Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expiration of consumer rights

Options
  • 19-08-2008 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

A quick overview:

two years ago I bought a solid oak bed, chest of drawers and two side tables. They were advertised as solid oak. a recent spill of water on the chest of drawers and side table has resulted in the panels swilling up and de-laminating ... it's clear they they are MDF with an oak veneer.

they were bought two years ago, do my consumer rights still apply? no doubt it's nigh-on impossible to prove it was advertised falsely.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do you have anything on paper about the sale, and who were they bought from? (not necessarily naming here, but from a large chain of shops, or individual retailer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

I would have to dig very deep but I might still have the invoice. And yes, it was from a large retailer in the Airside retail park in Swords.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

the law states goods must be as described and fit for their purpose. And these conditions are all about whats seen as reasonable, so even given the two years you should have a case, as these are goods that should last. Id dig deep and see whats written on your invoice, then go back to the seller with your complaint and see what they are willing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

cheers! thanks for the advice!

Advertisement