Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting Off - Best Bike To Buy??

• 19-08-2008 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm breaking into the world of biking and wondering in your opinions what is the best bike for a new commer to get that is nice looking and has a reasonable amount of power ( even when restricted )

I'm currently on my provisional and starting lessons soon I'm also applying for my test soon.

I'm 30 and driving a car on full licence for last 13yrs so hope that insurance will be ok on a bike.
    I wont be using the bike full time prob at weekends and when sunny ( never so say you all:o )

I like the bandit 600 but doubt I'll get insured on it for first bike
    Maybe a ZXR400 or something similar...What you think??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Was in the same boat last year as you. Get the lessons in and get your assessment done. You can either get them for AON or Quinn but go with the AON one. Reason for this is that they recognise factory restriction on bikes and also give you a discount for having car insurance in your own name.

Bottom line is, last year got fully comp for €730 and this year got it down to €520 on a factory restricted 650 Bandit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 boo-urns

Both the Bandit and the ZXR400 need to be restricted if you're on a provisional.

I drove a Honda Bros 400cc when I was on my provisional and I found it was perfect for a learner. It doesn't need restricting, it was cheap, easy to maintain and ultra reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Honda Bros bikes are difficult to fing these days mind you...

I'd recommend a Factory-Restricted Suzuki Bandit 600 (there's a couple for sale on www.biker.ie at the moment) or something smaller like a Honda Hornet 250cc.

I started on a Bandit 600 myself and thought it was a great starter bike! Wasn't Factory-Restricted though so the insurance the first year was a little expensive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

you'll find the bandit considerably cheaper to insure then then the zxr400... all the sports 400's are dear afaik

bandits probably cheaper to buy, and available in factory restricted guise (for cheaper insurance with Aon) too

can try putting your details into the 'quinn direct online quotation engine' (think Aon have one aswell) to find out what stuff you can and cant insure, and what sort of money you're talking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rorysllvn

get the suzuki bandit very good bike to start out on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm sure over 6 months later he's bought a bike by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

You can insure the bandit 600 unrestricted on a provisional license for FAR FAR less then the zxr400 RESTRICTED.

Im 21, No NCB, Provisional license and my insurance for my Honda Hornet was 624 euro with quinn direct, I got a quote of 480 for a bandit 600 unrestricted.

add 9 years and a little less hair and im sure your insurance will be a hell of allot cheaper.

Jokn bout the hair btw ;)

Advertisement