Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Just read that Dunnes have pulled the plug on its new store in Newtownmountkennedy :mad:

Could have been really successful seeing as Tesco in Greystones is closing for redevelopment!

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/dunnes-fails-to-get-green-light-for-new-euro200m-hub-1458513.html

Jaysus yeah, heard that today. I always thought Newtown looked awful, but this was looking good for the village. All gone now I'd say, just a big abandoned space for years I'd say. Wonder what effects it'll have on the village now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Apparently they're planning on opening it next year instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 and76

Well thats what the developer has said, Dunnes are yet to confirm this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Perfect place for an Aldi, with Lidl in Greystones and Wicklow Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

I think its pretty bad of dunnes not to open especially when they had taken on staff i heard that some people are being put in other branches but they arent looking after everybody,they had also planned on a store in Saggart and that is on hold too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ultravires

Any further news or update on when Dunnes plan to open the Newtown store yet. Considering they bought the unit, they must be losing money! Come on Dunnes it's a potential gold mine considering the catchment area!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Heard Dunnes were pulling out for good, but Tescos in Greystones is doing a complete revamp I hear with underground car park and big clothes section. So they probably pleased with the news. Dunnes would have been great because the one in Bray is a terrible shop (both grocery & drapery) and they have done nothing with it since it opened.

:):):):):):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ultravires

Heard that Dunnes are now planning to open their Newtownmountkennedy branch on the 6th of January. Let's hope they stick to it this time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Hadn't heard that, thanks for the update.

Happy days if they do open up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Its just rumour that dunnes are opening in newtown on the 6th of january what i have heard that freezers have been seen going in and that aldi are opening there.My daughter was hired to work in the newtown store and is working in cornelscourt now has not heard anything about dunnes opening in newtown :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

Dunnes will be opening as far as I am aware, I live in the village and all the locals are full sure it's going to be open.

I wouldn't do my grocery shopping in Aldi, not a fan of them foreign shops at all.

The food in aldi is not to bad better than lidl in my opinion i would prefer dunnes to open but if it was aldi i would be fine with it.The village is in need of employment

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

Dunnes Stores Newtownmountkennedy opening on October 22nd

http://wicklownews.ie/2009/09/29/dunnes-stores-to-open-october-22/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I heard that too... straight from the owner of the site... Bank holiday weekend Dunnes will be opening. Shut me straight up! I thought they'd never open!!!

Well Dunnes stores is finally open just experienced the madness of it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Oh dear Jesus, yes. I was in there myself today. I only survived it for 15 minutes. No way. Beautiful looking store, with a great range of stuff (equal to or greater than Superquinn Charlesland and Tesco Kilcoole). But the queues... The f*cking queues today... Mental. I didn't even bother trying to buy anything in the end. One woman told me she had been queueing for two hours on her first trip down, she was in the middle of her second trip when I was talking to her. Good God. Hopefully it'll take off and be a boon for the whole area!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Ah Dunnes - a byword for shoddy industrial relations, poor pay and don't forget their slogan "the difference is we don't give a damn." We have one in DG too and all it has done is suck what little life was left out of the town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

DazMarz wrote: »
    Oh dear Jesus, yes. I was in there myself today. I only survived it for 15 minutes. No way. Beautiful looking store, with a great range of stuff (equal to or greater than Superquinn Charlesland and Tesco Kilcoole). But the queues... The f*cking queues today... Mental. I didn't even bother trying to buy anything in the end. One woman told me she had been queueing for two hours on her first trip down, she was in the middle of her second trip when I was talking to her. Good God. Hopefully it'll take off and be a boon for the whole area!

I was there to today,I just dumped my trolley and left, place is way too small i.m.o. seen people queuing up with boxes of t.bags.There was no way I was getting in a Que for 2 hrs,all the frozen food must have been well thawed by the time people got home.Buggies and trollies everywhere no way could you even get down an isle,people were queuing either side of the isles anyway so it was impossible to see or even get any shopping.Will go back in a few weeks,hopefully it will have eased off by then.And the traffic !!! Never seen such jams in such a small town.:mad:

I was in there yesterday afternoon and it was fine, no queues at the check out I was at and not too many people running around the place.

Madness was caused by the special offers in place and the fact that is only opened but that should all settle down.

Have heard they are changing their opening times due to how popular the shop is, now opening until 9pm and on a Sunday. Hopefully that will remain the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Paid a visit a couple of days ago. Never again, the queues weren't that bad but there just wasn't enough staff and the car park was a death trap, trolleys dumped all over the place and several cars went up the down ramp creating havoc. Think I'll stick to Cornelscourt unless they change the opening hours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Oh dear, was hoping to do my shopping down there tonight, whats the opening hours ?????

Merrilady wrote: »
    Oh dear, was hoping to do my shopping down there tonight, whats the opening hours ?????

The Dunnes website says it is open 10 am - 7pm Mon - Thurs and Sat. Friday is open til 8pm and it is closed on Sunday.

I had heard that it is open until 9pm each night now and open on a Sunday.

Did some shopping yesterday evening, went down at 6:30 and was not back until after the original closing times so obviosly the extended hours are in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Bettyboop wrote: »
    I was there to today,I just dumped my trolley and left, place is way too small i.m.o. seen people queuing up with boxes of t.bags.There was no way I was getting in a Que for 2 hrs,all the frozen food must have been well thawed by the time people got home.Buggies and trollies everywhere no way could you even get down an isle,people were queuing either side of the isles anyway so it was impossible to see or even get any shopping.Will go back in a few weeks,hopefully it will have eased off by then.And the traffic !!! Never seen such jams in such a small town.:mad:

You don't remember Newtown before the bypass do you?

Seen the first crash at the entrance to car park.Good bit of damage to both cars.An absolute nightmare for trucks going in and out with supplies for Dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

You don't remember Newtown before the bypass do you?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Bettyboop wrote: »
    :confused:

Traffic in Newtown was a shocker before they bypassed it

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭gigglybits

Weeeell...now that all da Dunnes madness is over, it seems that they ain't doing too well at all. Apart from Saturdays, when it's chocablock and to be avoided, the place seems...hmm...'this town (aww aww) is coming like a ghost town'. Quite like Newbog after the bypass...Duffy's had a float on the Patrick's Day parade with this song blaring out at the time :)

I expect many more accidents between cars exiting from the carpark, you cannot see traffic coming from the right without putting yourself in line to be hit! Whoever designed, and I use that word lightly, those protruding footpaths should be sacked.

All I can say is poor ole Claudio...he is quite the charmer though ;)

Last thoughts: Dunnes - wonderful for Newbog and me; financially terrible for Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Give it a chance, hopefully it will find it's feet in time, in the meantime enjoy the easy shopping. Agree about the exit, something will have to be done sooner or later, it's very poor planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I went on Saturday it was pretty quiet. No great shakes on prices but the free range chicken was only 6 euro compared with Stoopidquinns 12 euro per chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kilmac Kid

Its a great shop to go to as it just has what you require with a few treats to tempt you. You just get what you need and go home. Shopping bill well down since started shopping there.
    Hairdressers opening shortly I hear. I liked the book shop and theres even a solicitors office and a mortgage broker there.
    Less stress than Bray or cornelscourt

Advertisement