Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plugin hardware solutions

Options
  • 19-08-2008 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

Ive decided to stay in the box , but avoid outboard for the moment as finance and room space do not permit

to process my tracks where needed
    I am considering getting either the UAD-1 ultra system ( pci - internal )
    or
    the power core firewire external

I will be doing live drums ( 8 tracks )
    6 or so guitar tracks
    2 bass tracks
    3 vocal tracks
    maybe 2 midi tracks

1/ anyone reckon which one sounds better ?
    ie best eq. compression reverbs (reverbs mainly for vocal and drums )

2/ any issues going around ?
    ( firewire if i go power core will have seperate firewire card to drive it in the machine )

I only have one pci slot for the UAD though - the machine is a server with one slot only -
    im hoping I wont have IRQ or probs with video ( this video is onboard built in )

3/ which one can run the most instances ?

if you can help I would be very grateful

thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

There are rumours of a new UAD card coming out, so it may be as well to hold off on a decision there - there could be a lot of cheap second hand cards available if that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭brettzy

teamdresch wrote: »
    There are rumours of a new UAD card coming out, so it may be as well to hold off on a decision there - there could be a lot of cheap second hand cards available if that's true.

It seem to be confirmed now. Here what I spoted in the UAD forum
    by UADINFO on Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:50 pm

Dear UAD Fans,

We are indeed working on a new UAD product to be launched in the future but the information you may have seen published on MF/GC websites was released prematurely.

We are not yet ready to publish detailed information/specifications about exactly what the product is, but we will of course make this information available to our customers when we are actually ready to launch.

We are certain that when that time comes, you'll be more than satisfied with the the direction the UAD product line/plug-ins will be heading in!

Thanks for your patience and support!

Customer Service
    Universal Audio

877-MY-UAUDIO (877-698-2834)
    +1-831-440-1176 x53 (international)
    http://www.uaudio.com/contac

Can't wait!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Powercore is pretty expensive to get the best plugins (MD3 etc.. about 1200 dollars i think) - the md3 alone offers something the UAD doesn't - so worth doing some homework (or buy both ;)

The pultec style emulator is great on the UAD plus the reverbs... but the powercore offers the non-lin... 2 very different beasts - but if i had to lose one it would be the UAD out the door for mastering or the powercore out for general mixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

http://www.solid-state-logic.com/music/Duende/index.asp

There's also this. Particularly nice when the Drumstrip is loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

What software are you using?
    If it is Protools le or MPowered, get ready for a world of pain if you use dsp based plugins. The lack of automatic plugin delay compensation will sap your will to make music. For example if you use a dsp plugin on a track and it causes 512 samples delay, you will have to delay all tracks without the plugin by that same amount. This gets even more complicated if you start bussing tracks or using lots of sends. Imagine trying to work out what to do if are using a card dsp based compressor on a snare, then parallel compressing it using a bus with dsp plug then bussing that bus and the original snare and the rest of the kit to another bus then using a dsp compressor then dsp eq on the bus. Makes my head hurt!
    If you are using software with full delay compensation you will be ok but you will not be able to track through the plugins due to latency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i use reaper , or cubase nuendo 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Duende is fine, but to be totally honest has been replaced (on the Eq side) by the Sonnox Eq... The Sonnox has even replaced the cambridge EQ on the UAD - which reminds me! - The UAD cannot be used for batch processing within wavelab etc as it crashes out after a few cycles... not good / and no fix in sight as steinberg/uad seem to blame each other for the problem.

The Duende can have random crashes within cubase which are hard to debug, but the UAD seems solid 99% of the time. Can use all 3 items without too many issues - but the Duende is usually first to complain and develop errors - have been in touch with ssl about this but the problems are to rare to even bother catching these days.

The sonnox plugins are very cheap for what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

Yeah, the Sonnox stuff is super.

Advertisement