Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT 552 Media Arts

Options
  • 19-08-2008 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Any other members starting/doing this course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

All I know is you do a module on sociology and that if you chose German or Spanish, you'll probably be merged with the Journalism classes for those languages. That's what happened last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

German aye. I'm so curious haha. Are you in MA?

Voltwad wrote: »
    German aye. I'm so curious haha. Are you in MA?
    No, journalism. There were two MA's in our Spanish class.

Oh cool, Journalism was my second choice. It was splitting hairs really.

Voltwad wrote: »
    Oh cool, Journalism was my second choice. It was splitting hairs really.
    :D I had journalism first, MA second.

Are you going to be traipsing in from Blessington everyday?

• Advertisement

Yeah well its right on the bus route, did it to Mac Dara's for six years so it wont annoy me too much, should be driving in a few months too.

Do you reckon that both courses are as good as the other for someone wanting a career in Radio Broadcasting?

I suppose it depends on what part of radio broadcasting you're planning on doing.

We didn't do anything on broadcasting last year and I don't really know too much about what the MA's did so I can't compare.

Okay, well I'd love my own show and at the info day on the course they mentioned the whole radio show trial thing, which I've done before with Blessington FM so I was pretty much sold then!

Thanks for the info anyways! Might see ya around!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

I'm starting this course in September/October. When does DIT start?

15th September it seems, can't wait. Curiosity is killing me

• Advertisement

I'm not that excited. To be honest I don't even really know what the course entails. I hope its what I think it is. I got the impression that we would be making short films/documentaries as well as doing radio broadcasting etc etc. Am I in anyway close?

Still though can't wait to start at DIT. Every teen movie I've ever seen suggests that college years are the best of your life. I can't imagine I'll be disappointed.

I think American teen movies exaggerate slightly, Would societies be the same as fraternities? I don't think so

Anyway I reckon Media Arts will have something for everybody, behind and in front of the camera or at the mic. The info day was excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lil fire engine

MAC DARAS??

i went there too!

sorry random comment!!!

How long ago you finish..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Cadeaus

Going into second year Media. It's good. Very good.

BA in Media Arts
    Wednesday, 17th September
    @ 12 noon Wednesday, 17th September
    @ 10 a.m.
    Room 5-034

there we go!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 roisin morocco

I am! lol
    cant wait, hope its fun!:):):):)

Hey Roisin :)

Seeya there!

Did anyone else log into their myDIT thingy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 roisin morocco

hey Voltwad!!:) lol wat would ur real name be??
    are we all excited?? AHH!
    you goin up for orientation on the 17th?

My name's Glenn *Shakes hand*

I'm dead excited :D:D you got an apartment and everything sorted?

Yeah I'll see ya that mornin ;)

PM me

• Advertisement

Are we supposed to go in on the 17th or the 15th? DIT have sent me conflicting information regarding this matter.

17th at 10am as far as I can gather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Johnny88

Going into 2nd year Media Arts. You'll likely be split into two groups on the first day, with one half doing audio production and still photography for the first semester, and the other doing video production. After Christmas the groups will swap and the video people will do audio...etc.
    There's no documentary work in video for first year (as of last year), purely drama. Each member pitches their script/idea to the lecturers and rest of the class and whoever is picked becomes director. You'll start off doing shorts of about a minute long with no sound and natural lighting, up to three-ish minute long ones with sound, lighting, bigger crew, multiple locations etc by the end of the semester.
    Photography is a bit of a pain as you need to get your hands on an SLR camera (i.e. not the little digital snappers that everyone has), be it digital or traditional film. You can get a film one cheaper but the cost and effort of bringing them to get developed makes me wish I splurged on a digital one, which would have been more useful afterwards. (To my knowledge you'll never be doing photography again after this single semester in first year so don't blow the bank if you don't intend to use it outside of college, it's just something they do to help you understand lenses etc which will become useful when you do video.)
    Try Conn's cameras just off Grafton (Head for tower records but turn left down the street halfway there, it looks a bit like a pharmacy from the outside) I got a second-hand Canon film SLR with a carry bag, film and lithium batteries for 100 euros. Audio consists of recording vox pops, interviews and a soundscape then editing them. We got free sandwiches in the edit suite one day, great stuff. As for the rest you'll have four hours a week of your respective language, I was one of only two in the group doing Spanish, we went to classes with Journalism and International Business students.
    The other non-practical classes are kind of like the bastard sons of English and Philosophy- English with film appreciation instead of literature appreciation, and Philosophy...well, emm, they make reference to tv but a lot of it went over my head half the time! Only a minor gripe though as I thought everything was interesting in one way or another, and if you really don't like something, chances are you'll only have to do it for that semester.
    This is dragging on so I'll wrap up by saying its a great course, plus you'll only have 13-16 hours a week of classes in first year!:D Plus each half of the class will have Mondays off for one semester each, but I won't tell which half you have to go for to get it first;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Cadeaus

It's the video crowd.

I just wanted to p!ss in your corn flakes John.

I'm in video :) everyone startin first year seems real nice! Doubt I'll be there on tuesday though, I've my debs on the monday!

Advertisement