Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Signal

Options
  • 19-08-2008 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

May be a silly question but not sure of the answer so though I would ask.

Does the strength of your routers wireless signal have an impact on your broadband speed?

I have a Netgear DG834N router upstairs and PS3 downstairs - I've been playing a game online over the playstaion network on PS3 and it's seriously laggy - not sure whether it's my connection or other players. When you host the game and it's laggy does that mean it's your broadband connection that's causing the problem?

I have a 3mb Broadband connection with BT (not one of the lucky ones that was upgraded to 24mb (not on one of listed LLU2 exchanges) or even 7.6mb (too far from exchange - attenuation is too high). Despite this I would have thought a 3mb connection was sufficient.

My wireless signal is somewhere in between 35 -> 50%

Thanks in advance.

EireEV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

you may have problems hosting a game as your upload speed would be pretty crap (probably 256kb [32KB] or less). How many people are playing?

Your wireless connection speed is between the router and the ps3, it should be sufficient even at 30% for your broadband speed, however if you're dropping packets, i.e. it has to send the data repeatedly you will experience lag. I don't know the ps3 well enough, does it have a tool/facility to test your connection?

All in all, your wireless signal won't have a direct affect on your broadband, other than not utilizing it fully. I'd try it wired to see if it's still laggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

sounds like it would be ok, i run xbox live via wireless, but i made a little homemade antena for the router that boosted the connection but 50% and works aok + im using 2mb up/download speed and its usually aok... the signals at 90% here and the xbox is conected via windows ICS also... so it goes... Router > wireless usb on the desktop > ethernet cable into xbox and the conections fine... even using the internet on the comp at the same time...

3mb at 35-50% shud be ok id imagine, upload speed is more important i heard for gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

-=al=- wrote: »
    sounds like it would be ok, i run xbox live via wireless, but i made a little homemade antena for the router that boosted the connection but 50% and works aok + im using 2mb up/download speed and its usually aok...

Is that a 2mb up and 2mb down product you have? If so you have it a lot better (for upload) than most :)

For hosting games, upload does matter, not so much when playing on a server or someones hosted game that has a good upload.

yeah 2 up and 2 down, it does the job fine, Im sure it would be a great connection if i had the xbox wired, but it would make it so much more awkward and inconvienent to do, so this is grand

Actually theres also a wii connected wireless in the oposite end of the house and the connection isnt as good but absolutly no problems at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

Personally, I always recommend using wires over wireless for anything other than just surfing around, this is because, unless you are using Wireless N products, you won't get anywhere near the performance with wireless that you would with wires. Assuming you own the house, you can easily and inexpensively, install cat-5 outlets. It takes a little bit of practice to get the crimping down, but for gaming, it is worth it. If you don't own the house, you can run the cable along the edge of the ceiling and wall, and have a very minimal visual obstruction.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah I agree but I would have to change the whole set up and system around which is pretty awkward, its not really a normal typa house, theres about a 90ft distance from the wii to the pc/xbox with the router being halfway inbetween, there at completly opposite ends.... the only thing i think i could do would be to put the router in the attic and run the cables through the attic to the connections =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

Yeah, that would be a pretty long run. I used to live in a farm house that was too far from the road to receive high-speed internet and so I built a antenna and used a wireless router to beam the signal down the house.

It worked pretty well, but storms would play havoc with the signal. Either way a lot of times for long runs, cable isn't the most practical solution :)

Advertisement