Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil condensing boiler & UFH

• 19-08-2008 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I know this has been raised before but I don't want to go dragging up old threads and I am looking for some current opinions.

The plumbing first fix is coming up and whilst I have made provisions for geotherm I think it will do no harm to look at all the options again....

Has anyone got any experience of using one of the new oil condensing boilers in conjuction with UFH ?

What setup did you use and how do you find it ?

Best regards, Peter.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

I have a grant condensing boiler with underfloor heating & it worked away fine last year . A 3000sq ft bunglaow used 2600 ltrs of oil for the whole year. Our previous house 1200 sq ft would have used 1500 - 2000 liters with a standard boiler & rads.
    Stats in all the rooms were set at 18C. There is a thermomix valve on the under floor to make sure the water going out to the floor goes out about 38 C & returns about 20 C . There are flow restrictors on the manifold for the under floor to restrict flow in some zones as well , but I am happy with the condensing boiler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 boots1

V interesting bertie. My build is along similar lines...2600 sq ft bungalow with 1000 in attic & I'm currently wrestling with oil vs pellets. Decision to be made in next 2-3 weeks. Any harm to ask what type of construction you have, i.e. block v timberframe & what your insulation spec is like? Thanks, boots

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭lfcjfc

I have a 3000sq ft house running UFH ground and first floor off condensing boiler. Only commissioned couple weeks ago so cant really comment on running costs. But the heat is great - very uniform across the rooms - reckon 18-19C will be a comfortable temp. Turned it off for the tiler over 3 days ago, house still at 18C today. Mind you we spent a bit on insulation. So far, so good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

boots1 wrote: »
    V interesting bertie. My build is along similar lines...2600 sq ft bungalow with 1000 in attic & I'm currently wrestling with oil vs pellets. Decision to be made in next 2-3 weeks. Any harm to ask what type of construction you have, i.e. block v timberframe & what your insulation spec is like? Thanks, boots

I have concrete block with kingspan insulation in the cavity & we used 50 mm insulated slab on all the external walls as well ( the insulated slabs cost about 10000.00 including installation , Euro 40.00 a slab at the time) but it save on the sand & cement render on the inside.

Ceilings are 50mm insulated slab screwed to the joists with 100mm of fiberglass rolled out above it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭lfcjfc

Bertie1,

Can I ask if you leave your heating on all the time allowing the stats to call for heat when required or do you use a timer for it to come on and off for set hours?

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement