Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Signal

Options
  • 19-08-2008 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

May be a silly question but not sure of the answer so though I would ask.

Does the strength of your routers wireless signal have an impact on your broadband speed?

I have a Netgear DG834N router upstairs and PS3 downstairs - I've been playing a game online over the playstaion network on PS3 and it's seriously laggy - not sure whether it's my connection or other players. When you host the game and it's laggy does that mean it's your broadband connection that's causing the problem?

I have a 3mb Broadband connection with BT (not one of the lucky ones that was upgraded to 24mb (not on one of listed LLU2 exchanges) or even 7.6mb (too far from exchange - attenuation is too high). Despite this I would have thought a 3mb connection was sufficient.

My wireless signal is somewhere in between 35 -> 50%

Thanks in advance.

EireEV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭guil

i wouldnt use wireless for gamin i had eircom 2mb and 85% signal on the ps3 and used to have lag, i'm with upc now though on the ultra connection and i am usin it wired

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

EireEV wrote: »
    May be a silly question but not sure of the answer so though I would ask.

Does the strength of your routers wireless signal have an impact on your broadband speed?

Yes it will
    I have a Netgear DG834N router upstairs and PS3 downstairs - I've been playing a game online over the playstaion network on PS3 and it's seriously laggy - not sure whether it's my connection or other players. When you host the game and it's laggy does that mean it's your broadband connection that's causing the problem?

I have a 3mb Broadband connection with BT (not one of the lucky ones that was upgraded to 24mb (not on one of listed LLU2 exchanges) or even 7.6mb (too far from exchange - attenuation is too high). Despite this I would have thought a 3mb connection was sufficient.

My wireless signal is somewhere in between 35 -> 50%

Thanks in advance.

EireEV

Easiest way to rule out wireless...test using ethernet see if problem continues

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

guil07 wrote: »
    i wouldnt use wireless for gamin i had eircom 2mb and 85% signal on the ps3 and used to have lag, i'm with upc now though on the ultra connection and i am usin it wired

++

Gameing over wireless is a no go, well at least with PC's it is. It would appear that it does not affect consoles to the same extent ( I'm thinking of the Wii in particular ) but I would still always go with a wired connection if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

The signal will affect how fast the data goes from your router to your computer. The lower the signal, the higher your latency will be to your router. You would certainly notice an impact on your overall speed.

Advertisement