Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring, taxing and running a 4x4 commercial

• 19-08-2008 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I need a jeep for hunting, shooting etc. Thing is I really can not justify the cost of running one all year round (driving 50 miles everyday so cant justify the juice a jeep would go through)

So I was thinking of getting one as a second vehicle, to be used at the weekends and/or rarely during the week.

So what are the costs involved in having a 4x4 commercial as a second vehicle?

Clearly I will need a DOE, tax and insurance as it will be driven on the road.

So how much is the tax on a commercial vehicle?

What is the story with insurance, can I get a limited milage policy, it will only ever see approx: 100 miles a week? Does anyone here have one insured as a second vehicle, is it simply a case of having to get a full policy on it? :(

thanks folks
    Veg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

Tax is €277, DOE is about €120, so €400 on that. I have mine insured on a private policy but am hoping to get a car in the next few weeks so I might keep the jeep as a 2nd vehicle. I'd also love to know details of the possibility of a limited milage insurance policy.

Mine is a 97' Pajero 2.8 SWB commercial manual, I renewed my insurance yesterday and it was €1500, up from €1100 last year!! I'm 22, full licience, 1 years NCB. I have it insured on a private policy with FBD, to my knowledge only FBD and Quinn will insure a commercial privately. But had mine been the equivelent passanger model insure.ie would have given me fully comp for €790!!!

Your other option with the insurance is to drive the jeep under your main policy if you have the 3rd party drive any car extension - I'm pretty sure that if you have this the car doesnt have to be insured, as you are insured 3rd party to drive it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

farva wrote: »
    Your other option with the insurance is to drive the jeep under your main policy if you have the 3rd party drive any car extension - I'm pretty sure that if you have this the car doesnt have to be insured, as you are insured 3rd party to drive it.

Nope... Your policy states that you are insured to drive any other car, excluding vans, car derived vans, and jeeps! It also says that the vehicle must be otherwise insured! ie by somebody else!

Veg,

I did the same myself for shooting, I bought a 1992 Landrover defender on ebay in the uk.
    Between the price of the jeep, transporting it over to Ireland and re-registering it (commercial) it cost me €2800. It's no looker, is in no way fast, but I'll be thankfull for it come the wintery months when I'm on the top of a mountain trying to get a beast down!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

E. Fudd wrote: »
    Veg,

I did the same myself for shooting, I bought a 1992 Landrover defender on ebay in the uk.
    Between the price of the jeep, transporting it over to Ireland and re-registering it (commercial) it cost me €2800. It's no looker, is in no way fast, but I'll be thankfull for it come the wintery months when I'm on the top of a mountain trying to get a beast down!!

I'm looking to do something very similar E.Fudd, do you have yours insured on a seperate policy or is there anyway that this can be done on a budget?

I'm 25 only driving 3 years and 2 of those are with a full license so I fear the kind of quotes I'd get for a jeep. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How about a quad? They can be used off road pretty handy, and if you have a towbar you could probably trailer it to the area you shoot in?
    This would negate the need for tax and insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Vegeta wrote: »
    I'm looking to do something very similar E.Fudd, do you have yours insured on a seperate policy or is there anyway that this can be done on a budget?

I'm 25 only driving 3 years and 2 of those are with a full license so I fear the kind of quotes I'd get for a jeep. :o

Myself and the missus had a car between us, and i had it insured with her as named driver.
    She insured the car in her name and put me as named driver and I insured the Jeep commercially through quinn direct for €900. (5 years no claims bonus, aged 24). But to be honest, I cant see you're policy being much more expensive then that!
    To get a commercial policy doesn't mean you have to be a tradesperson.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    How about a quad? They can be used off road pretty handy, and if you have a towbar you could probably trailer it to the area you shoot in?
    This would negate the need for tax and insurance.

Its a good solution alright but then I'd need something capable of towing the quad, which the current car cant but it is definitely an option though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Also consider the Suzuki Jimny. With a 1.3 petrol engine it is reasonably cheap to tax and insure as a car ...and with the rear seats folded down it will still carry the dogs.

Also it is a very capable and maneuverable vehicle off road.

The jimny is perfect for my needs (fits 1 person, the gear, decent ride height, capable off road) good option alright but I don't know if I could use it as my sole vehicle and daily driver.

Don't think its safe or economic enough for a 60 mile a day commute.

Might get one that's a little bashed up but in sound mechanical shape n try and convert it to a commercial vehicle, take out back seats, black out the windows etc (if that can be done) and use that as a second vehicle

Why convert it?

The tax for a 1.3 petrol is what? 20-30 Euro dearer than a commercial?

Insurance would probably be cheaper.

And no ...I wouldn't want to commute 60 miles a day in a Jimny either ...it's simply too slow, cramped and noisy for that. Had one for four years ...great little yoke, but not for long distances, definetly not.

peasant wrote: »
    Why convert it?

The tax for a 1.3 petrol is what? 20-30 Euro dearer than a commercial?

Insurance would probably be cheaper.

Good point

Ya see I've never owned a commercial vehicle and none of my family have either so I don't know what the prices are like for insuring one when compared to a normal same spec car

I really need to find out if I can get cheap insurance if I do very limited mileage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

i'm 34 and have a 2.5 pajero(92 reg) and have it insured for 315 euro fully comp with munster group ennis bet thats hard to beat oh ya i have breakdown recovery with that.
    Bet there phone will be ringing tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

i'm 34 and have a 2.5 pajero(92 reg) and have it insured for 315 euro fully comp with munster group ennis bet thats hard to beat oh ya i have breakdown recovery with that.

Bet that company name will be snipped by tomorrow.:p

Bet that company name will be snipped by tomorrow.:p

Why?
    There's a difference betwen a recommendation and advertising/shill. This looks like a genuine recommendation to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Builderfromhell is probably more familiar with the construction and planning forum where the first rule is:
    you dont mention firms or companies
    the second rule is you dont mention firms or companies:
    you can usually make up suedonames for companies or get just get banned:D

Jesus that's cheap, under a euro a day. Now that I could deal with. I'm 25 though so I'd say it could be dearer but still if its near that price I'd be quite happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I don't know if bring a farmer helps but we have a pajero 2.8 tubro commercial insured as private goods, open drive for over 25 years & 2 named under 25 on full license. comp. insur €430

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Jesus that's cheap, under a euro a day. Now that I could deal with. I'm 25 though so I'd say it could be dearer but still if its near that price I'd be quite happy

I want a 4x4 for all the same reasons as yourself shooting and the dogs, the insurance companies will ask you your trade I’m a welder but I not done it in years but it fills the gap in the form I heard a Tyler is a good one as there is very little tools for the insurance company to cover....
    But I notice that over the last few years the commercial insurance covers social and domestic use so your well covered
    I think tax is 270euro now, I know you can get for 50ish euro also if you bolt a vice or a generator into your jeep something to do with it being your place of work you can take out after the DOE, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Be aware that there are a few changes now with the taxing system .
    Some tax offices now will seek a vat number or 2 pps numbers for employees of yours if you want to tax a jeep commercial.
    Im 34 and have an L200 which i use only as a second vehicle its 02 and im paying €600 for fully comp with AXA .
    With the price of diesel now im getting about 80 miles to €20 and thats taking it handy on the right foot.
    I've had a few Suzuki Vitara's over the years and they always did the job for me never needed a tow out of anywhere and are fairly economical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

As Foxhunter (Jaysus my wife would love that name....NOT!) pointed out guys please beware if you're trying to TAX ANY kind of crewcab. You won't have any problem with the insurance company, I've full comp with Eagle Star and they weren't worried what I used the jeep for, work or pleasure BUT when I went to tax it (Mazda B2500), it was an import and the guy had never taxed it but they wanted me to get a declaration signed by the Guards saying I would only use it in connection with my work and NOT for social purposes. When I questioned this, I was informed "well you are getting the cheap tax rate"!!!

Advertisement