Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you IKC register a dog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

ISDW wrote: »
    It all depends what register you want the dog to go on. There is an agility and working register I believe, that you can register the dog on, they don't have to be purebreed. But that is different to having pedigree dogs with papers and proof of ancestry.

There is a register for agility dogs - kind of. Your dog has to have a licence from the IKC to compete in IKC affiliated shows, the licence doesn't have any lineage history so you can register cross breeds. It's mainly to track number of wins so the dog can be moved up in the classes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gemmag7589

ISDW wrote: »
    It all depends what register you want the dog to go on. There is an agility and working register I believe, that you can register the dog on, they don't have to be purebreed. But that is different to having pedigree dogs with papers and proof of ancestry.

im just waiting on my dogs papers she is a great dane and half rottweiler she is mostly dane though could you please tell me how to register her xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

gemmag7589 wrote: »
    im just waiting on my dogs papers she is a great dane and half rottweiler she is mostly dane though could you please tell me how to register her xx

You can not register mutts! That is what your dog is considered to be! The whole charging a fortune for so called designer dogs is a scam! These animals are not a recognised breed - so you can not register her - sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

If your dog has papers, then she's registered, thats what having papers means, the dog is registered with the IKC and the papers are to prove that. However, as she's a cross, then theres no way she's going to have papers. Where are the papers alledgedly coming from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry but you cannot register your dog if she is a cross breed, i sincerely hope for your sake you havent paid big money for this dog and told that shes coming with papers as you will be left waiting as you cannot register cross breeds with the IKC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but you cannot register your dog if she is a cross breed, i sincerely hope for your sake you havent paid big money for this dog and told that shes coming with papers as you will be left waiting as you cannot register cross breeds with the IKC.

Buyer beware ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Also all dogs must be micro chipped now before they can be registered, I see a lot of people this year trying to sell pups claiming they are IKC reg, they have no micro chip & they claim "I am awaiting return of certificates from the IKC, I will post them to you after they arrive"

I know a couple of ppl who have been tricked by that scam, all IKC certs have to be signed by the previous owner to transfer ownership to you, therefore you get the cert with the dog, not a fob off story of the cert being posted to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

No pup should be sold before eight weeks and eight weeks is plenty of time to register a litter, there is no reason why a pup should come without papers on the day of purchase unless there is something dodgy going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not sure about that the IKC took months to register our pup and still haven't got the papers just an e-mail confirming he's finally registered. Took approx. 4months for them for the papers to go through. So if that's the general norm then pups would have to be regd. at birth and not sold until they are 16 weeks at the very least.

And most people get their pups at 8 weeks so they'd still be waiting for two months even if they were regd. at birth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The point being lost here is that mutts cannot be registered full stop.

Not sure about that the IKC took months to register our pup and still haven't got the papers just an e-mail confirming he's finally registered. Took approx. 4months for them for the papers to go through. So if that's the general norm then pups would have to be regd. at birth and not sold until they are 16 weeks at the very least.

And most people get their pups at 8 weeks so they'd still be waiting for two months even if they were regd. at birth.

They can get delayed but most time they are done pretty quick so you shouldnt be waiting for the papers unless there was a mistake or something done wrong with the registration.

Who did you get the email from? was it the ikc or the breeder as it really shouldnt take that long.

Had contacted the ikc a while ago to see what the story was and didn't get a reply, then they finally e-mailed me and so did the breeder to say it was sorted.
    Still waiting for them to post the actual papers down. Have the cert with his bloodline on it etc. but no sign of papers yet.

So much for doing everything by the book and researching like mad and choosing as wisely as is humanley possible sometimes people just let you down no matter how genuine.

Ah thats ok then. I know they were majorly behind with everything during the summer after the big Euro Winners show that was on, but they should be back on track now.
    Sometimes if theres a mistake with a name etc it can take a while and delay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Similar happened me, got pup at 9weeks, nearly 2months later no papers in the post, I asked her again for them and she apologised, she'd had some stuff going on and hadn't posted them off yet. So she posted them to me, and I then filled the rest in and posted it to IKC for change of ownership. Got em back fairly quick.

Really? I've never heard of papers taking that long, I've always gotten mine on the day of purchase with the back signed so I just have to change the dog into my name. Have to say if I was dealing with someone who didn't have the papers ready on the day of purchase and I didn't know the breeder personally I wouldn't purchase the pup, I just wouldn't take the chance on it being a scam, I'm sure there will always be the exception to the rule but I just wouldn't take the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

star-pants wrote: »
    Similar happened me, got pup at 9weeks, nearly 2months later no papers in the post, I asked her again for them and she apologised, she'd had some stuff going on and hadn't posted them off yet. So she posted them to me, and I then filled the rest in and posted it to IKC for change of ownership. Got em back fairly quick.

maybe a silly question - but never owned a pedigree dog - how do you know if the papers given are for the puppy/dog you bought? Especially if you get them 2 months after, is it possible that the breeder could use one set of papers for all puppies, i.e. only register one or two pups and just use those papers for all the other pups?

from what you say you post the papers back to IKC - so I guess this is inplausable, do you get papers back?

Yes you get the papers back. They register their litter/or whichever puppies and get papers and names /dob etc. The IKC send it to them, they sign it and post it on to you, you fill in the rest & post back to IKC with the fee. You then get the new papers back, with the breeders details and your ownership on them.
    They can't use them for multiple puppies as they go through the IKC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Rosie13

I got my dog in June and am still awaiting the papers from the breeder. contacted the IKC about it but they couldnt give me any info as I didnt have reciept , method of payment etc..

The breeder says its a delay with the IKC.

Im going to ring her again soon now to see what she says.

Any advice PLEASE???????

Rosie13 wrote: »

Any advice PLEASE???????

Well can the IKC tell you if she's registered with them herself even?

I would keep on to the breeder, that's a long time for papers. My breeder forgot to post mine for about 6wks, but she was apologetic and did say they were sitting in her office, but sent them off and I wasn't waiting too long at all.

• Advertisement

Rosie13 wrote: »
    I got my dog in June and am still awaiting the papers from the breeder. contacted the IKC about it but they couldnt give me any info as I didnt have reciept , method of payment etc..

The breeder says its a delay with the IKC.

Any advice PLEASE???????

Theres no way they should take that long, i would urge you to ring the breeder and explain you have been onto the IKC and say that you are wondering why the papers havent come yet as they dont take that long.

I would ring the IKC and maybe say you are waiting on papers as you need to show the dog and need his papers through soon.
    Can i ask where you found this breeder, were they recommended to you or were they online? Some of those online sites are very dodgy and a lot are puppy farmers.
    Did you go to the breeders house to pick up the pup? if so maybe call back and say you really need these papers asap!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Rosie13

Thank you both very nuch for replying.
    I got her name on Irish dogs.ie where they display a list of breeders.
    I went to see the puppy at her home and everything seemed fine and very well cared for. I then arranged to take the puppy and she informed me she was going to register her straight away. She even had her microchipped due to that requirement. I can feel the chip. she gave me her own kennel papers for the puppy with the reg numbers for all the dogs connected to it. However I noticed that she didnt fill in the mothers reg number even though the rest of the mothers line is filled in. As this was only her own version. I presumed that would be filled in on the I.K.C papers.

I am going to ring her again but I know she will have some excuse for me.

The kennel club arent telling me anything as if yet.

What breed is it and i might know the breeder if they show too?

Im not sure about being able to feel the microchip though as they are very small.
    Just ring her and tell her this is going on way too long now and you have enquired to the IKC and you need to know why its taking so long.

Dont take any excuses, tell her you will call down to her house to sort it out as it shouldnt be taking this long now.

Oh also, how come she only decided to register the pup after you went to her?? this should be done at about 6 weeks once they are microchipped etc so the papers should have been with the kennel club at that stage.

Agree with andreac - my pup was registered/being registered when I got her.
    The lady just forgot to post the IKC papers to me for a while. But she did have them from the IKC.

Even if she sent them off when you got the pup in June, it's been 6months, it does NOT take that long. So either her registration got lost in the post *to* the IKC, or she's lying about when she sent them.

We just wanted the papers as a formality wasn't really bothered about them as everything else was above board but figured since we payed for the pup we should get them esp. if things change with the rules on the IKC over time ie we are having him neutered and the option to show would be nice.
    Although prefer to stick to fun dog shows tbh.

You know summit, no matter how much research you do and questions people ask and all the rest you can't win.
    We researched the breed, got updates, visited and were very happy with everything dogs were a part of the home and gorgeous and healthy, the papers were just a bit of a pain to get.

Downside, pup was otherwise healthy (chipped, vaccinated etc.) but after a couple of days turned out he had a very bad case of ear mites very deep in his ear he was scratching like mad so took him to the vet and got it sorted but he's now very sensative to mites so it's something we have to keep on top of.

What I don't get is the pup had two visits to the vet I have the card to prove it and yet the vet didn't pick up on it, makes me wonder how thorough the health checks were.

This was just after buying him but still no come back financially just to cover that vet visit from the breeder, we were very dissapointed.
    Biggest mistake I made was not getting a receipt and from now on will never buy another dog you have more comeback and support from a rescue if there is an health issue with a dog than you have with a breeder.

He's delight and don't regret getting him but we waited 3 years to get this guy because we were waiting for the right time, we saved we aren't minted, he is doubling up as a therapy dog for our Sprog and it's the best thing we did for her in a long time.

All I can say unless you need a dog for a specific reason, eg therapy dog, assistant dog, working dog etc. ..mind you even rescues can be..go for a rescue. A dog is a dog is a dog at the end of the day.

Lets just say given up on getting any money back to cover the vet fee and will not be recommending the breeder to anyone (haven't mentioned any names and don't intend to).

Go with rescue, there are lots of charity fun dog shows around the country and agility and so many things these days that any dog any shape or size or breed can do.

This all sounds v.dodgy to me, it sounds to me like the mother is either endorsed or she was too young to breed. I've a friend who's dog was born in Sept but according to the kennel club she was born in Dec (my friend had already owned her a month at this stage) as the mother was too young to breed so the pups were registered late. This is why I advise people to get their pups paperwork on the day of purchase otherwise you are in a situation where you are chasing your tail (pardon the pun) trying to get the papers and at the end of the day as there is no contract signed the breeder is under no obligation to register the pup, it is as many people say a case of 'buyer beware'.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 xcitin121

i now have a female lab american kind that i got at 8 weeks its now 4 months old and still no papers or medical cards about injections etc i know the breeder came to my house and injected her i am ringing him every day but sometimes no answer and i dont know what to do i have his name but not his address.....

the dog is now at my parents house and they look for papers as they have an old dog and affraid that he might pick something from her unless we know what shots she had etc

how do i contact someone to see if or when i get papers....

breeder says u have lots of time need papers only when breeding her but for my piece of mind i would like them in my hand

help please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

xcitin121 wrote: »
    i now have a female lab american kind that i got at 8 weeks its now 4 months old and still no papers or medical cards about injections etc i know the breeder came to my house and injected her i am ringing him every day but sometimes no answer and i dont know what to do i have his name but not his address.....

the dog is now at my parents house and they look for papers as they have an old dog and affraid that he might pick something from her unless we know what shots she had etc

how do i contact someone to see if or when i get papers....

breeder says u have lots of time need papers only when breeding her but for my piece of mind i would like them in my hand

help please

The papers and the vaccination certificate are very seperate things. Why did the breeder vacc the pup, instead of you taking the pup to a vet? Usually the sticker from the bottle that is used to vaccinate the dogs is taken off the bottle and put onto the vaccination card as proof, and with all of the info incase of allergic reaction etc.

I don't like to over vaccinate a dog, but I think in your position I would go to my local vet and get the dogs vaccinations started again to make sure. Have you not had the puppy looked at by a vet at all since you got her? I would always advice taking a dog to a vet soon after purchase/adoption just for a check up. Also, if you want to put the dog into kennels, you will need proof of vaccination.

Personally that doesn't sound good to me at all.
    Only vets / highly trained people should do vaccinations, plus if you're buying a pedigree (with papers etc) you're paying for good care too. The pup should have been brought to the vet - as ISDW said - the sticker goes on the card so you know what the pups been vaccinated against.

You say you only have the name and number of the breeder but not their address? You should have had the papers long before now, the pup is 4 months old, I would keep ringing them - I assume you paid for the dog and pedigree aren't cheap.

As ISDW said - I would go to the vet and explain what has gone on and see what they think they'll do regarding vaccinations. You pup should have had it's final lot of vaccinations at around 10 + weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 xcitin121

star-pants wrote: »
    Personally that doesn't sound good to me at all.
    Only vets / highly trained people should do vaccinations, plus if you're buying a pedigree (with papers etc) you're paying for good care too. The pup should have been brought to the vet - as ISDW said - the sticker goes on the card so you know what the pups been vaccinated against.

You say you only have the name and number of the breeder but not their address? You should have had the papers long before now, the pup is 4 months old, I would keep ringing them - I assume you paid for the dog and pedigree aren't cheap.

As ISDW said - I would go to the vet and explain what has gone on and see what they think they'll do regarding vaccinations. You pup should have had it's final lot of vaccinations at around 10 + weeks.

i had her to a vet and he asked same questions as she was sick shortly after i got her i thought it was pavo but just gastric prob... that has now cleared

he injected her about a month ago in my house he said that he had to give her last injection so i assumed it was ok... he left btls behinf him i kept them there duramune DAPPi+LC... 2 btls but for different things but they for agenst alot i read the labels

i paid 550 euro and now beginning to think was i fooled

but as far as health and stuff she is great had her to vet 2 times and he said she is very happy healthy dog... not that i want to breed her but if i paid for papers i would like to have them i would not give her back or anything but im angry i could have got one for 200

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement