Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garages driving the crap out of peoples cars?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Del2005 wrote: »
    While not driving the bollox out of it the garage should take it for a drive to ensure that everything else is OK on the car. What would happen if you took the car back and something else fails? You'd blame the garage for not checking.

If an ould lad went to a doctor with a droopy willy, would the doctor ask for a ride to make sure what he prescribes is working.

This need to take the car for a spin is normally bollox. If the mechanic does his job right, he shouldn't need to take it for a spin up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Del2005 wrote: »
    While not driving the bollox out of it the garage should take it for a drive to ensure that everything else is OK on the car. What would happen if you took the car back and something else fails? You'd blame the garage for not checking.

Yeah I suppose that's true Del. I got it back and 2km's had been done so I'm relieved. :D

- Edit: It completely depends on what they're doing I imagine, cancan. Some mechanics doing brakes etc may test them out.
    In my case though, it was at a bodyshop for work on the rear of the car and it was driving perfectly before it went into them, so they shouldn't need to rally it around to test it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

TheNog wrote: »
    caught a mechanic doing 118kph in a 80kph zone. He was a young lad and nearly started to cry. Told me it was a customer car and even said he saw me when he going into town bout 10 minutes before!!! asked me would i be telling his boss

Did you???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

cancan wrote: »
    If an ould lad went to a doctor with a droopy willy, would the doctor ask for a ride to make sure what he prescribes is working.

This need to take the car for a spin is normally bollox. If the mechanic does his job right, he shouldn't need to take it for a spin up the road.

I completely diagree - servicing according to manufacturer's instructions will almost always include a testdrive.

When you hand a customer a car back, you have a responsibility to know that that car is roadworthy, it's the reason the garage won't hand you your car back if it's got bald tyres, they'll insist on replacing them or getting you to sign something to the effect of "garage told me my tyres are bald, if anything bad happens they have no liability".

If you serviced a car (including checking brake and brake hose condition and rotating the tyres) and then the driver drove out and crashed because of a brake failure, the responsibility could/would lie with you.

Edit: All that being said, a garage should never abuse a customers car in any fashion. If they need to high-speed, high-stress or long-distance test the car, they should be doing that with the customer's explicit permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Well I'm having difficultly finding a mechanic who would actually be arsed driving a car to diagnose a problem.....two garages now I've told them it happens while I'm driving, but all they seem to want to do to try and find the problem is give it a few revs parked up on the forecourt - 'Sir, we can't find a problem with it' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Did you???

No I can't 'cos he was driving on his own licence and is over 18 yr old so it is no one elses business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

TheNog wrote: »
    No I can't 'cos he was driving on his own licence and is over 18 yr old so it is no one elses business

In order to check that he was insured correctly you'd need to contact his boss though, ya?

Advertisement