Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptops

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭jj99

when i log on to buy a laptop, it says it comes with:

Genuine Windows Vista ™ Business SP1 32Bit - English - with Media

It does not mention: MS Windows® XP Professional with Vista Business Licence

Is this different or is it included in it anyway??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

I was wondering the same, after contacting UCD they said

"Although Vista is listed as the operating system on the Dell website all Quinn Books will have XP installed on them and the fact that Vista appears on the website is simply a limitation of the website. Similarly when you enter the website a pop-up box should appear explaining this and other points of note."

:D

cool, thanks Dip

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

dip wrote: »
    "Although Vista is listed as the operating system on the Dell website all Quinn Books will have XP installed on them and the fact that Vista appears on the website is simply a limitation of the website. Similarly when you enter the website a pop-up box should appear explaining this and other points of note."

:D

Its not on the Smurfit laptop web popup, but will add it on Monday. Both laptop programs come with a custom XP images built for the college network but will show with Vista as the main license because this is the standard OEM license used by Dell.

sorry for sounding like an idiot now.
    I just got my laptop and it seems to be just vista. is this correct????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

jj99 wrote: »
    If you're not in Quinn School then it shouldn't be a problem.

Im in Smurfit, i think its business vista?????

Im in Smurfit, i think its business vista?????
    Has it been physically delivered to you or did it just say Vista on the Dell Smurfit page? If it is the latter then the answer is already here, it's just a fault on the Dell page.

no its been physically delivered and its the business vista version.

no its been physically delivered and its the business vista version.
    Hmmm - that's odd...
    2008 Dell Offer Notebooks will ship with Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 pre-installed. For compatibility with the various services available to you in UCD and general software compatibility, these machines will not ship with Windows Vista although all four models come with a Windows Vista Business license included in the price.

Maybe your best bet would be to ring the Smurfit school and explain to them what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Lol not an idiot, there have been issues with the online tool, please contact your account manager.

Alternatively PM me and ill be able to help you out, i dont want to give my details out as this is a personal account but as im going to UCD ill help out were i can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

I used a Vista laptop on the wired network both in and outside of the Quinn school last year and had no problems. I also wasnt running any anti virus software and never had a word said to me. All I had to do was drop my laptop into IT in daedulus for 10min then wait 48 hours for the wired access to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Bargain Alert: this Sunday, Aldi will be selling the Medion Akoya E1210 netbook (a.k.a. MSI Wind) for €399. 10" screen, 80GB HDD, XP Home SP3 (so UCD will be OK with it). Weight: 1.2kg incl battery. More details and specs here.

Sure, there are cheaper laptops, but they're all 15" monsters that weigh twice as much...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

That's the price Komplett have always been selling it at. None in stock at the moment though,

http://snipurl.com/3nqtx

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've heard that it's also going under the Advent brand from some other sellers (PC World?) for maybe €20 less. The Laptops forum here is buzzing with discussion of these things. (I won't be going there myself - got an eee PC 1000 a couple of weeks ago, very happy with it.)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭smndly

Do you need to have Microsoft office or can you use Apple's iWork instead? Im not going to be in Quinn school if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

They normally request that any files submitted online are in .doc, .docx or .pdf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Saw this sexy Compaq laptop for around €600 in Curry's, with like 300GB or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 markygoods

acer laptop in currys too for 399

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

You won't need a laptop, get a netbook instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Any chance of scoring a free copy of Office...?

Advertisement