Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 hermann

Hi all,I've recently taken up cycling to work and am still learning.

In addition to the great list posted by Verb on page 1, there is one other thing that has nearly caught me out a couple of times:

Coming along in a cycle lane, want to turn right, I check over my shoulder, let one car go past then I signal and pull out into the road. Now before I pull out into the right-turn lane, I check over my shoulder again. At this point the car i've just let go past, which wasn't going very fast, hits the brakes hard for some reason while i'm looking back, and i turn around to very narrowly avoid getting a close-up look at his rear upholstery. Lesson is to keep a good distance especially when about to check your back i suppose.

(ps aidanoffbeat above: that was crazy, the guy seemed to stop for long enough to have a good look and then drive right at you!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

hermann wrote: »
    Hi all,I've recently taken up cycling to work and am still learning.

In addition to the great list posted by Verb on page 1, there is one other thing that has nearly caught me out a couple of times:

Coming along in a cycle lane, want to turn right, I check over my shoulder, let one car go past then I signal and pull out into the road. Now before I pull out into the right-turn lane, I check over my shoulder again. At this point the car i've just let go past, which wasn't going very fast, hits the brakes hard for some reason while i'm looking back, and i turn around to very narrowly avoid getting a close-up look at his rear upholstery. Lesson is to keep a good distance especially when about to check your back i suppose.

(ps aidanoffbeat above: that was crazy, the guy seemed to stop for long enough to have a good look and then drive right at you!)

Something very similar happened to me a few months ago. It was on the stillorgan dual carriageway at the sliproad up "the hill" road. basically the woman had stopped to let me pass and I nearly planted myself into the back of the car. If she had pulled in as i moved to swerve left, it wud have been nasty. In the end all i got was a broken spoke and a fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

So... I'm now starting to wish I'd taken this guy's reg. Neck/shoulder started hurting last night. Hopefully it goes away! :eek:

here's some cctv of the incident:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tufwLmXBatw

Wow, that's terrible driving. I was thinking that maybe the driver thought it was a roundabout and he had right of way, but he stopped at the yield line and then went on. That's great that you got the video, really shows how it was completely his fault. You could possibly hang around the same spot and the same time for a few mornings, might spot him again and get his license plate..

I'm sure you'll be grand though, just bruising.

Advertisement