Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to say "Polish" in Polish?

Options
  • 19-08-2008 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Can someone tell me how to say "Polish" in Polish? Is is Polski, Polskie, Polska of something completely different?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It depends on what you are describing as Polish.
    The ending the 'polsk_' bit takes depends on the gender of the word following and the case.

For Polish the language it's język polski.
    For a Polish man it is Polakiem.
    For a Polish woman it is Polką.
    For a group of Polish people I think it is Polakami.
    It's a bit of a headwrecker.

**edit I'm only begining Polish, so this could be wrong.**

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭andywozhere

Jeeesh that is a headwrecker alright. I basically want something to signify "Polish" or "Polish Interest" for a new category on my new(ish) website, which is Directory and Guide for Dublin. The section will have things like Polish Pubs, restaurants, the Polish Embassy etc etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could put a Polish flag as an icon?

Make sure someone checks this, but 'Polish interest' could be 'zainteresowanie polski'.

Yes I was thinking a polish flag would be good for individual businesses, but thought that I'd have a separate category, which I think I will call "Polski".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Polish (language) - Polski
    In Polish - Po polsku
    For Poles - Dla Polaków

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

could it be:
    polska wersja (językowa) - polish (language) version?

No, polski dział - polish section :) will do good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

beazee wrote: »
    could it be:
    polska wersja (językowa) - polish (language) version?
    Yup, it's perfect. ;)
    polski dział - polish section :) will do good
    Same here.

It is definitely a "polski dział" - Polish Section, however because the site uses whatever term the category is named within text of the actual section it sound a bit odd. It reads:

"We have located 7 polski dział in the Dublin area. Please navigate using the postal areas on the map below or use the list of areas to the right of the map. Find polski dział in Dublin today!" (see http://www.dublinbynumbers.com/categories/polski-dzial for the actual page )

Obviously this is bad English/Polish. Can anyone tell me how I might say "Polish Services" in Polish? That might be marginally better. Of course maybe I should just leave it in English and most people would get the general idea.

Ps... If anyone knows of any other "Polish Services" that might be included, just let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭madziuda

What do you mean, precisely, by "Polish Services"? Polish branches of some companies, institutions etc? In that case "polski oddział" would be a better phrase

Also, in the sentence you quoted, you need to use a different case, and, since Polish is a highly inflectional language, you need different inflections at the end of the words.

So, the sentece in question should look more or less like this:

"We have located 7 polskich oddziałów in the Dublin area. Please navigate using the postal areas on the map below or use the list of areas to the right of the map. Find polski oddział in Dublin today!"

To be honest, though, you could just as well leave it in English - I'm pretty sure people will know what you mean :)

• Advertisement

Yes, I think you might be right. English might be easier. The link now is:

http://www.dublinbynumbers.com/categories/polish-services

The other link above no longer works.

Thanks to everyone who posted :)

My two cents:
    <head>
    <title>[U]Zainteresowanie Polski[/U] - Polish Interest - Dublin</title>

"Zainteresowanie Polski" sounds like "Poland states interest in..."

Make it "Polski dział" or "Polskie usługi" (Polish services) or "usługi po polsku" (services in polish)

beazee wrote: »
    My two cents:
    <head>
    <title>[U]Zainteresowanie Polski[/U] - Polish Interest - Dublin</title>

"Zainteresowanie Polski" sounds like "Poland states interest in..."

Make it "Polski dział" or "Polskie usługi" (Polish services) or "usługi po polsku" (services in polish)

Thanks Beazee, It's now
    <title>Polski Dzial - Polish Interest - Dublin</title>

:)

luv'ly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

loranenni wrote: »
    how do u say f . [EMAIL="u@c'"]uXXc'[/EMAIL]k off back to poland where ye c.un.ts belong?

The translation is "Fáilte go hÉireann." We joined the EU and Poles are more than welcome here :)

Advertisement