Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband - USB extension cable max length

Options
  • 19-08-2008 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I know mobile broadband is a joke speed wise but when its the only workable option I hope some posters will be able to provide useful steps people can talk to get better signal reception or reduce interference.

Does anyone know whats the max length the USB extension cable can be?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

5 meters iirc.

You can get usb powered repeaters tho, they take power from the usb host and use that to boost signals further down the cable at the cable join.

Or alternatively you could get one of these bad boys to give you a 60 meter extension cable :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Without any form of booster 4meters is the max length, but I've used 5meters with no problems and if you want more you can buy a cable with a booster built in like this one (only a quickly googled example) http://www.buy.com/prod/iogear-16ft-usb-2-0-booster-extension-cable/q/loc/101/10380057.html then your at least up to about 10meters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mobcdi

Do those repeaters need an extra power supply to boost the signal or do they take up a second USB port to get the power?

The usb to Cat 5 looks interesting but would they really work with mobile broadband dongle?

Advertisement