Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

dip wrote: »
    The 3 laptop offers listed dont look the best (no graphics card, no widescreen etc), and so I was planning on ordering a custom laptop from Dell.

The 3rd one is 14.1" widescreen ;)

I think I'll be getting that one.. Even though my current laptop is possibly just as good.. Still, I like the idea of the onsite support and stuff.. Maybe I'm being conned into spending a grand, but ... See you in B & L :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ucd08

Got a 'Quinn School laptop programme' pamphlet today, as I'll be starting B&L in September. :)

The 3 laptop offers listed dont look the best (no graphics card, no widescreen etc), and so I was planning on ordering a custom laptop from Dell.

However if I order the one I want today or tomorrow it won't arrive until the 3rd or 4th. The 'Registration Clinic' I have to attend is on the 2nd though, so is this anything to worry about??

Is it also true that Vista won't be accepted? According to them, "Windows XP professional Service Pack 2 is the required operating system'. Damn XP..:(

hey im doing b&l next month aswel and got the same pamphlet today, i think i'll just order a custom built one off the dell website aswel but then im wondering will it be here before the 2nd??? And that windows xp pr service pack is an extra €200/300.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

Not to mention €110 for the MS Office 07 Enterprise :o

See you in Sept :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

Went onto the site to look at the Quinn laptops - they all come with Vista..what happened to XP Professional?
    http://premierconfigure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=RC1147468&oc=rcRC1147468-1599575

Now I'm really confused.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

This talk of Vista not being supported at UCD... is that up-to-date information? I've just looked at the IT pages, but all the info there, including the laptop offer, seems to refer to last year.

As for XP Service Pack level, they just tell you to install Microsoft's automatic updates, which means they can't argue with SP3. My plan is to use wireless only, not join the wired network, so I can stick with Linux on the eee PC that should be here soon.

If I need to use specific UCD software, well, last year I had little problem finding a UCD desktop PC if I was prepared to walk to one of the outlying computer rooms: Health Sciences (1st floor), Engineering (3rd floor) or the Newstead building (upstairs or downstairs). Even when a class is using one of those rooms: if you don't get in anyone's way, or make noise, you should be OK.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 InDemand

Looking around at previous threads there seems to be an issue with the use of macs. I have a place in BCL and will be bringing my macbook air with me.

But I'll be picking up business and economics electives through horizons. If I'm running Parallels with windows XP are there gonna be any major problems?

Actually, I couldn't give a ****e. Any problems would be minor compared to the joke that is Vista.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've had no problem with my Macs (originally a G4 iBook, now a Macbook Pro) while studying CS, I can't see why there'd be an issue using them with anything else outside of Quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

alan4cult wrote: »
    Thanks. Was thinking about future problems using a mac. Might be easier to use Microsoft, I suppose.

Don't worry, all the lab computers have SPSS and Minitab and whatever other software you might need.

If you want something on you laptop, get R and learn it, it'll come in handy, although you'll just be taught minitab in 1st year, which is not out on macs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

I suppose I'll still get my mac. I'll use Bootcamp if I have too. Never used Parallels tbh. Anyways I'm not in the Quinn School so no worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Someone needs to shamelessly copy the Macbook air soon - it's almost appealing enough to move away from evil Microsoft. But it only has one USB port - not enough :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Hmmm....all the laptops that I've been looking at in shops etc. all use Windows Vista. Does this definitely not work in UCD? And how can I get the programme that does work?

Hmmm....all the laptops that I've been looking at in shops etc. all use Windows Vista. Does this definitely not work in UCD? And how can I get the programme that does work?
    It will work - just use the wireless connection. What is your course? The UCD dell laptop uses Vista - it's just Quinn school that requires XP pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I've just bought Microsoft Office 2007 Standard for €76.50 at software4students.ie. It's a enormous discount compared to the prices on the Dell website when I ordered my Precision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Chakar wrote: »
    I've just bought Microsoft Office 2007 Standard for €76.50 at software4students.ie. It's a enormous discount compared to the prices on the Dell website when I ordered my Precision.
    It's €70 on dell now for the home/student edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Went onto the site to look at the Quinn laptops - they all come with Vista..what happened to XP Professional?
    http://premierconfigure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=RC1147468&oc=rcRC1147468-1599575

Now I'm really confused.:pac:

read the pop up on the site, the system comes with a vista license which is backward compatible to xp. The ghost image installed on the laptops come with XP on them and is configured for the quinn network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    Someone needs to shamelessly copy the Macbook air soon - it's almost appealing enough to move away from evil Microsoft. But it only has one USB port - not enough :(

Tada

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/12/dell-e-and-e-slim-revealed-taking-on-eee-and-air-in-one-fell-sw/

Probably be around a 3rd the price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Now that looks NICE! If it runs a fully supported Linux distro anyway. Especially at that price point. I really don't see the point in paying big bucks for the MacBook Air, I'd much rather a more fully-featured MacBook for less money, but when upgrade time comes then an iMac and one of these babies could be a very attractive option.

Rumour has it Apple has something interesting and laptoppy coming in September though, and possibly lower prices, although I doubt it'll beat $299.

Looks nice especially at that price - the processor is Silverthorne? Don't know if that's good or bad. I'm hoping the Macbook air will come down in price a bit around December. I can't justify spending 2,500 no matter how hard I try :rolleyes: Especially considering I only bought a new laptop last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

So, am I right in saying it comes down to a choice: join the UCD wired network, or not? (Everyone except business students, who have no choice, it seems.) It looks like this to me:

1) joining the wired network:
    - must run XP SP2 or later (unless they start supporting Vista in 2008/9)
    - buy laptop pre-configured, or take it to IT Services to patch up and register.
    - you will be able to connect to the wired network (wall sockets), not just wireless = probably faster
    - IT Services adds the Novell client that gives you direct access to the network drives, and allows you to install & run applications licensed by UCD
    - disadvantages: XP only, Novell client tends to take over the machine a bit
    - in short, you can turn your laptop in to a portable version of the UCD desktops.

2) Not joining the UCD wired network:
    - your choice of operating system and applications (as long as they are do what's required). Vista, OS X, Linux, OpenOffice etc.
    - no access to UCD-licensed applications e.g. no Maple or AutoCAD unless you buy it yourself (kilobucks);
    - access UCD services via the wireless network e.g. H: (home) drive via the UCD Connect web interface; email via the web server, POP or IMAP.
    - you won't see any functional differences when it comes to UCD's web-based services, such as SIS or Blackboard, or general Internet access (via their Proxy server).

Me? I didn't carry a laptop at all last year, and used the UCD desktops when necessary, but this year I'll be going down the 2nd route: my Eee PC 1000 (black) is arriving in the next couple of days, with Linux. Not quite as thin as a MacBook Air, but more than twice the battery life, solid state drive 2/3 as big (40GB vs 64GB) for 1/5 the price, and zero OS or application costs. ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

bnt wrote: »
    So, am I right in saying it comes down to a choice: join the UCD wired network, or not? (Everyone except business students, who have no choice, it seems.) It looks like this to me:

1) joining the wired network:
    - must run XP SP2 or later (unless they start supporting Vista in 2008/9)
    - buy laptop pre-configured, or take it to IT Services to patch up and register.
    - you will be able to connect to the wired network (wall sockets), not just wireless = probably faster
    - IT Services adds the Novell client that gives you direct access to the network drives, and allows you to install & run applications licensed by UCD
    - disadvantages: XP only, Novell client tends to take over the machine a bit
    - in short, you can turn your laptop in to a portable version of the UCD desktops.
    Not quite. This applies to students taking a course in Quinn school and receiving support from ILTG. All other students may connect a laptop running a range of operating systems to the wired network, provided they register the laptop with IT Services and install appropriate antivirus software. However, depending on the operating system, not all services will be available. See here for more.

As far as I know, only Quinn students may use the wired network sockets in the Quinn School as they are connected to a different network. Wireless access to the WaveLAN network is still available there to all students.

Since you're planning on using Linux, it's likely that IT Services won't be able to do much for you other than provide browser functionality, so you may as well avoid the registration hassle and just stick with wireless. If you need any UCD programs, the desktops are there (an eeePC probably isn't the best system to be running virtualised SPSS or something on anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 InDemand

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    Looks nice especially at that price - the processor is Silverthorne? Don't know if that's good or bad. I'm hoping the Macbook air will come down in price a bit around December. I can't justify spending 2,500 no matter how hard I try :rolleyes: Especially considering I only bought a new laptop last year...

Ebay is your friend. I got mine for just under 1100.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Announcement on UCd Connect
    UCD wrote:
    Windows Vista at UCD

Microsoft introduced the Windows Vista Operating System last year. A number of significant changes have been incorporated into this system, which may affect the performance of your PC and IT support from the Helpdesk.

Please note that the Windows Vista Operating System is not fully compatible with all University systems at this time.

If you are considering purchasing Windows Vista for use on the University network, please take time to consider our recommendations before making your purchase

http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/itsupport/vistaoffice2007.html

http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/itsupport/

Hope that may help anyone...not sure how long its been there though! I got a laptop last year, just had to change proxy for internet access, didnt need anything fancy for it!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I've used Linux on a Dell laptop in the past and have no trouble either on the wired or wireless networks.

As for macs, for the kind of stuff you'd be doing on an undergrad course I wouldn't worry about running any Windows software in Parallels. I use Visual Studio on parallels on a macbook pro and the performance is pretty much as good as my desktop.

Red Alert wrote: »
    As for macs, for the kind of stuff you'd be doing on an undergrad course I wouldn't worry about running any Windows software in Parallels. I use Visual Studio on parallels on a macbook pro and the performance is pretty much as good as my desktop.
    Be warned that you cannot print wirelessly from a Mac in UCD. I use VMWare Fusion for this, Parallels or Boot Camp would work either. I have no idea if you can print from a Mac on the wired network. Although there was talk of UCD changing its print system this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

UCD are offering macs through there student laptop deal this year so I'm hoping they've sorted that issue out.

Otherwise that'd be really bad. I'd be less than impressed with that sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Im starting my Arts degree soon and I was just wondering do you need a laptop? If not would it still be advisable to get one?

No you don't need a laptop for Arts. Are laptops useful in general? Yes. Will your head go bang if you don't have one? No.

So you just write out your work on paper? I thought most uni work was done on computers?:confused: Sorry on advance if I sound stupid!:cool:

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    So you just write out your work on paper? I thought most uni work was done on computers?:confused: Sorry on advance if I sound stupid!:cool:
    In lectures people write down notes on paper just fine. Any kind of essay subject like History and English require that you type up any assignments, as far as I know.

Different subjects require different techniques. It's hard to draw graphs and diagrams, as has been said, with laptops so some prefer to use time honoured paper & pen. Spend a few weeks in there - if you feel that a laptop would be very helpful to you then get one. There are computer labs in UCD, just to note, that you can use to write essays and such.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for that. I want to do history english and economics so I might just get a laptop!

Advertisement