Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First tattoo- ankle....

Options
  • 19-08-2008 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm hoping to get my first tattoo done soon. I've been thinking about it for a while now and I've finally decided on what design I want- going for about 5 or 6 small falling stars starting beside the ankle bone and kind of curving around it. Just have a few questions before I get it done;
    -will it be very painful considering some of it will be on the bone?
    -how long should it take to heal?
    -how long before I can wear socks or tights again afterwards?

Thanks,
    Lola

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Lola87 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm hoping to get my first tattoo done soon. I've been thinking about it for a while now and I've finally decided on what design I want- going for about 5 or 6 small falling stars starting beside the ankle bone and kind of curving around it. Just have a few questions before I get it done;
    -will it be very painful considering some of it will be on the bone?
    -how long should it take to heal?
    -how long before I can wear socks or tights again afterwards?

Thanks,
    Lola

First of all fair play for getting some ink done! Second of all the questions you are asking are pretty much the norm of ALL first-timers. "will it hurt", "how long will it heal", "what do i use as aftercare" etc. I'm not being belligerent to you particularly but I need you to know that it really depends on your own threshold for pain! Sorry to put it so blunt!

Needles are going to be piercing your skin at up to 1000rpm and around a tender area. Now I'm a complete p*ssy with pain. So when the needle was creeping up to my shin bone I was about to yelp!

With decent aftercare (use bephanten) it will heal up nicely in a few weeks (2-3). Socks will be okay to wear the day after, just so you apply the cream regularly and sparingly.

Congrats again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

hey Lola,

As Chin_grin says, it really depends on your personal pain threshold. The needle on bone for me is like hot pokers, but my brother really enjoys it:eek: I think if you really want the piece you'll grin and bear it though, no pain no gain! Oh and do something that relaxes you or distracts you, I like reading and eating jelly beans :pac:

Good Luck!

C x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Lola87

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to go in and find out about it tomorrow and get a sketch of the tattoo done up. So exciting!! I think I should be ok with the pain...hopefully it won't be too bad but I'll grin and bear it! The main thing that was worrying me was whether I can wear tights or socks a few days after as I've a few weddings and events on soon that I'll be wearing a dress and tights to, and I want to get the tat done soon enough now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Black Shawl

Hello,
    I think the decision for or against a tattoo should not be dependent on pain.
    Either you want to do it or not, it's a question of your attitude.
    Everything else is secondary.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Lola87 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to go in and find out about it tomorrow and get a sketch of the tattoo done up. So exciting!! I think I should be ok with the pain...hopefully it won't be too bad but I'll grin and bear it! The main thing that was worrying me was whether I can wear tights or socks a few days after as I've a few weddings and events on soon that I'll be wearing a dress and tights to, and I want to get the tat done soon enough now.....

Just don't wear big wooly socks and you should be fine. I've tattoos on both ankles, one went pretty much over my ankle bone. The pain was different to when he was tattooing on my upper ankle, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I'm a total wuss when it comes to pain!! :o When it gets to a sore bit, I found it helpful to pick a spot on the wall and just really focus on it, it'll take your mind off it. And remember if it's really getting too much for you ask the artist can you take a break for a minute or two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Lola87

Cheers for the replies.

Yeah the pain thing I can get over, I really want this tattoo and have been thinking about it for ages (like a few years now), so I'm really excited to finally be getting it done......tomorrow!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hope this went/goes well for ya Lola87, don't forget to report back to us! :D

Advertisement