Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

56k modem problem

Options
  • 19-08-2008 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

Think its broken, but it has a dial tone. Cant get through though. Is the prob with the modem or something else?
    The line itself is fine as the fax works off it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

what do you mean it has a dial tone? is there a phone plugged into the modem too?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Probably the modem speaker's turned on?

BoB_Bot's right, New Approach - there are so many possible causes (as I've been discovering myself!) that more detail's needed to narrow down the possibilities. Like, when you get a dial tone, what happens next? Has your setup connected ok before? Etc.

I wouldn't think that faxes getting through necessarily means your line's good enough for the internet. Fax has been around since long before dialup connections as we know them now, and communications were much slower and less sensitive when it was introduced.
    Voice phone calls can work too when an internet connection can't. The line can sound fine, but have inaudible faults that block an internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Thanks for the replys guys, have found out that the modem blew because of the lightening the other day. Indeed, as one of you said, what I thought was the dial tone must have been the speaker on the computer.

Have to wait a while for a new modem now, apparently the one they had wouldn't work as it isnt compatible with DOS (:rolleyes:)

Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated :)

Advertisement