Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem house training cat.

Options
  • 19-08-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Mods apologies if there is a particular section for this. Please move if so.

My wife announced one morning that she was getting a kitten for the house.
    I put my foot down and said under no cicumstances were we bringing a kitten into our home. So when I came home that evening I was introduced to our newest addition "Mikey".

Now to the problem. When we got him first he was 5 weeks old, he is now 11.
    For the first 3 weeks he used a litter tray and we had no problems with him. This was then removed and he was fine using his little patch in the garden. Then last week all hell broke lose. He has found a spot in the living room where he now prefers to go to the toilet. Twice he did a s***e and last night he had a pee in the same spot.

Please tell me how this can be resolved without harming or getting rid of the kitten.

Regards,

WH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Put back the litter tray?

He's too young to be out alone - much too young, and may be getting bullied by other cats so has decided to face you and your wife rather than the neighbourhood cats. Cats are very funny about going to the toilet, if they are getting disturbed while going they wont want to go there again. It is very unusual for a cat to go indoors so there must be something stopping him from going outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

+1

Something probably has spooked him outside - or it could even be the lousy weather.

You will have to give him a litter tray and keep it clean. (In fact 2 would be best)

Clean the spot he has been using in the living room with white vinegar so the "toilet" scent is removed from the cat. You could put a litter tray over this spot and gradually move it to somewhere more acceptable.

Once you get used to dealing with the litter trays, you kinda forget about the nuisance factor. (Anyway its less of a nuisance that cleaning a floor/carpet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

as others have said he shouldn't be outside at his age - put a litter tray in the area where he is currently soiling - cats are likely to return to the same spot over & over & also put a litter tray back where his tray was originally. kittens should ideally not be allowed outside until after they've been neutered / spayed.

Advertisement