Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BULBS - That's BEER time for all the newbies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Mossin wrote: »
    A pic to show that Java's has been renamed the Scholars Club

Tis true. It was because of legally-type things. The licence and other documents all listed it as the Scholars' Club; it would have been far too much hassle and caused too many problems to change it to Java's. The company that owns the premises (on behalf of the University) insisted that it be renamed as the Scholars, in case there would be problems of it trading under a different name than was on all its legal documents. Hooray for bureaucracy...we had a place called Java's for a year and now no one's too sure what to call it so all of this year's first years will be uber confused when people talk about 1) the real Scholars 2) Java's... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Is this place any good by the way? a coffee shop of something is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Its a Cafe-Bar thing that you see loads of on the continent. Not bad, its a nice alternative to the stables and the food isn't bad either.

It has a fairly laid-back atmosphere. During the day the food is slightly pricier than other places but the menu is better and offers something more than your usual burger-and-chips option. At night, the lighting is dimmed and the music is low enough to maintain a conversation so it's quite relaxed. Also, they serve tea/coffee/hot chocolate until closing (and they have a late menu with pizzas) so it's a good place to go for a quiet drink regardless of whether it's alcoholic or not. It's smaller and cosier than the Stables, but it's not really party central. Good alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Sounds really nice actually, definitely the place to go when your not up for going crazy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

it's still weird though, for us oldies who remember the old/real scholars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

fatgav wrote: »
    it's still weird though, for us oldies who remember the old/real scholars

I second that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Javers is great, options of a massive table for loads of people or couches for a smaller number...and they seem to have thought of acoustic insulation unlike the stables. The owners seem to be making a real effort with keeping things changing in there and getting involved with the university.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 púca-mór

Having evaluated the situation, and found it boozy - i wish to get all involved in this plean...

For those who know me, herro, and for those who dont (most ppl) herro too.

Much props etc. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

púca-mór wrote: »
    Having evaluated the situation, and found it boozy - i wish to get all involved in this plean...

For those who know me, herro, and for those who dont (most ppl) herro too.

Much props etc. :o

Hello :)

Its about time you said you were going to come along to our booze fest :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 púca-mór

The boredom of co-op has finally driven me to the warm nest which is boards.. :pac:

:D I knew you'd eventually succumb :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

:D I knew you'd eventually succumb :D

Everyone does in the end.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

So are we a GOGOGOGO for the first BULBS of the 2008-2009 year then in Week1?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

kaimera wrote: »

Affirmative, I repeat AFFIRMATIVE!

REPORTING IN. I'm a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Ok I'm going to take a deep deep breath to settle my shyness and say I will go. Hopefully. Maybe. Possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ergonomics wrote: »
    Ok I'm going to take a deep deep breath to settle my shyness and say I will go. Hopefully. Maybe. Possibly.
    no kilkenny folks allowed.

:pac:

no kilkenny folks allowed.

:pac:

Uh...that's a typo. I swear.

You'll be too busy writing. I have an opening for a right-hand woman (or a write-hand woman...geddit?!) this year. :pac:

Or we'll both go, hand in hand.

• Advertisement

Or we'll both go, hand in hand.

Kinky

Kinky

Wait until you see the 'toys' she has back home.

The Don wrote: »
    Wait until you see the 'toys' she has back home.

Hey now......................who told you about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Well I'm a big n00b going into UL, so I guess I might aswell come along for the craic. :)

i'm still in two minds, i won't lie

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

I might as well pop in, not exactly like I've a full schedule.
    Or any for that matter.

Well I'm a big n00b going into UL, so I guess I might aswell come along for the craic. :)
    fatgav wrote: »
    i'm still in two minds, i won't lie
    I might as well pop in, not exactly like I've a full schedule.
    Or any for that matter.

Cool, more new people :)
    This is an excellent way to meet new people and get to know what life in UL is really like, so FatGav, do come along and share some fun with us.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

We'll see does your username match up to our real world drinking exploits, Sir Baralot!

Cool, more new people :)
    This is an excellent way to meet new people and get to know what life in UL is really like, so FatGav, do come along and share some fun with us.

i'd like to mossin - if i'm not out with mary i folk that night then i definitely will. but monday is likely to be my first day back so i'll have to see how things are looking closer to the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

I think I'll come too since I want to meet new people and I have my accomodation booked.

Name is Chris, yes I'm a guy with pretty warped mind :)

Name comes from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back but I couldn't use the fourth word.

Hopefully people have similar interests as me!

Advertisement