Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Preseason Training

• 18-08-2008 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭

ILoveBeer wrote: »
    I have succumb to the mighty advertising of Stillorgan-Bird Avenue it is then.

I'm not sure whether to go along this week and train I was going to but I have a small injury(rib injury, it hurts when I breath and from what I remember from my school days, you need to do that while playing rugby) and I don't want to make it any worse but should I go and show my intentions?

For training should a jearsey be worn or is a t-shirt enough?

Really looking forward to starting though.

there wont be any tackling or ball work for the first few weeks so if u can run ull be ok to come along!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tddm

walshy123 wrote: »
    there wont be any tackling or ball work for the first few weeks so if u can run ull be ok to come along!

So what do you do in training the first few weeks.
    Wont make it tomorrow but will go Thursday.
    Away for a week starting the 30th but will give it a go anyway.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

tddm wrote: »

Run :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

tddm wrote: »
    Run, crawl, pressups, run, dodge, duck, dive, run, vomit, run, hit tackle bags, sit ups, run...

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kermitdfrog

Ouch! There's nothing worse than a coach who believes that pre season should be just fitness and no ball work. By all means, the focus should be on fitness - but there's no reason that can't be combined with ball drills, skills work, and even rugby related fitness drills. Last year we had that pure fitness kind of approach (as the Stillorgan lads will know as well as those from CYM, we had your old coach), but this year has been really superb.

Looks like the Stillorgan lads have taken over the thread! :D Our little CYM has been lost a few pages back, so I'll just remind those that are interested that we train Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm (currently in Bushy Park, ordinarily at our grounds in Terenure village. Check the website for maps - though you can's miss our home grounds, there's currently a huge 15 foot recruitment poster on the wall!). New members of all abilities welcome, contact us at info@cymrugby.com.

As I've (sort of) said before:

"...It's a really welcoming place, with players of all abilities - from experienced quality players right down to complete beginners. Great bunch of lads, good craic, and good rugby. New coach in place this year as well, new players joining, and everyone's excited about the new season.

We play on Saturdays and Sundays. 2nds play in the Metro J4 on Saturdays, and the 1sts in Leinster League 3 on Sundays. Although, there are plans in place to play some of the 1sts games on Saturdays this year, and hopefully coincide them with some of the big club nights.

As someone who's been a member for the last three years I'd recommend it to anyone. For the rugby, for the social life, for the access to international tickets, for the great bunch of lads etc etc.

If you are interesetd, drop a mail to the email address info@cymrugby.com or fill out the form on our website (http://www.cymrugby.com) (a work in progress)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Ouch! There's nothing worse than a coach who believes that pre season should be just fitness and no ball work.
    The ELV's this year mean folks have to be a bit fitter than before..

One of the things which I liked about Stillorgan when I joined last year was that it was not just blind running. We are doing drills and skill work, while it was all hard work, its helpful to your all around game. Which is what J3 and J4 training should be all about.

From the point of view of the Stillorgan J4 fatties [ie: those of us who are here on the internent and not outside doing real jobs!], a lot of the games we lost last season were by less than a single score, including several where we conceded a late score after we had a lead and had ran out of steam. So we don't want that happening this year so there is an extra bit of effort as we want revenge on a team or two :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I split these from the "So you wanna play rugby" thread as they were taking from the purpose of it. Kermit I'll stick your spiel about CYM back in the thred unless you want to do it yourself.

Fair enough Amz, thanks.

The ELV's this year mean folks have to be a bit fitter than before..

Absolutely (though it remains to be seen how much of an impact they'll have at Junior levels!). But fitness training does not have to mean no ball work is what I'm getting at. I've had pre seasons where I didn't touch a ball for 3 weeks, and that's just wrong.
    One of the things which I liked about Stillorgan when I joined last year was that it was not just blind running. We are doing drills and skill work, while it was all hard work, its helpful to your all around game. Which is what J3 and J4 training should be all about.

Exactly!
    From the point of view of the Stillorgan J4 fatties [ie: those of us who are here on the internent and not outside doing real jobs!], a lot of the games we lost last season were by less than a single score, including several where we conceded a late score after we had a lead and had ran out of steam. So we don't want that happening this year so there is an extra bit of effort as we want revenge on a team or two :)

And you are absolutely right. I'm not saying fitness work is bad - hell, I've done more fitness work this year than ever before, and we're all (hopefully!) fitter than we've been before. It's not been easy, in fact, it's been bloody hard. But it's been good, and fun. It has not been at the expense of ball work, skills work, tackling, or, most importantly, enjoyment.

Our main aim is fitness with a focus, there's no point in doing fitness that's not sport specific. We might be able to run a marathon after weeks of running laps, but if we can't sprint from breakdown to breakdown without keeling over then there's a problem.

There's no reason why you can't incorporate fitness into handling drills/tackling drills etc.

You're more likely to get the best ouf of people when they don't notice that they're doing fitness.

I've played gaelic football this summer to keep my fitness up, we do a ten minute run around a grid at the start of every session. It's the most soul destroying exercise ever and it's what has made me decide that now that rugby is back I'm finished with football. I'm reasonably fit and I can keep up with the best of 'em, but when you're running around and around without there being an apparent aim it makes it difficult and it's one way of losing players, particularly at the start of a season.

Amz wrote: »
    Our main aim is fitness with a focus, there's no point in doing fitness that's not sport specific. We might be able to run a marathon after weeks of running laps, but if we can't sprint from breakdown to breakdown without keeling over then there's a problem.

There's no reason why you can't incorporate fitness into handling drills/tackling drills etc.

You're more likely to get the best ouf of people when they don't notice that they're doing fitness.

I've played gaelic football this summer to keep my fitness up, we do a ten minute run around a grid at the start of every session. It's the most soul destroying exercise ever and it's what has made me decide that now that rugby is back I'm finished with football. I'm reasonably fit and I can keep up with the best of 'em, but when you're running around and around without there being an apparent aim it makes it difficult and it's one way of losing players, particularly at the start of a season.

Couldn't agree more, particularily with the highlighted points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Agreed no point in being able to run forever if you can't catch or pass a rugby ball- it has to be integrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Agreed no point in being able to run forever if you can't catch or pass a rugby ball- it has to be integrated.

Third session back last night and we were doing full contact for about an hour! I'm battered! We were getting used to the ELVs. To be fair, they won't make a massive amount of difference at J3/J4 level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭accensi0n

First training session with Stillorgan, was good.

Right calf cramped up about 3/4's way through which sucked.

Need to get my fitness up big time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

accensi0n wrote: »
    First training session with Stillorgan, was good.

Right calf cramped up about 3/4's way through which sucked.

Need to get my fitness up big time. :)
    Don't worry A! Bryn was first to spew!

Makes a nice change, it's normally me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

barely have enery to type...

Pfft, lightweights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Don't worry A! Bryn was first to spew!

Makes a nice change, it's normally me.

Quiet you! I blame having far too many oranges and drinking too much orange juice today on it, oh and not playing rugby in 2 and a half years :p!! Would have thought a couple of 5k runs a week would have helped out a bit more though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

When did rugby boards turn into Stillorgan RFC forum :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Stev_o wrote: »
    When did rugby boards turn into Stillorgan RFC forum :p

Within the last week :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

resistance is futile..you will be assimilated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Couldn't agree more, particularily with the highlighted points.
    +1

During the season we used to have to do "ball skills and passing skills", it was basically running the full length of the pitch with 5 players passing the ball the width of the pitch, and it was basically full on sprinting with the ball.
    We used to call in "cute fitness" as the coach was basically making us do fitness work without us realising it, cute hoer mentality!

The runs at the end of the session albeit only for 10 mins always felt worse, when in fact we had probably ran far further throughout each drill before hand we didn't cop on to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Back training for the last 7 wks - mostly fitness and stamina training. Weights and strecthing as well just to keep the body loose. Started full contatc the other night and forgot the body aches for a few days.

Turns out that a lot of Junior teams have returned training early due to the new rules and the fitness levels have to be raised caus of the ELV's. First match is in 2 wks, pre-season warmup so it should be interesting.

Nukem wrote: »
    Back training for the last 7 wks - mostly fitness and stamina training. Weights and strecthing as well just to keep the body loose. Started full contatc the other night and forgot the body aches for a few days.

Turns out that a lot of Junior teams have returned training early due to the new rules and the fitness levels have to be raised caus of the ELV's. First match is in 2 wks, pre-season warmup so it should be interesting.

This is something that a lot of teams overlook in pre season and it's very important so you don't pick up injurieds especially early in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭chemicalfred

I'm 35, have never played rugby before. I do a bit of gym work, light jogging. Went to pre-season training with my local club to try it out. Had a great time - sprint training, passing drills and some contact stuff. I really enjoyed it even though I am a nooby. Only prob is I tore an adductor (groin strain) because I am not used to sprinting, that was two weeks ago and I still can't even jog. I guess it will be another two weeks before I am fully fit again. Once I recover Is it too late for me to go back to training. Will I have missed loads. I only aspire to join the 3rds and am happy just to train. I wouldn't expect to get any game time until at least next year (assuming I get a good run at the training). Am I wasting my time at this at 35 or should I give it another go? Ta for any advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Nothing wrong with playing at the age of 35! Enjoy it while you can still run.
    Anyway, there are teams for over-35s..... the veterans teams. Woohoo, I'll be eligible in 2 years! :D

guy i know is captain of the local firsts at 45, you have ten years on him ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭chemicalfred

Thanks guys. I guess I will give it a go so!

Advertisement