Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showjumps

Options
  • 19-08-2008 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Was just wondering if anyone knows where I could get some cheap jumping poles wings etc.. in Kildare or surrounding areas

Thanks for your help

Comments

You can make the uprights pretty handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Rosielee

Thanks Zaraba I still need the poles though... even the rustic ones would do nicely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Well I have several Jump4Joy and Polyjump wings, jump stands, fillers and poles and they're brilliant. Plastic will definitely outlive wood as well! :D You can buy the Polyjump and Jump4Joy poles in various weights (the heavier they are the more expensive they are), but I use the heaviest ones as top poles when jumping and then the lighter ones below the top poles if that makes sense? I also have lots of wooden poles which I bought from a timber merchant nearby. I bought them painted (because I'm lazy :p) and I think they were about €35 or €40 each.

Holmestead are the main stockists for Jump4Joy in Ireland, and Ladychapel Stores in Maynooth are stockists for Polyjump products :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Rosielee

Thanks a lot Alibear. I'll check both places out

You will be able to get cheap poles from any wood merchant.

We got our for next to nothing and painted them up ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

You will be able to get cheap poles from any wood merchant.

We got our for next to nothing and painted them up ourselves.

This is the best thing to do. It will take an afternoon to paint the poles and if you look after them during the winter (keep them of the ground/inside) they will last a long time.

It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to have a nice set of show jumps.

We bought poles of a local saw mill here and painted them luminous colours. One colur per pole. No striped poles. They were easy and quick to paint and give young horses something to look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭SanNJay

I'd agree, i wouldn't buy the ready made poles at all. there very expensive.

I'd like to hear the tips on making wings?

I have the poles,
    and i have the cups (made them to),

Sandra

You can make simple wings by essentially tapping a solid square stake. You can then add decorations to it using smaller strips. All you really need is a jigsaw and a decent drill.

Making the base is the tricky bit, we got a mate with a welder to make some basic stands out of steel.

Nothing fancy, but very adjustable and does the trick!!

Advertisement