Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula VEE

• 19-08-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

Saw Formula VEE mentioned in another thread, looks like a cool car. Would these be the cars you'd use in those track days in mondelo? I'd like to try them out.

I'd love to get into a motor sport or even just take a car out on a track.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

So there's no real way to have a go without buying all the stuff (like a car)?

I had a look at prices and it looks like I could get a good start car and equipment for around €6000?? Then another maybe 2g to race for the year, plus whatever a licence is? So I could get a start for €8000?? Or maybe cheaper even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Unless the license setup has changed recently you'll need to complete a single day on-track course at Mondello as part of the process. So if you're interested in taking to the track you should look into the licensing procedure and arrange to do the track component of it to get a taste of it. I think Mondello use Formula Sheane cars.

Ya, I had a look at the Mondello website and motorsport Ireland it more or less exactly as you said.

Modello have 3 courses in their motor racing school. Any of those courses would count or is there a specific course?

That competition licence that you get, is that for the year or for life?

I reckon I'll give that intermediate course a go and see how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Yup Formula Vee`s are the best single seater class in the country in my opinion (Im slightly biased see photo in my sig). They are the cheapest to run pretty much bullet proof and we always have a large grid of over 30+ cars. You cant use them on track days but you can on test days. In order to do a test day you will need a motorsport licence which you can get the details on www.motorsportireland.com.

That said once you get into motorsport you cant leave it! So expect to spend all your money on it :) Failing that you can bring you own car to a track day and have a go around the track

Lighting how much does it cost a season to run the cars?

I know you'll probably say how long is a piece of string:D but what would be the average to race one year in a Formula Vee series?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If I were you I'd contact Motorsport Ireland about the courses to make sure that the course you sit is valid for license purposes.

The license is valid for a calendar year. You'll need a medical first time out and (based on your age) probably every second year after that.

• Advertisement

They way I look at it you have a few choices these are:

1) Do the motorsport course to get your licence (e200) and rent a car for a season.

2) Go do a track day in your own car or a friends car and have some fun around the track (e250-400)

3)Do the motorsport course to get your licence (e200) and buy a decent vee for around (e4000-6000) and run the car yourself and just pay the race entries (e225-250)

4) Do the Mondello Race school (where I work) and get professional advice from a racing driver (like me:)) and try out a Formula Sheane single seater (e249).

In my view the school or the track is a good idea as you get a taste of whats its like without spending a large sum of money. Some people get out a single seater and say they prefered the saloon part of the course. You may want to do some Tin top racing like the Fiat Puntos/Uno`s. As seasons racing like you said can cost as much as you want but the more testing you do the quicker you will be!

Three questions:

1)Can you enter as many or as few races as you want? For instance could I just pick and choose when I want to race and just pay the 250euros a go?

2)How does testing work out? Are there special testing days in Mondello or do you just go to track days? If its the former how much does testing cost?

3)How do the Vee's compare to the Sheanes at the Mondello race school? Ive done the beginner and intermediate courses...they seem pricey but worth every penny, two of the most memorable days of my life. Id advise them to anyone who is even contemplating motorsport (all the coaches seem really helpful as well and its worth the price alone to see them drive and get feedback from them). The Sheanes are absolutely beautiful to drive!

Thanks.

1) You can enter as many or as little races as you want. Some of the guys only do the mondello races and dont bother travelling up to Kirki. You can just pay the entry few and just get your car running and you are good.

2) Testing is only on designated test days not the track days, testing if I remember is around 225 euro for a half day.

3) Im glad you enjoyed your days up in the race school, I myself work up in the school as one of the aformentioned coaches. A decent Vee is a quick as one of the race schools Sheanes, however a race spec sheane is a few seconds quicker than a vee. Nothing major but a sheane has a larger engine (1.8 rover engine),has a 5 speed gearbox and uses better tyres (formula ford tyres) .

PS what were your best times in the two courses?

Cheers lightning! Sounds very interesting.

My best times? That could be embarrassing;) Seriously though I cant remember for the life of me. I'll route the certs out later and have a look and post them up.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

3)Do the motorsport course to get your licence (e200) and buy a decent vee for around (e4000-6000) and run the car yourself and just pay the race entries (e225-250)

This isn't always the best way to progress in Vee's. Lot's of people have been put off racing all together because they don't have the knowledge req'd to run their own car and it becomes frustrating. For your first season you should definately consider renting or having somebody set up your car.
    After a year of paying close attention you will be in a much better position to make an informed decision about car set up.

How much does it cost to rent a car for one season? I'd assume they hold onto the car until you need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

ScumLord wrote: »
    How much does it cost to rent a car for one season? I'd assume they hold onto the car until you need it.

Yea it's pretty much arrive and drive.. Renting over a full season wouldn't be worth the money i think, but a lot of people go for it.
    Including the setup & transport costs i'd say you are looking at €750-850 per weekend before you pay entry fee.

Like i said not cheap, but if you owned the car and paid for setup it would be more reasonably priced and you would have your car at the end of it.

There are pros and cons to doing your own setup, pro's being that its a learning experience and you are getting to know the machinery. Cons are that it can become so frustrating when you are going round in circles without the right info or knowledge, actually can slow your development.
    Getting the first second or 2 off your lap times is relatively easy, it's stepping it on from there and getting really fast that requires the knowledge that is gained through experience. These are the 10ths of a second that cost the real money.

My advice on first steps would be (budget permitting);

-rent a car for 2 to 3 events. have it prepared for you and go out and enjoy it.

- Buy your own, reasonably priced Vee. Pay somebody to 'run' you for the entire season. Absorb what they tell you and try and learn from them. What do they do to prevent understeer / oversteer etc etc. This knowledge is going to help you when you're flying solo.
    Don't sit in the truck all day pretending you're a F1 superstar. Watch and learn all the time.

- The following season you can have a go at running you're own car. Maybe consider that at 1 or 2 points through the season you have somebody look the car over to see that you haven't been making any major blunders in setup.

Try and look about renting a car for one of the final days of the season. Probably too late now though.

Kirkistown circuit in Northern Ireland is excellent value for testing if you do manage to get your hands on a car, rental or otherwise.
    Only drawback is that it is only available on weekdays i think.

• Advertisement

Hence why my first option I recommened was to rent a car for the season!
    But then you don't get to give it a hug before you go to bed at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Well if you are short on cash and needs to learn the ropes, iRacing is now pubic. The Solstice will get you started with good habits.

Signup here and get one of these
    Actually, even if you are well funded, its still a good way to go. Racing sims forum is a good place to discuss this: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=231

Also, not directly Vee related, but legends offer close and exciting action. A new club has been started in Ireland and they have a test day coming up, not sure what their criteria for driving are though. I'm sure they'll have arrive 'n' drive packages available and Nikimere who hangs around on boards is well able to give you advise on setup and driving. Checkout http://www.samsport.ie/

Advertisement