Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know when the new swimming pool is going to be opened?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Vea

Hi, Pool looks good. Schedule is pretty tight. I notice only 4 swim for all slots (3 Euro). 3 early morning , 1 midday. Coral offer way better better off peak time. I also notice the Legionares Christi aka Millionares Christi exclusive school Dublin Oak Academy have got a slot. Surely such rich people can afford their own pool and give the slot to more needy cause.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭RAMPAGE1

My main problem with the place is the opening times are not flexible. Also when you get the timetable its practically all pre booked so you have no flexiblilty in when you can swim which is a major draw back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

I agree, I think the facility is fantastic but, the weekend opening times are a joke, and 9am some other mornings just makes it unusable for a lot of people. Suits me and the small man perfectly though, the 9am slot should not be too packed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

MrsA wrote: »
    I agree, I think the facility is fantastic but, the weekend opening times are a joke, and 9am some other mornings just makes it unusable for a lot of people. Suits me and the small man perfectly though, the 9am slot should not be too packed!

How do u mean weekend opening times are a joke?

I'm not happy with the 10 - 6 either, mainly because it's gonna be a huge problem for my club to move our training slots from 9am to 10am! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

The pool opening hours are being looked at and if there is sufficient demand for earlier hours they will open earlier, possibly at 6am.

The same applies to the swim only membership so let them know this is what you want.

When it happens it will be done in conjunction with the Bray pool and they will introduce it at the same time.

It all comes down to demand and letting the management know the demand is there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

Peared wrote: »
    The pool opening hours are being looked at and if there is sufficient demand for earlier hours they will open earlier, possibly at 6am.

The same applies to the swim only membership so let them know this is what you want.

When it happens it will be done in conjunction with the Bray pool and they will introduce it at the same time.

It all comes down to demand and letting the management know the demand is there.

Peared do you work for them? It's just i have inquired by e mail and been told "no not in the near future" to swim only family membership.

I was there on opening day and asked again and got the same response (with at least 10 other family's I heard making the same inquire with in 10 mins)

There is demand for swim only family membership and they must know this by now!!!

The recession and budget will make things very difficult for all so the management need to forget thier swim and gym policy and work on a value for money option asap.

If they had a reasonably price swim only family membership i'd sign a cheque tomorrow.

Hi, I've been using the Wicklow pool regularly for some years along with my kids. I've been looking forward to the Greystones pool opening. I'm even one of those people who made the 100 punts plus donation. Now looking at what's on offer in Greystones and the over tight schedule, I'll probably still drive to wicklow (24 miles round trip) to do my 50 lenghts. I have no interest whatsoever in gyms so I don't see that I should pay for it. I didn't donate for an excercise bike , I use a real one instead. The other matter is what is an adult?.Greystones say its anyone over 16. Coral(Wicklow) I think says 18. They don't allow anyone under 18 use the sauna or the steam room. ( why?). This age thing can make a huge difference to secondary school kids. 7.20 Euro for a swim instead of 4 Euro. How may beer cans can they get for 7 Euro. I think a more enlightened and less commercial approach to this project is going to be needed if it is to have a positive impact on the community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

How do u mean weekend opening times are a joke?

I'm not happy with the 10 - 6 either, mainly because it's gonna be a huge problem for my club to move our training slots from 9am to 10am! :mad:

I mean that they should open earlier at weekends. Not all of us spend our weekend mornings nursing hangovers, and some of us would love an early morning swim!

By 10am I have already been up 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

No I dont work them, am just in the know about the pools.

There will be questionaires handed out in the pools over the next few weeks asking people what they want.

Questionaires are of no value. The participants are at the pool using it. People like me won't be as the schedule and pricing is unacceptable.

• Advertisement

MrsA wrote: »
    I mean that they should open earlier at weekends. Not all of us spend our weekend mornings nursing hangovers, and some of us would love an early morning swim!

By 10am I have already been up 3 hours.

Maybe the staff will be nursing hangovers :P

Hoping to have a meeting with the manager this week, so kinda hoping to raise it again with him. He had said to us that they will look into it at a later date if there is the demand for it. And as I said before, he said it is not his decision that there is a board of directors over him.
    Peared wrote: »
    No I dont work them, am just in the know about the pools.

There will be questionaires handed out in the pools over the next few weeks asking people what they want.

Good idea.

Vea wrote: »
    Questionaires are of no value. The participants are at the pool using it. People like me won't be as the schedule and pricing is unacceptable.

Some people who have bought the family membership might also agree with you, of course questionnaires are of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

This really annoys me (not you Peared) - why didn't they do this before they opened, before they set the pricing...? You don't bake a cake and then ask people afterwards what ingredients they want in it.

If they are considering this then they must have a low take up on membership. I don't know anyone that is using it with their kids apart from through school lessons.

I truly hope people vote with their feet and force a rethink on pricing and opening hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

To be fair, they could have done a survey prior to opening, but it wouldn't have targetted specifically the people likely to use it.

Having a survey now, of the people actually using or visiting the facility, is a lot more useful.

Also, what's to say you can't just go in and ask for a questionnaire and then fill out and write what you want them to know that you don't agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I made my first visit on this week to collect a copy of the timetable. When I walked in the door I was greeted by the Manager and subsequently given a tour of the facilities by him personally (nice touch). I have to say the whole building is very impressive. The building is very spacious, more so than Skelly block.

I joked with the manager about applying for 'pool only' membership, he knowing that I was joking replied 'sure, no problem - its cost the same as the Gym and Pool membership!'. So that made me think, if the annual membership costs €495 (some €200 cheaper than Skelly and have better facilities), but you only wish to use the pool, how many times a week would you have to use the pool only before its worth your while signing up for membership where one swim is €7.20?! Let's not go into the issue of the level of cost for one swim. So, just go more 1.3 times a week (or 2 times if you are going to be pedantic). I honestly don't see that being bad value for one person who just likes swimming and will intend to swim at least 3 times a week.

The other thing which was outlined to me is that the gym has a good number of equipment, it wasn't busy when I was there but that will only increase as members sign up. If it becomes really busy they have capacity for change by increasing machines as appropriate. At the moment they have this one machine which simulates a steep, cross trainer and another one I can't think of - apperntly Skelly's don't have one of these. They plan to get more if it proves popular.

Another note as I think mentioned here before, any profit made gets put right back into making the facialities better. So all in all, things can only improve and by completing a survey with existing clientele they can happily achieve thing.

FYI, Bray is at 1000 memebers are they are going to have to refuse additional members...maybe they are scare-mongering with me on that information, but if you actually want to become a member don't hang around if this is true.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

astrofluff wrote: »

but you only wish to use the pool, how many times a week would you have to use the pool only before its worth your while signing up for membership where one swim is €7.20?! Let's not go into the issue of the level of cost for one swim. So, just go more 1.3 times a week (or 2 times if you are going to be pedantic). I honestly don't see that being bad value for one person who just likes swimming and will intend to swim at least 3 times a week.

Love the reverse logic, are you in politics?

You are right the high "pay as you go" fees make the membership look cheap in comparision.....yiphee, lets all be mugs and get one then!!

BUT (as shown in this tread) to swim only there is no way that a family membership for €995 is good value, compared to other PUBLIC facilities!!

As for membership closing due to high demand...mmmmm....may be ....may be not....i'd go with the not.

In a recession one of the first things to go is gym membership. The budget has hit most people in the butt for 2009 so those thinking of signing up might have to change their minds.

Ray D'Arcy on Today FM has a "fix it friday" where he finds the answers to peoples questions/problems. May be we should all requests that he finds out why a family in Greystones has to pay €995 and families elsewhere pay over 30% less.......:eek:

This questionaire seem like an opportunity to comment. It may end up with a more valued approach to membership being presented to the board or it may end up in the bin. Its worth a go.

To be honest those that would like to see a reasonably valued family swim only membership aren't asking for much!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Now that the place has been open for a while whats the general reaction?

Havnt been up there myself yet but interested to know about availability of public swims- are there a few hours available every evening? Cost?

Advertisement