure than Ireland. Also, the Dutch understand the term proper urban planning and corruption is very limited there. Iceland's economy, meanwhile, is going completely tits up.

So yes, Ireland is a complete and utter rip off.

by the way, Dublin City Council is about to open a new leisure and community centre in Ballyfermot at a cost of €25m - here are the prices they're charging:

Child Swim €3.00
    Adult Swim €6.00
    Family Swim €12.00
    O.A.P. Swim Free

Gym & Pool 12 Month €360.00
    Pool 12 Month €340.00
    Family 12 Month (2 Adults & 2 Children) €850.00

I'm hoping that a low membership count will make them see sense.

Do you really think they wont fill membership for a great new facility like that?

Come on!
    loyatemu wrote: »
    by the way, Dublin City Council is about to open a new leisure and community centre in Ballyfermot at a cost of €25m - here are the prices they're charging:

Child Swim €3.00
    Adult Swim €6.00
    Family Swim €12.00
    O.A.P. Swim Free

Gym & Pool 12 Month €360.00
    Pool 12 Month €340.00
    Family 12 Month (2 Adults & 2 Children) €850.00

Also I think if you checked into it the city council probably ( not saying they did ) got alot more funding than the county council for their centre. I could be wrong but the city has a bigger population.

Did you go door to door personally?

And yes the community raised money but from what ive read that is only a tiny tiny percentage of what the centre cost. The county council is now left paying back a loan like any one of us would after borrowing money, which isnt easily done by any means. I think it is totally unfair to say their "primary incentive is not customer satisfaction".

Bottom line i think people should the grateful for what the community has got. Now that you've got it after "ten years" you should all stop complaining and support it. But if you all want to avoid the place and spend the extra on petrol to drive further instead of supporting your local community centre then go right ahead. There are plenty of people including myself who will make great use of it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Bottom line i think people should the grateful for what the community has got. Now that you've got it after "ten years" you should all stop complaining and support it. But if you all want to avoid the place and spend the extra on petrol to drive further instead of supporting your local community centre then go right ahead. There are plenty of people including myself who will make great use of it. :)

If people just sat back and were grateful for what the community already has we wouldn't have a facility in the first place:rolleyes:

I don't doubt you will make great use of it yourself and fair play to you so you should, however
    From reading between the lines on most of these posts and also discussions I've had with various neighbours it seems that people with children are not happy about the lack of pool only memberships.

Did you go door to door personally?
    No, I was not a campaigner, but I was gobsmacked when they came to my door and asked for a donation of 100-200 punts for something that every community should already have, funded by their own taxes. I thought it ludicrous that the people were told by the council that this was the only way they'd get a pool. I felt terrible for the swimming clubs that they had to do this. Then, I felt bad for myself when I had to drive to Kilternan, Wicklow or Blackrock to get my daughter swimming lessons. And at no point did gyms figure into the equation, and especially not since a private one already popped up adjacent to a council facility.
    And yes the community raised money but from what ive read that is only a tiny tiny percentage of what the centre cost.

Whatever the percentage of the total cost, EUR 500,000 is in no way a tiny, tiny amount of funds raised by members of a community of this size.

The county council is now left paying back a loan like any one of us would after borrowing money, which isnt easily done by any means.

Really? I wonder why that wasn't mentioned in this article, which breaks down the funding sources. I'm not doubting you, just wondering what the details of that are. That could help explain why they're charging so much, and not allowing pool-only memberships.
    I think it is totally unfair to say their "primary incentive is not customer satisfaction".

That sounds harsh, but if pressed, I have no doubt the manager would tell you his/her job performance will be assessed on financial matters first and foremost. This is BECAUSE the council doesn't have a budget for things like running pools, which is WHY they're charging people for the gym when they only wanted a pool in the first place. I'm sure the council would love that it were different, as would I.

Why was "ten years" in quotes? And I don't think anyone is boycotting it, just pointing out that it costs more than other pools, and it's partly because they're bundling memberships with unwanted gym membership.

dubsgirl wrote: »
    If people just sat back and were grateful for what the community already has we wouldn't have a facility in the first place:rolleyes:

I don't doubt you will make great use of it yourself and fair play to you so you should, however
    From reading between the lines on most of these posts and also discussions I've had with various neighbours it seems that people with children are not happy about the lack of pool only memberships.

I can understand they are not happy but if they were available you'd all be moaning about something else.:rolleyes::P
    No, I was not a campaigner, but I was gobsmacked when they came to my door and asked for a donation of 100-200 punts for something that every community should already have, funded by their own taxes. I thought it ludicrous that the people were told by the council that this was the only way they'd get a pool. I felt terrible for the swimming clubs that they had to do this. Then, I felt bad for myself when I had to drive to Kilternan, Wicklow or Blackrock to get my daughter swimming lessons. And at no point did gyms figure into the equation, and especially not since a private one already popped up adjacent to a council facility.

Whatever the percentage of the total cost, EUR 500,000 is in no way a tiny, tiny amount of funds raised by members of a community of this size.

Really? I wonder why that wasn't mentioned in this article, which breaks down the funding sources. I'm not doubting you, just wondering what the details of that are. That could help explain why they're charging so much, and not allowing pool-only memberships.

Why was "ten years" in quotes? And I don't think anyone is boycotting it, just pointing out that it costs more than other pools, and it's partly because they're bundling memberships with unwanted gym membership.[/

I personally don't think it is ludicrous to ask for the community support. Yes coming to your house and asking for 100euro for a donation is a bit much. People think their community should have everything they demand because they pay taxes, but those taxes cover a VERY wide range of things across the whole country not just in their individual little towns. The council are limited to what they are allowed spend.

Ok it doesnt say anything about the councilss loan but do you believe everything you read in the paper? The council is rarely praised or wrttin in true light in the papers. I didnt mean a tiny amount my apologises but it also doesnt state in the article you attached that the two clubs who were fundraising were given a large sum of money from the developer towards their two fundraising groups. So its not all just raised community money like they claim.

The boycotting remark was not directed and you personally people on here had said they would travel somewhere else due to the costs.

I'm not gettin any further into this issue, it seems to just be turning into a blame the council or blame who we can thread and ive given my opinion. So I hope you do get your pool-only membership with some persistance which is possible im sure if you get enough people appealing into the management commitee.
    I hope you all at least take a visit and give it a go remembering not to judge it on the first few weeks as its going to be crazy busy just because its new and of course there may be a few bumps along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micandre

Is there one? I've done a google but without joy.
    ta

The url is:

www.swimmingisforthewealthyonly.ie

I'm being factitious. Sorry, I don't know if there is a website.

I still think this is a ridiculous price for a basic amenity. Yes, it is great to have a pool. A pool for all, or a pool for those that have the disposable income to pay these absolutely exorbitant prices??

No!!

Community Centre ... they are taking the piss in the name even!

According to the paper it's supposed to be shorelineleisure.ie but I can't open it..

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That URL opens for me, but it's just a holding page. It's registered to:

domain: shorelineleisure.ie
    descr: Bray Swimming Pool Sports and Leisure Centre Ltd

If that looks right?

eoin_s wrote: »
    That URL opens for me, but it's just a holding page. It's registered to:

domain: shorelineleisure.ie
    descr: Bray Swimming Pool Sports and Leisure Centre Ltd

If that looks right?

That's right. The WCC formed a company to run both the Bray and Greystones pools. It's called Shoreline, but I guess that is just a trade name.

so did anyone go to the grand opening yesterday? anyone had a swim yet?

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    so did anyone go to the grand opening yesterday? anyone had a swim yet?

Was down there this morning for a swim. About 10 people in the pool. First time back in pool swimming properly in 13 years. Absolutely wrecked!

Advertisement