Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptops

Options
  • 19-08-2008 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

just wondering what the best laptop deals are going around..... is dell the best?? also are the deals in ucd any good and when can we find out about them?

any specific laptops for a course like med?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

For the Dell deal go to:

www.dell.ie/ucd

Not advocating that you buy one but just to let you see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

It mentions sth on the UCD site about getting your (non UCD) laptop checked over by IT services. Is this absolutely compulsory, I mean will your laptop pick up wifi and work on the network without it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It mentions sth on the UCD site about getting your (non UCD) laptop checked over by IT services. Is this absolutely compulsory, I mean will your laptop pick up wifi and work on the network without it?
    I never got mine checked out, it works just fine. You just have to enter some proxy settings in your internet browser I believe (should be on the IT services page).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I cannot stress enough to shop around before buying a laptop. In my experience the UCD "deal" is not good value.

You do not have to buy a laptop through UCD in order for it to conect to the network.
    Commerce students should be wary about trying to be strong armed by ILTG. You do not need specs anywhere near the recommended specs, and though they may be complete dickheads about using mac's I have seen people get by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I think they have to see it before you can go on the wired network (I presume they implement some sort of MAC filtering), but otehrwise, you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

You can use the wifi without registering you just need the settings which are available on www.ucd.ie/itucd.

If you want to use the wired network you need to register with IT SErvices and that takes 24hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

I just read about needing to have the correct anti virus/security settings on your laptop,

"Step 2: All laptops must have the correct anti-virus and security software installed before connection to the University's Network"

Is this actually an issue? Or do the college provide you with the correct anti virus protection??

They have Sophos which they insist you install if you're on the wired network.

TBH I find AVG free better so I just use that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

They have Sophos which they insist you install if you're on the wired network.

TBH I find AVG free better so I just use that instead.

Alrighty, thanks for that. :)

Currently have AVG free too. So I'm sure that will do. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

Got a 'Quinn School laptop programme' pamphlet today, as I'll be starting B&L in September. :)

The 3 laptop offers listed dont look the best (no graphics card, no widescreen etc), and so I was planning on ordering a custom laptop from Dell.

However if I order the one I want today or tomorrow it won't arrive until the 3rd or 4th. The 'Registration Clinic' I have to attend is on the 2nd though, so is this anything to worry about??

Is it also true that Vista won't be accepted? According to them, "Windows XP professional Service Pack 2 is the required operating system'. Damn XP..:(

• Advertisement

Yep has to be XP2.

I know a lot of people this year did a dual install of both OSs - not exactly sure how that worked but people did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

Cos on the Dell site, I don't think they don't even have XP2 anymore, only XP Prof Service Pack 3 :(

I take it not having a laptop in time for The Registration Clinic on the 2nd is not an option?

Well I presume there has to be a later date for people who get into the course on later rounds and won't have a laptop in time.

As for SP2 vs SP3 I'm actually not sure of the difference between them, someone with more tech knowledge is needed for that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Do all courses require a laptop? I'm going doing Acturial and Financial Studies.

Do all courses require a laptop? I'm going doing Acturial and Financial Studies.
    Just courses that are part of the Quinn school. AFS isn't part of it so you don't need one.

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    Just courses that are part of the Quinn school. AFS isn't part of it so you don't need one.
    Thanks. That's cleared up a lot. I'll probably get one anyways, just want to wait until the new Macbooks come out.:cool:

alan4cult wrote: »
    Thanks. That's cleared up a lot. I'll probably get one anyways, just want to wait until the new Macbooks come out.:cool:
    You may want to think about the Mac idea - You'll eventually be using Stat programs like STATA SAS and, unfortunatley, Minitab. I don't know if they run on Macs. Just look into it, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

dip wrote: »
    Got a 'Quinn School laptop programme' pamphlet today, as I'll be starting B&L in September. :)

The 3 laptop offers listed dont look the best (no graphics card, no widescreen etc), and so I was planning on ordering a custom laptop from Dell.

However if I order the one I want today or tomorrow it won't arrive until the 3rd or 4th. The 'Registration Clinic' I have to attend is on the 2nd though, so is this anything to worry about??

Is it also true that Vista won't be accepted? According to them, "Windows XP professional Service Pack 2 is the required operating system'. Damn XP..:(
    Dip, I missed my clinic, it wasnt a big deal. Instead of a half day session we did a 5 min thing. But my guy was really sound and Ive a better than basic knowledge of computers.

I bought a laptop through Quinn.
    Advantage: On site support for 3 years. None of the hassle of being different.
    Disadvantage: I could have gotten the same or better for a third of the cost.

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    You may want to think about the Mac idea - You'll eventually be using Stat programs like STATA SAS and, unfortunatley, Minitab. I don't know if they run on Macs. Just look into it, mate.
    Thanks. Was thinking about future problems using a mac. Might be easier to use Microsoft, I suppose.

alan4cult wrote: »
    Thanks. Was thinking about future problems using a mac. Might be easier to use Microsoft, I suppose.
    Oh and I can't believe I forgot R. That does work on Macs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Just after orderin the 3rd laptop on the quinn letter. seemed good enough value, priced a similar laptop on the dell website also. dont need a graphics card really ive a Xbox for that. Bring on B+L!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stin

The new macs can run windows xp/vista, best of both worlds right there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pinkdiamond

hey! i duno much about laptops but i want ta get one for college too and so looked up different offers..dell have an offer on the dell studio 15 for €689..seems reli good.. massive memory and fairly light..and dell computers are always quiet reliable- according to my dad :) xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 college2008

i'm pretty sure that €689 doesnt include VAT

it turns out to be about €839

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

hey! i duno much about laptops but i want ta get one for college too and so looked up different offers..dell have an offer on the dell studio 15 for €689..seems reli good.. massive memory and fairly light..and dell computers are always quiet reliable- according to my dad :) xxx
    Price is excluding VAT.
    It wouldn't be too bad if it had another GB of RAM and windows home premium instead of Basic.
    Also you're going to have to pay about another €70 for Microsoft Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NU8

33% God wrote: »
    Price is excluding VAT.
    It wouldn't be too bad if it had another GB of RAM and windows home premium instead of Basic.

According to the UCD website you need Microsoft Office enterprise which is €111.

http://www.software4students.ie/Microsoft_Office_Enterprise_2007-details.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pinkdiamond

33% God wrote: »
    Price is excluding VAT.

it was on one of those leaflet yokeens they send to ya in the post..sez it includes delivery and VAT xXx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

it was on one of those leaflet yokeens they send to ya in the post..sez it includes delivery and VAT xXx
    :confused: Says on the link given here that it excludes VAT
    According to the UCD website you need Microsoft Office enterprise which is €111.

http://www.software4students.ie/Micr...7-details.aspx
    Really? I thought you would have been fine with Microsoft office home/student.
    All it's missing is Groove (may have some limited use), Access (maybe if you were doing CS), Communicator (I can't see the advantages of this over MSN), InfoPath (lolwut), and Publisher (which I've never liked, but is probably the most useful thing here)

Maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

vista works fine in quinn - only thing is you will not be able to use the printing facilities

• Advertisement

That requirement would just be for quinn. Everyone else there's no set officer you need.

If you need anything fancy the NAL in UCD would have it.

Advertisement