Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Researcher" ... does it belong in the "Postgrad" section of EDU?

Options
  • 19-08-2008 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just came across this forum and think its brilliant.

I'm currently a PhD researcher in the social sciences in UCD.

I was wondering if the proper home for this forum is in Edu rather than Science? Its a bit restricting to have in in Science ... it kinda excludes people like me (just found it by accident tbh) who are not strictly "science" related researchers.

It might be more inclusive if it was open to a broader audience of researchers in general (within the postgraduate section in Edu maybe?), with sub categories like "science", "social science", "management" etc etc etc.

Just an idea.

BTW, am I welcome to join if this forum stays in science? :D I am a "social" scientist after all ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

It is staying in science apart of the point is to discuss scientific techniques, use of statistics etc when applicable.

Social science is still a science and you are welcome to post any threads you wish here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Ok great ... I'll look forward to contributing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

PhD students make up only a part of the research community. The rest are post-doctoral researchers on contract or full-time researchers managing their own labs. Edu would really not be an appropriate place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Eh no, I'm not post-doc but I am a research scientist (industry), so any section of Edu would exclude me:(

Advertisement