Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grant for Masters

• 19-08-2008 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

HI im 21 years old and i am doing a one year masters this year. It is quite expensive and IM not sure if my parets can afford it, i would just like to know if i am entitled to a grant. The thing is that my parents earn about 40-50 k between them but due to some bad choices this all goes on repaying debts.
    I know if i dont do this masters this year i never will so i really would like to do it. I will take a loan out to subsidise as much as i can but it would also be really helpful if i could get something off it. I also have two siblings in Third level education. Any info would be much apreciated
    Thank you
    Joe.

Comments

joe1986 wrote: »
    HI im 21 years old and i am doing a one year masters this year. It is quite expensive and IM not sure if my parets can afford it, i would just like to know if i am entitled to a grant. The thing is that my parents earn about 40-50 k between them but due to some bad choices this all goes on repaying debts.

I know if i dont do this masters this year i never will so i really would like to do it. I will take a loan out to subsidise as much as i can but it would also be really helpful if i could get something off it. I also have two siblings in Third level education. Any info would be much apreciated
    Thank you
    Joe.

Hey Joe,

Have you looked at the grant scheme or have you talked to your local Council/VEC yet? They'll tell you that if your parents have two or more people in full-time education the income limits raise by a certain amount:

From here
    In the 2008/2009 academic year, where 2 or more children (or the candidate's parent) are pursuing the courses listed below, the reckonable income limits may be increased by €4,815 where there are 2 such children, €9,630 where there are 3 such children and so on, by increments of €4,815.

The courses in question are:

* Full-time third-level courses
    * Recognised PLC courses, student nurse training or student garda training
    * CERT courses of at least one year's duration
    * Full-time Teagasc courses in agricultural colleges
    * Recognised full-time further education courses of at least one year's duration in Northern Ireland

Because you're under 23 you will be assessed on both your parents income and your own income, which I take it you know based on the above post. But still, since the income limits are increased by €9,630 where there are 3 children in full-time education it looks good for you getting a grant.

Have a chat with the Council/VEC about it. Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 joe1986

Thanks very much Myth

Advertisement