Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another Import Question :)

Options
  • 19-08-2008 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Folks , just wondering, has anyone imported a 2008 car from the Uk. What road tax system are you put under? c02 related or engine size related?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

tred wrote: »
    Folks , just wondering, has anyone imported a 2008 car from the Uk. What road tax system are you put under? c02 related or engine size related?

thanks

Haven't imported myself but if the car is 08 then it will use the new Co2 rated system. Anything older than 08 (including used imports) use the old engine size based system afaik.

Just make sure that the car has >6000km on the clock and >6 months old otherwise you will have to pay Irish VAT on it too to my knowledge. Check the VRT site to be certain before buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

tred wrote: »

thanks

Cars first registered between Jan 1 and Jun 30 have a choice. Cars first registered after Jul 1 are on CO2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

testicle wrote: »
    Cars first registered between Jan 1 and Jun 30 have a choice. Cars first registered after Jul 1 are on CO2

so they havent put in some sort of legislation saying, imported cars are no included. cool. thanks for replys.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just be sure the car is over six months old and has more than 6,000 Kms on the clock, or you will have to pay VAT as well as VRT.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 eyesofliverpool

New to to form but have some info that maybe you wern't aware of.
    If you purchase a new car in the UK and bring it back to Ireland you must pay VAT in Ireland.OK every one knows that.

Do you know you can claim back the VAT you paid on the vehicle in the UK in the first place ?

It does work, but of course no one will tell you !!!

• Advertisement

I have imported a 1990 Toyota Corolla GTI 1.6 from the UK but nedd a data sheet showing the C02 emission value for the VRT crowd here in Ireland.

Does anyone know where I can get this information as I have asked Toyota Ireland and I may as well have asked the wall for all the support I got !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

If you purchase a new car in the UK and bring it back to Ireland you must pay VAT in Ireland.OK every one knows that.

Do you know you can claim back the VAT you paid on the vehicle in the UK in the first place ?

It does work, but of course no one will tell you !!!

Sounds like you're not telling us how either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I have imported a 1990 Toyota Corolla GTI 1.6 from the UK but nedd a data sheet showing the C02 emission value for the VRT crowd here in Ireland.

Does anyone know where I can get this information as I have asked Toyota Ireland and I may as well have asked the wall for all the support I got !!!

You won't get anything showing CO2 emissions for a car that old. What you need is something showing the official fuel consumption for the combined cycle. A CO2 emissions figure can be calculated from that.

To get the VAT back you must pay the VAT in Ireland and get a receipt.
    Then you have to contact the dealer you bought the vehicle from in the UK telling him you have now paid VAT in Ireland.
    He will look for a copy of the Irish VAT receipt, and will then get forms filled out so you can claim the VAT back from the UK.

You basically get back 17.5% of the price you paid for the vehicle which is very nice.

Makes sence as otherwise you are paying VAT twice, once in UK and once in Ireland.
    Not sure if a lot of people know as the VAT crowd here wont tell you !!!

alias no.9 wrote: »
    You won't get anything showing CO2 emissions for a car that old. What you need is something showing the official fuel consumption for the combined cycle. A CO2 emissions figure can be calculated from that.

Any idea where I can find that information as Toyota do not seem to be interested in giving me anything ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Try Toyota UK? I don't think type approval goes back that far so you could be on shaky ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Any idea where I can find that information as Toyota do not seem to be interested in giving me anything ?
    Owner's handbook that came with the car might have fuel consumption figures.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement