Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you IKC register a dog

• 19-08-2008 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

is it possible if you have bought a pure bred dod and it has no papers is there a way of registering the dog with the IKC, if you want to start your own line in the future?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Nope. You gotta have papers and only the breeders can register the pups.

What is the situation you are thinking of, before I decide whether I will bash you for wanting to breed when you don't know the answer to things like that already :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Nope. You gotta have papers and only the breeders can register the pups.

What is the situation you are thinking of, before I decide whether I will bash you for wanting to breed when you don't know the answer to things like that already :pac:

Yes but how do breeders become IKC breeders? Do they not have to start off somewhere? That seems like the bouncer in the nightclub syndrome, telling people its regulars only, but how are you supposed to become a regular if your not allowed in, in the first place?

Its not a question of wanting to breed its a question that i will be breeding eventually and i would prefer my dogs to have papers rather than not have papers, so as i can have a nice line that hopefully i can continue for years. Thats why i am looking into trying to get invovled with the IKC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Infraction issued for personal abuse. Posts deleted.

This forum is not a platform for moral issues. There is a forum for that sort of thing it is called humanities. This also applies to the spay and neuter brigade. Whilst I believe that spaying and neutering is a good thing I don't think people should be berated for not spaying and neutering. It is their choice. I am tired of people using this forum as a soapbox for their moralistic views.

The OP came here for advice, he asked a question. People should answer his question and not come back with a moral lecture on why should he be breeding dogs.

KhuntChops wrote: »
    Well if you had off been more clear with your reasons for breeding perhaps this issue wouldnt have came about,im not just saying this only now because off your rant but I can understand your reasons for wanting to produce a litter now after you explained it,I do apologise for more or less saying you were a moran as most people that come on here asking about breeding turn out to be and I do believe I did answer you question about registering your dog to some degree ...Report away

apolagie excepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The OP came here for advice, he asked a question. People should answer his question and not come back with a moral lecture on why should he be breeding dogs.
    Well done! I read Khuntchops response with my mouth open! This kind of response will stop people asking questions at all for fear of getting slated! The phrase "theres no such thing as a stupid question if you dont know the answer" springs to mind!

• Advertisement

now back to my original issue does anyone know or his involved with the IKC so i can get some light shed on how i may get her registered and what test/scoring must be carried out before this is done. the IKC website is very vague.

Stevoman...basically unless your dog was provided with papers when you got him you cant do it. The mother and father of the pup need to be IKC registered in order to get these papers. If they are then you need to return to the person you got the dog from and ask them, no papers no registration simple as! Otherwise you'd have every randomer turning up with their dog asking them to be registered when realistically they have no idea of their genetic descendancy!

anniehoo wrote: »
    Stevoman...basically unless your dog was provided with papers when you got him you cant do it. The mother and father of the pup need to be IKC registered in order to get these papers. If they are then you need to return to the person you got the dog from and ask them, no papers no registration simple as! Otherwise you'd have every randomer turning up with their dog asking them to be registered when realistically they have no idea of their genetic descendancy!

Damn. Its such a pity as she has such potential. Nonetheless i will prob put her into pup next summer using a great field trialling/working gundog anyways. If the sire is an IKC registered dog would the litter have any standing to be registered i wonder?

stevoman wrote: »
    If the sire is an IKC registered dog would the litter have any standing to be registered i wonder?

Again..no! Sure imagine if you wanted to buy a pup and you had no clue where the Dam (mother) came from! The whole point of IKC registering is so you can see the entire family tree of your animal..wouldnt look very good if all you had was the sires side and a total blank on the mothers!

Not unless the mother is also registered.

• Advertisement

mmm - it seems a little unfair to people and dogs who are willing to go through the rounds and scoring tests and wish to get involved in trialling though isnt it. I was told before though that within some circles of the IKC high levels of snobbery can exist.

mmm - it seems a little unfair to people and dogs who are willing to go through the rounds and scoring tests and wish to get involved in trialling though isnt it.

Not really tbh! There really isnt anything stopping you from breeding from your dog regardless of whether you have IKC status or not. Yes, you will find them harder to get homes for but if you have strong and healthy pups, regardless of whether theyre registered or not this wont make a difference to whether theyll be decent field dogs..

Just remember if you breed from a random gun dog you will have no idea of its history also..so unwittingly you may be passing on any kind of genetic disease too to your pups...almost as bad as inbreeding pedigrees tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

just keep your own line and records. if your dogs will all be workers and passed on as workers no need to reg them.

whitser wrote: »
    just keep your own line and records. if your dogs will all be workers and passed on as workers no need to reg them.

good idea whitser. hows your workers doing these days? i best keep an ear to the ground so for this year and find out who's dogs have been running well and get in touch with them for next summer.

doing grand. just breed the best with the best and your lines will develop and look after them selves. my workers are grand.didnt win any ribbons at the shows this summer though,ugly gits:D

doing grand. just breed the best with the best and your lines will develop and look after them selves. my workers are grand.didnt win any ribbons at the shows this summer though,ugly gits:D

LOL, its how they perform is what counts. Im gonna take my bitch to the country fair this year and let her have a mooch around and check out the trialling contests. I might even let her have a run. Im ragin i groomed her now though as she would look fantastic with her fan tail and lond strands on the backs of her legs and her flowing coat. but on the upside she doesnt matt from beating through the bogs anymore!

good idea whitser. hows your workers doing these days? i best keep an ear to the ground so for this year and find out who's dogs have been running well and get in touch with them for next summer.
    when you do look for a stud, go to a lad that works his dogs hard and often. genuine men who's dogs are there to hunt. dont be fooled by trial winners, an hour run in a trial is no match for a full days work.

when you do look for a stud, go to a lad that works his dogs hard and often. genuine men who's dogs are there to hunt. dont be fooled by trial winners, an hour run in a trial is no match for a full days work.

very true. there's a few good local men that have a few dingers of llewellins so i'l get in touch with them so i will after the season.

If you are breeding working dogs they really don't need to be IKC registered. The Kennel Club's idea of working dogs for the most part would not manage an hours hunting let alone a day. Your proper working dogs who can do the job the breed was designed to do probably wouldn't do that great in the show ring.

If you are hunting your dog and in contact with other hunters you will have no problem finding homes for the pups.

If you are breeding working dogs they really don't need to be IKC registered. The Kennel Club's idea of working dogs for the most part would not manage an hours hunting let alone a day. Your proper working dogs who can do the job the breed was designed to do probably wouldn't do that great in the show ring.
    its not the show ring, its trying to get your dog invovled in a field trial if i so wished. thats's a issue as a lot of triallers wont entertain you without papers.

• Advertisement

Ah. That's a bit of a pain. I don't understand that, what do papers have to do with whether a dog can perform at working trials? Sounds like someone somewhere spotted a cash cow.

all nonsense really. trialling and working are two different games imo. stick to walking the bogs with your un-reg'd setter stevo. you'll be happier for it;)

all nonsense really. trialling and working are two different games imo. stick to walking the bogs with your un-reg'd setter stevo. you'll be happier for it;)

i'l give you a shout and take you out for a few snipe some day when she's ready to show off whitser. you'd appreciate the miles of heathers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gemmag7589

does the dog have to be a pure breed to ikc it ??? xxxxx

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

gemmag7589 wrote: »

Yes and both parents must be registered with the IKC too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gemmag7589

andreac wrote: »
    Yes and both parents must be registered with the IKC too.

awh is there any were that i can register my dog ? x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP how comes you didn't get papers? Is it a case where you've only gotten the pup and the breeder hasn't sent them to you (ours took weeks to come) or is there no papers at all - maybe they've bred too many litters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

It all depends what register you want the dog to go on. There is an agility and working register I believe, that you can register the dog on, they don't have to be purebreed. But that is different to having pedigree dogs with papers and proof of ancestry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

awh is there any were that i can register my dog ? x

Can i ask why you want the dog registered and why it wasnt already registered? What breed is it and do you know if the parents were registered?
    Do you still keep in touch with the breeder as they could organise it for you if thats possible.

Oh is it a pedigree or cross breed? if its a cross breed i think you can only register it for agility as far as i know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement