Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you hunt?

Options
  • 19-08-2008 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

if so, what hunt are you in? i'm thinkin to join.

Comments

I used to hunt, not riding at the minute so I don't, but plan to again.

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Yes, I hunt.

As regards joining a hunt, it would be best to join a hunt which is close to you. The Irish Field Directory has a list of all the hunts (fox hounds, blood hounds, harriers, stag hounds and beagles) in the country, so you should take a look at that before you decide which one to join. You can also find it on their website.

Every hunt has its own membership fees and requirements, so I would advise you to contact the relevant person in the hunts around you (again, you can find this in the Irish Field Directory) to discuss membership possibilities.

What part of the country are you in? If you mentioned a few hunts in your area that you are considering joining then people may be in a better position to help you. With the lack of info you've provided we're not really able to help you as we may just give you info which is of no use to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Yes i hunt too. Although i can't at the moment where i am. Planning a weekend home and some hunting. Can't wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭jackell

I did hunt with the Bray harriers(drag hunting) for many years and also the Galway blazers(fox hunting) for season and half.I miss the hunting must get out this year for a day,best value for money.for the round the same price of round of showjumping you get good day hunting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Miss Tequila

i'm from Dublin west.

i never been hunt before i might go for one day and see if my horse enjoy it...

might go to Bray harrier with my friend.

• Advertisement

Pretty much all hunts accept visitors for a day's hunting, but before you go you'll need to contact the hunt to arrange your day's hunting with them as most hunts have a policy of 'visitors by arrangement'. The person will also be able to tell you how much the cap is (how much you pay for your day's hunting) and where the meets are, so you can choose a location that's best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I've just started working my mare this week to get her ready for the season too. I really want to get a full season in this year, but that would be an achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

h.a.i web site has a directory of all its mounted packs and contact numbers and days each hunts etc.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 wittsend90

I hunt with the Fermanagh Harriers.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭kick-on

i cant wait for the hunting season again, havent jumped a good hedge in at least 2 months!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Yeah bring on the 1st of Nov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Yea and lets hope our winter will be better than our summer/autumn or else we won't be hunting at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭K-Bowie

Yup I do and before here i did it in England, I remember when I first moved over here we where at a hunt in the Kildare and had Animal Rights Activists following us everywhere funny thing was we wern't even chasing a fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

I used to with the Tara Harriers (Drag), it was great fun. Haven't done in about 10 years or maybe more :eek:
    I didn't think it was so long ago, myself and my friend were laughing at a man one time who said he hadn't hunted since 1979! We thought it was hilarious, probably because he looked like he was dressed from then too. (Sad thing is we could end up like him if we don't get back to it soon! ... never!)

I never knew you had to join, we used to just turn up at various meets and paid the cap. I'd love to go again, but sadly lacking experience now, plus a lot of our practice ditches have been torn up to make a big flat field. Pity really, but that's the way it goes.
    Have a new horse now, but she's in foal, so no hunting this year, not sure about next year, will have to see how the nerves are by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 markkeane

How good a rider do you have to be to hunt?
    I live in north county Dublin and would like to give it a go, but I am not sure if I have the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭kick-on

ah you dont need to that great of a rider, ive often seen people who have never ridden a horse on hunts, just be prepared to fall off!!
    if you can control a horse youll be grand.

no hunting for me this year :( broke a vertebrae!!

kick-on wrote: »
    ah you dont need to that great of a rider, ive often seen people who have never ridden a horse on hunts, just be prepared to fall off!!
    if you can control a horse youll be grand.

no hunting for me this year :( broke a vertebrae!!

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. That is a recipe for a bad accident.

OP you need to be confident in forward seat at a fast canter/gallop and over jumps. Its not necessarily skilful but a sticky seat is essential. And its advisable to have a reasonable level of riding fitness too. I wouldnt be fit enough for it at the moment.

Opening meet this monday :)

Only drawback is that coz it's a bank holiday there'll be too many people out to have a decent hunt (bit like Stephen's Day) :(

Hopefully there won't be hundreds out and that at least this year EVERYBODY will be able to trot, canter and jump!!! (lead reins aside, obviously!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shinyfluff

If you are not sure if you can hunt you can be in the hilltopping group, which is a mounted group that does not jump and usually goes at a slower pace. It is a great way to introduce yourself and your horse to the fun.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

see thread below re Kilkenny people, poll re hunting..vote early vote often:D

• Advertisement

Shinyfluff wrote: »
    If you are not sure if you can hunt you can be in the hilltopping group, which is a mounted group that does not jump and usually goes at a slower pace. It is a great way to introduce yourself and your horse to the fun.

I'm probably going to be in a minority here when I say that this type of group riding can actually do more harm for hunting than good.

Don't get me wrong, I think these type of rides can be great, especially for beginners, nervous riders and pleasure riders, or young horses, etc. and they can be a nice social occasion, but sometimes I feel that people who get on well at these types of activities mistakenly believe that they are capable of hunting and then find themselves in trouble out hunting and can actually put other people in danger.

I know I'm in danger of coming across as being quite arrogant here, and I really don't want that to be the case, but in recent years with more people having access to riding and horses (which is great) hunts have seen more and more people turning up at meets. While it is fantastic to have this type of support for hunting, from experience I have found that a minority of riders (and yes, I am stressing minority - most people who turn up to a hunt are capable riders) who have taken part in 'hilltop' or pleasure rides can cause problems out hunting. I have had 4 horses injured (one of which was severely injured and couldn't be ridden again) by riders who were out of control and decided to use me and my horse as a stopping mechanism. I have also had to help inexperienced riders who've taken bad falls out hunting, in addition to, when on gate shutting duty, having to wait for up to 30 minutes for other people to dismatle a small fence (approx 1'-1'6") because they hadn't learned how to jump yet, and I had to put up the fence after them in order to close a gap between farms.

Ok, these are extreme examples, but what I'm trying to say here is that sometimes riders feel that because they can sufficiently manage a hilltop, pleasure or endurance ride, which, as you say shinyfluff, is frequently at a slower pace without any jumping, some people think that they are competent to ride at a faster pace when in actual fact they are not and as a result, in extreme cases, they may cause accidents and put both themselves and their horses, as well as other horses and riders, in danger.

I['ve heard it has been suggested that on more popular days hunting, such as St Stephen's Day and New Year's Day, that there be a few unavoidable ditches, poles, fences, etc within the first field or two, and that if a rider is unable to negotiate it then they shouldn't hunt that day.

Has anybody else got views on this, or have you had experience of this out hunting? It maybe just that "my" hunt is more prone to this due to the fact that it's located within "the Pale" and easily accessible from Dublin and other major towns.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Any hunt I've ever been on is not for the novice! The biggest thrill to me is not knowing what's around the corner, what jumps, bank, drains etc, without being harsh, if you can't jump well, wait until you can.

PS keep voting!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

convert wrote: »
    I'm probably going to be in a minority here when I say that this type of group riding can actually do more harm for hunting than good.

I['ve heard it has been suggested that on more popular days hunting, such as St Stephen's Day and New Year's Day, that there be a few unavoidable ditches, poles, fences, etc within the first field or two, and that if a rider is unable to negotiate it then they shouldn't hunt that day.

Has anybody else got views on this, or have you had experience of this out hunting? It maybe just that "my" hunt is more prone to this due to the fact that it's located within "the Pale" and easily accessible from Dublin and other major towns.

I fail to see how having a non jumping route can harm hunting? After all those that begin today will be the ones that continue you it tomorrow. Its not just novice riders/horses that do not jump but also older ones that creak or may have lost their bottle.

With insurance and litigation not to mention PR it is stupid to be reckless in any way.

There are different days of varying difficult, to get to the meet the secretary must be contacted.

It is up to the field to welcome and instruct newcomers to the specifics of hunting if this has not already been done. If there is a problem with a member of the field it should be reported to the field master.

Sorry to hear that you were used as a bumper. I don't believe that popular days like St Stephens day should be too hard due to large numbers and state of the ground.

I fail to see how having a non jumping route can harm hunting? After all those that begin today will be the ones that continue you it tomorrow. Its not just novice riders/horses that do not jump but also older ones that creak or may have lost their bottle.

That's fine if you're on a drag hunt, but it's a completely different story when you're really hunting. As byhookorbycrook mentioned, you don't know where you're going or what you're going to meet. It's not like you can tell the fox/hare/stag where to run. I don't think it's fair to the sporting and generous landowners who open up the land to hunts to say 'most of us can jump, or negotiate whatever obstacles come up, but there are a few who can't, so is it ok that they take other routes across your land so they can follow us'.
    With insurance and litigation not to mention PR it is stupid to be reckless in any way..

I completely agree with you on this point, but I still say that if a rider isn't competent to negotiate obstacles out hunting, then maybe hunting isn't for them at that time. Maybe they should wait for another season and gain more experience.
    It is up to the field to welcome and instruct newcomers to the specifics of hunting if this has not already been done. If there is a problem with a member of the field it should be reported to the field master.

I always welcome newcomers out to the hunting field, and it's always great to see new people joining, but you can't expect members to babysit them all day, or teach them how to jump. That should be done at home before they go hunting. It's not like a young horse would be taken anywhere before it had been schoold to a reasonable standard at home in whatever discipline it was competing.

In my mind, hunting is not a good place for someone who isn't a competent rider.

I think that there are two issues here; competence and etiquette.

You should have a certain minimum standard of competence before you head, otherwise you are a danger to yourself (and more importantly) other people. Many people hunt for the craic, and this is perfectly fine, so long as they are able to hunt. I have heard of people asking that there be some trial fences put up at the start of the hunt and if people can't make it over those fences, be they ditches or poles, then they head home.
    I would agree with this.

Secondly, etiquette. From my time hunting, I am sorry to see that this appears to be dying. Hunts exists soley by the grace and goodwill of those who let us ride through their land and when you get complete ****s who refuse to ride the headlands (or who are unable to control their horse so that he stays in by the headlands) then these people are endangering the whole hunt.
    Also, when it comes to jumping, I don't like to see people schooling horses and jumping the ditch back and forward, back and forward as if everyone did this then there would little left of the ditch and the hunt won't be asked back into the land.

Basically, if you are willing to listen to the master and the whips, and are capable of jumping ditches or banks, then you are all set for an amazing day out no matter if the hounds give chase or not.
    However, if you are unable or unwilling to do the above, then please **** off and leave the rest of us alone.

One thing that really bugs me out hunting is when people dont leave sufficient time for the horse and rider in front to get over an obstacle safely before riding to it themselves. And then when a well-mannered person does wait, someone will inevitable go in front of them. argh. Its really dangerous.

I'm all for non-jumping fields though, as long as it is managed well. I reckon its a good way to school a young horse, and not everyone who would like to go hunting likes jumping, even if they may be on a perfectly well-behaved and experienced horse. I can see the appeal in going out for the day for the company and atmosphere and not taking part in the jumping element. But as someone else mentioned, probably easier to do with a drag hunt.

Just to point out: there is nothing (in my opinion) wrong with 'jumpless' hunts. I've done a couple to school young horses and they are good fun. However, I think convert mentioned it, they are not representative of a 'proper' hunt and as such, having done a few of them will not make you suitable for hunting if you are unable (or have no experience) of jumping banks etc.

They are good for teaching etiquette and for seeing what a hunt is like though.

Still can't see how a jumpless hunt works,how do you get from field to field?Wire cutting is not always an option and a wobbly rider and strands of wire to jump are not a good combo.

• Advertisement

The only way I can think it would work is if the hunt has already planned what coverts they'll draw that the jumpless group would go on a completely different route between coverts.

I think pretty much every hunt in the UK has this option but obviously they're all drag/trail hunts now so easier. But I think it was around even before the ban.

Advertisement