Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blacklion Vet Hosptial, Greystones

Options
  • 19-08-2008 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi There,

I have nothing to compare this vet to but does anyone know if it is more expensive than other vets in the area, I took my dog there a while ago for vacs, microchip, worms etc and it cost around 180 ! is this the norm?

I was told too that to get my dog spayed it could cost over 250, she is a medium sized dog,

I think it sounds pricey but again i dont know, first time dog owner

thanks
    Buzz Buzz Buzz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Dunno about dogs, but I took my cat to a vet in the town when he was a kitten (he had a nasopharnagyl polyp), and they refused to remove the polyp (which was interfering with breathing and feeding) but offered to put him down as he was unsaveable. Blacklion warned me that the op was difficult (they had to get a breathing tube into what was a comprimised airway as soon as the anesthetic hit, which was tricky timing and which would kill him if it wasn't successful), but agreed to try. The op was completely successful and I didn't have to put down a third cat inside of a year (one from cancer and one from a dog attack, both of which had been family pets for the best part of a decade).

They're very competent and they get the whole "pets are not food animals" mindset, so I have a bit of a soft spot for them. As to price, they were about par when I first came to them. Today, I wouldn't know - I've never needed to go elsewhere ever since.

And while I wouldn't know about dogs, the sister brings her dog there for diabetic treatment (isn't it lovely when all the neighbours feed your dog sugar-laden biscuits intended for human consumption? :rolleyes: ) and I've never heard a bad word about it from her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 buzzbuzzbuzz

Thanks for the reply sparks, good news about your cat!
    I did think they were really nice to deal with and gave great advice and spent a good while with us. I will take my dog back there but just wanted to know how they compared in price .Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

my parents bring their dogs there and they've never found it too expensive. Get pet plan though. I don't think it's too expensive. My boyfriend's family have the unluckiest dog ever and is constantly sick. She had thousands of euros worth of treatment over the years but because of petplan they only had to pay a nominal fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 boo-urns

€250 is a bit pricey to spay a dog. I got my dog spayed last year for €160 in Deansgrange. I'm a Charlesland resident but always go back to the Vet in Deansgrange as I find them very good and a lot cheaper than the local vets.

Like everything else, I think you should shop around and see...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 buzzbuzzbuzz

Thanks for the advice everyone, yeah i was thinking 250 is a bit steep. I think i'll shop around and see what the norm is.They are a great vet but i havent got 100 or more euro to splash about if its not necessary

I have gotten pet insurance too, definately think its worth it.

thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

We got our two dogs spayed / neutered for ~ €180 a pop in Dun Laoghaire - probably the same place as boo-urns.

Maybe check out the animal & pets forum, and see what the norm is?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I use the Harbour Vets in Greystones (I've 9 cats & 4 dogs so I am there a lot!)
    They are brilliant - not cheap, but the level of care is second to none.

Hmmm. Harbour Vets are the ones who offered to put down my cat...

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

That's mad Sparks. One of mine, Cotton, was having serious problems about 6months back. They found a nasopharyngeal polyp in her pharynx & they removed it without question.

I used to use Blacklion until they sent home a gravely ill foster dog to me, against my wishes. I got her out of there & straight down to the harbour. Enda in turn, managed to save her life. She had parvo & would definately have died if I'd listened to Blacklion. (Foster dog became a permanent resident!)

I suppose everyone is going to have good & bad experiences with both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 delgany

I'd have to agree with Cotton - the Harbour Vets are second to none. I would never hesitate to recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

I agree with Cotton and Delgany.

My cat may have been extremely ill only Harbour vets did a thorough investigation after Blacklion said "He'll be grand" down the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 VN101

Hi all,

I came accross this thread by accident but feel I have to reply. I am a veterinary nurse living in the general area, not working now as I have a young family, but I know what I am talking about. I have used both practices in Greystones and I want to tell you one thing - you don't know how lucky you are! Both of the practices are excellent in the type of service they offer. A lot of vets in Ireland are still of the farm animal mindset and look at a few dogs and cats inthe evening because they have to. They just don't care and don't know enough to offer a decent service. Either of these practices in Greystones would hold their own in any large city in the UK where the standard of veterinary care for pets has historically been far ahead of what was offered in Ireland (although we are catching up rapidly). If you have a gripe with either of them it is only becuse one is 9.5 out of 10 in what you saw compared to the other being 9.6 out of 10. Honestly, it's like saying a top of the range Mercedes has a slighly smoother gear change that a top of the range BMW! Go back to an old banger and you'll soon see that either are brilliant!

As to prices - €250 is not an unreasonale fee for a major operation like a spay. Too many vets look at this procedure as 'routine' and therefore can be done for cheap. Would it be routine for me to have my womb and ovaries removed? They may do it routinely but it is not a routine procedure - it is probably the most serious procedure your dog will ever have done and they treat it this way as should you. I had my bitch spayed there and they said I could stay for the op if I wanted (as I'm a vet nurse). Everyting they did was superb and I was watching with a well trained eye: calling me the day before to check all was OK and not to forget to fast her; admittance and going through the consent form and explaining the anaesthetic and what was going to happen etc; using the very safest (but expensive) anaesthetic drugs; using the best (but expensive) suture materials to tie off her arteries and sew her up with (no one would ever think of this but as I said, I know the difference and know it ads about €15-€20 to the cost); using really good pain relief meds; using all disposable surgical drapes, gloves, gowns etc (more expense); having a nurse with her all the way through from being anaesthetised to waking up and monitoring her anaesthetic with all sorts of gizmos (again more expense); calling me that evening and the next day to see was everyting ok and seeing her 3 times in the next 10 days until we took the stiches out (for no extra charge). Honestly, you can't have the best of care aand expect it cheap but as long as you get alue for your money you can't really complain, can you? To be fair I know the other vets offer the same sort of care but that was my experience with Blacklion when my dog was spayed and it couldn't have been better - it was textbook. Also I asked could I pay half of the fee at the time and the other half a while later and there was no problem. And then they got me in 3 months later to weigh her and make sure she was fine and not putting on weight - for no charge.

As I said I know what I'm talking about - I've worked all round both here and abroad, I've seen some fairly bad places and I've seen some really good places. This compares well to the best and perhaps is the best of all I've seen. They have all the equipment needed, it's all new, and they seem to really care about the animals and all the staff there are lovely. Alan spent ages chatting to my kids and let them listen to our dogs heart and gave them stickers and even took then out to the kennels to show them some kittens they were rehoming. And the Scottish nurse there (Ilay I think) was lovely - kind of held my hand the whole way through as she knew I was a bit nervous.

Sorry for rambling on but it just annoyed me to see little complaints about a place that I think is great and that looked after me so well. They really are great and I'd never go anywhere else. They have a website too.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

I got a cat not too long ago.I got her vaccinated in Blacklion,however,I later found out that the Harbour is slightly cheaper for spaying,micro-chipping,vaccinations etc.I had some trouble with the cat at first,and it being my first cat,I was a regular caller to the Blacklion vets.Anytime I rang,I spoke to a lovely vettinary nurse called Leona/Leonie???She was a huge help to me everytime I rang and never made me feel like the inconvenience that I was!!Despite the small price difference,I am still a loyal customer of Blacklion as they were so helpful and good to myself and the cat!

Yeah, I've met Leonie several times and she's lovely as were all the other vets and nurses there. The ethos of Blacklion seems great - always friendly and always having plenty of time for you and always taking the time to explain all the options. As I said I've used both places I actaully found their (Blacklion's) prices about the same as the other vets but their care is second to none. If they do charge a bit more all i can say id they're worth it!

wicklowgal wrote: »
    I got a cat not too long ago.I got her vaccinated in Blacklion,however,I later found out that the Harbour is slightly cheaper for spaying,micro-chipping,vaccinations etc.

Actually did a bit of research last week and it turns out that Blacklion vets are actually CHEAPER than the other practice in Greystones for many things - including kitten vaccinations and spaying so I don't know where you got your info wicklowgal but it's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

God I had a really bad experience w/ Blacklion although in fairness it was a locum that I was dealing with. My brothers dog had been knocked down and they had operated on him. About a week later I was looking after him and as the day went on he was becoming more distressed and seemed to be going a bit crazy. His injured leg had been left without a bandage [as per vets instructions] to heal and it was starting to look infected so I brought him back to the vets.
    When I got there it was just after lunch and there was no one else there yet I was left with the dog barking and whining non stop for about 15 mins while the locum and girl at the desk discussed their holidays. Then someone came in with their cat for an appointment and they saw the cat first? I was there for about an hour with the dog really going out of his mind before finally we were called in.
    The vet [locum] kept telling me my dog wasn't well behaved and I kept saying its not my dog and also he is distressed so acting out of sorts. We were having this same ridiculous conversation over and over again. Anyway, I wasn't able to hold him down right while she was going to bandage him so the girl at the desk came in to help. They started talking and the vet started bandaging his leg without cleaning it - the leg was clearly infected and there was dirt in it as the wound had not been bandaged for a few days [as per her advice]. I stopped her and she then spent about 30 mins cleaning it. WTF why would anyone in the world put a bandage over a dirty infected wound???
    The whole thing was unbelievable and cost something crazy for an 'emergency appointment'. Amazing. I was actually crying with frustration when I was leaving. I know I probably sound like a total nut job but this is actually what happened. NEVER again

• Registered Users Posts: 9 julieq

We got our first puppy last November and I have been attending Kilcoole Animal Hospital with him since his arrival. I have to put up this recommendation as I have used two Vets in Greystones in the past with our cat, and there is no comparison (too costly). Kilcoole animal hospital's service has been superb, worming on text alert, €3 per dose, €9.00 for flea treatment and any small problems that we have had were looked at a cost of next to nothing. The innoculations and neutering were all very reasonable and their friendliness and professionalism is fantastic. I wish Gail, Shane and the other staff the very best with their relatively new business in Kilcoole. I think that in times of recession with so many businesses going down it is only fair to credit those doing their best and I suggest trying them out to see what good quality service and fairness is available not to mention a genuine love of animals ! Our dog loves them so much he pees and jumps around in excitement everytime he goes there !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

http://www.kilcoolevets.ie/ These vets give a very good service. Very genuine and kind as well as very efficient.

That's the one ! Great logo too !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Just had dealings with Kilcoole Vets and I couldnt praise them enough, Our poor dog was very ill and unfortunately he died two weeks ago but the hospital couldnt have done enough for him or made him more comfortable, they were so good with the whole family too and I would certainly return if or when we decide to get another dog. After 10 years it is very upsetting to lose a dog but they were excellent. Full recommendation from me

Oh, that is so sad, you must be so upset. We have only had Alfie for six months and we are already besotted. (took about a week ... he sleeps on my head ! ... so much for crates !) It is amazing how a dog can become such a great part of a family but I believe that you must now cherish your memories and the joy that you pet had in their life and gave to yours. I am so happy that I decided to praise Gail and Shane as I believe that they are doing such a good job. I hope that you do decide to get another pet, so unfortunate that their life span is not as long as ours and we have to feel such pain. (I still miss my dog, that I had as a child, but lovely memories). If, in the future, you do decide to fill the gap of your pet with a small dog, please be in touch, I know an amazing breeder of Cavachons and I can only recommend highly ! I hope that the fact that you sourced really good final care is of some condolence for you and all the very best with your future pet endeavors and thank you for supporting decent and fair business. Before anyone asks, I am not related or with any business interest in Kilcoole Animal Hospital but I run a business in Kilcoole and I love when I get great feedback so I like to pass it on to others.
    Julie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Ye, we most likely will get another dog, but in a while, its still raw, and then will have to make a point of not comparing. Bailey was a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

20 years and i still wont get another dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

054CA165F17B4058A4288398B3804F92-240.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    http://www.kilcoolevets.ie/ These vets give a very good service. Very genuine and kind as well as very efficient.

I see the hospital has a cattery, has anyone used this??? Thinking of taking a look for my holiday in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

I have also used both vets in Greystones, but bring our dog to Gail in Kilcoole, I find the great.

Our dog loves them there, unusual for a vets practice.

They are also very kind on the pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

wicklowgal wrote: »
    I see the hospital has a cattery, has anyone used this??? Thinking of taking a look for my holiday in October.

We use Sophisticats (http://www.sophisticats.ie/) in Templecarrig occasionally. Uta and Colin run it and Uta is a veterinary nurse at Blacklion Pet Hospital. Both are amazing with the cats and their set-up is first class. We initally thought it would be difficult to put our cat into a cattery but once we saw Sophisticats, our worries disappeared. They are simply outstanding.

As for Blacklion Pet Hospital, they are terrific. Our little cat has had a very hard time of it and we have been in there more times than we would have liked. But Alan and Lesley have always taken as much time as we needed with them to talk through the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

My two cats have been going to Blacklion since they have been kittens and we have found them fantastic. When our cats were about 7 months old they got very sick. We brought them in and Blacklion was fantastic. The vet spent hours (even after he was supposed to close up) asking us questions to figure out what could be wrong. We eventually narrowed the issue to Lily Poisoning, we got a bunch of flowers from our friends and didn't know they were toxic to cats. The cats spent the night and the rest of the day in Blacklion and Alan even came in on his day off to look after them.

Thankfully they pulled through and it was all thanks to Blacklion. I cannot recommend them enough!

Our cats also stay in Sophisticats when we are away and we always feel so reassured! Its obvious they are both crazy about cats though I still feel guilty leaving them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

I used Blacklion hospital for my dogs I got a puppy who had blood stained diarrhea and the vet Alan told me to starve him for 5 days,surely an 8 week old pup would die from starvation:eek:but he insisted it wouldn't anyway I starved it for one day and then fed it chicken and rice. It recovered tg but I was given no medication. The cost was 120 for a 5 minute chat. I now have my dogs registered in Kilcoole vets as one of my dogs got run over and I rang Blackion and they told me to bring it to the vets in UCD as they were closing in 10 mins however I rang Kilcoole vets and they told me they were just closing too but to rush him there and they would wait for me,they stayed all night with my dog and although it was touch and go for a while with my dog he recovered. All this for 170euro for 3 days that he was there . Blacklion prices are way over the top imo.

Advertisement