Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you IKC register a dog

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Bring the bottles to the vet - let them check if they're the correct vaccines etc.

I would continue to call the breeder, there could be a simple explaination but it just doesn't sound right to me. So you may never see the papers unfortunately.
    Them saying that there's no rush on needing the papers is not an excuse - you bought the pup & papers, you should get both. I might also ring the IKC and ask about this breeder, see if they can give you any info, at the least you can inform them that this person may not be legit. If you saw them on a website, I'd inform the website too.

I assume you've been trying for the last 2months to get a hold of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It's very unusual for a breeder to give the vaccines themselves.
    I know of several that do this. Not at all uncommon around these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Bond-007 wrote: »

But surely it would be very uncommon not to then put the stickers onto a vacc card, as proof of vaccination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Bond-007 wrote: »
    ISDW wrote: »
    But surely it would be very uncommon not to then put the stickers onto a vacc card, as proof of vaccination?

Yeah sorry I guess I meant more how it was done - that they came over did it, left and are now uncontactable. And the person has no vaccine card - assumidly no proof of first vaccines either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

xcitin121 wrote: »
    i have his name but not his address.....

Don't you have the breeders address from viewing/collecting the puppy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Hi guys, hope you can help i am about to pick up our new BASSET HOUND on Friday i see there prone to some health problems. The man we are getting her from has both parents reg, with the IKC seems genuine just wanted to ask does it mean there healthy parents of my pup he is micro chipping her and reg her too. Hope to hear from someone soon... Thanks very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No, it doesnt automatically mean they are healthy if they are IKC reg as anyone can register with the IKC once both parents are registered.

Its up to the owner to get the dogs health tested before breeding so i would be asking him has he done this and ask for proof, hip scores etc. Im not sure what tests should be done on bassetts but id contact the rbeed club and find out for sure exactly what should be done and then go from there and enquire with him.

Also, health testing is not just a quick once over by the vet, its any tests relative to the breed which could be hip/elbow scoring, eye testing, heart testing and so on so dont let him fob you off saying hes had the vet check them as that isnt enough.

Pups have to be microchipped to IKC reg them so that would be the only reason for that as well, it doesnt have anything to do with the dog being healthy.

Hi and thanks for the reply. Ok thats great i have e mailed the IKC to find out what i should be asking. Lovely dog terrible shame the way all the Pure breds have all these health problems Shame!!!! I will have to get her insured straight away so if thats the case. Do you know if they are any good in paying up??? Thanks again for your input much appricted

You are welcome.

I would contact the breed club as opposed to the IKC themselves as they arent great at replying to those sort of things.
    Heres the contact for the Bassett Hound Club:

Basset Hound Club of Ireland
    Mr. B. O'Neill
    3 Glen Abhainn Grove, Enfield, Co. Meath.
    (046-9549111)

Id deffo recommend insurance for sure, and sooner rather than later too.

They are usually fine at paying up and ive never had any problems claiming and im with Allianz which i would recommend as well.

Ah your a star thanks soo very much thats brilliant didn't know they had one of them brilliant. I am just bit iffy now in taking one with all there health problem then again all pure breds are like that i guess!!!!! I will ring him now thanks a million

• Advertisement

Id be more inclined to get a pup through a breeder through the club as opposed to looking for one advertised online or in the papers as you just dont know what kind of breeder you are getting then.

The club will have some contacts of breeders with puppies or ones that are planning puppies so best to go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

okay now what i dont get is how did it start, surely the ikc reg has to start somewer

if you get what i mean,
    example your first 2 dogs arnt ikc reg and no papers,
    how do you go about doing it?

it just seems unfair to not let people get their animals registered just because the person befor didnt

and what did people do befor ikc, ??
    people are saying you cant prove its purebread, so howd they do it befor this magical piece of paper
    surely a good expert could check the dog, or blood tests and allow it to then be reged

it just seems stupid that a piece of paper makes an animal more valuable

i agree you cant have everyone going round wit registered crossbreeds just because they had one thats was very close to pure
    but surely there could be a test of some sort to prove it?
    tought i read somewer that blood tests would proves, so why cant that be done
    the whole things an aful set up

in other countries you can get them registered, but you get different papers some sort of visual reg or something, they just basically check if it looks like a pure bread, then give you papers but it says that on it,
    but i would assume that with your first litter you could prove its authenticity (not 100% on that but i dont see why you couldnt)

anyway sorry bout the rant, im in the same boat as the op
    have a beautiful german shepard and cant get her registered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

lankz92 wrote: »
    okay now what i dont get is how did it start, surely the ikc reg has to start somewer

if you get what i mean,
    example your first 2 dogs arnt ikc reg and no papers,
    how do you go about doing it?

it just seems unfair to not let people get their animals registered just because the person befor didnt

and what did people do befor ikc, ??
    people are saying you cant prove its purebread, so howd they do it befor this magical piece of paper
    surely a good expert could check the dog, or blood tests and allow it to then be reged

it just seems stupid that a piece of paper makes an animal more valuable

i agree you cant have everyone going round wit registered crossbreeds just because they had one thats was very close to pure
    but surely there could be a test of some sort to prove it?
    tought i read somewer that blood tests would proves, so why cant that be done
    the whole things an aful set up

in other countries you can get them registered, but you get different papers some sort of visual reg or something, they just basically check if it looks like a pure bread, then give you papers but it says that on it,
    but i would assume that with your first litter you could prove its authenticity (not 100% on that but i dont see why you couldnt)

anyway sorry bout the rant, im in the same boat as the op
    have a beautiful german shepard and cant get her registered

Which countries do this?

Having a registered dog also means that you can trace your dog's lineage back through the generations, which can be important in breeding - for responsible breeders.

Why do you want to get your GSD registered? You say she is beautiful, so you obviously love her, what difference will a piece of paper make? Unless you want to breed or show her, and if you want to show her, there are plenty of agricultural shows in Ireland during the summer months when dogs don't need to be IKC registered. If you want to breed her, do you know her pedigree even if she's not registered? There could be something in her genes that make her unsuitable for breeding. Can I ask why you bought an unregistered dog if it is important to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Pedigree refers to a modern dog breed that closely resembles other dogs of the same breed, with ancestry documented in a stud book and registered with one of the major dog registries. There are currently (approximately) five million pure bred dogs in the UK, representing 75% of the overall dog population (source: PFMA 2008)

Source: http://www.medicanimal.com/viewarticle/~contentId=111530/~nodeTrailCsv=AR-DOGS-PUPPIES,111530/~category_id=MA_DOGS

Generally when breeds first became 'registered' those with a lot of experience sat down and wrote the breed standard. Then any dogs being entered in the studbook went through rigorous assessment to determine if they were a prime example or not. There would have come a point then that the studbook was closed. The point of all this was so that we today can trace our dogs right back to their original ancestors that formed the studbook in the first place. There have been cases where a studbook is re-opened where new blood needs to be added to improve the health of the breed etc.

The original studbook for the GSD would have been created in Germany so in theory everyone who owns a GSD should be able to trace back its lines to the original dogs that formed the breed. This is the whole point of owning a pedigree dog. How studbooks were created and so on is all very interesting and I think it would make a great thread. However this one has been on Boards longer than I have so I'm locking it.

If you are interested in how your breed was formed, a good place to start would be to go and purchase any good breed specific 'manual'. All of these contain a wealth of information on how the individual breed was formed and it's history.

Locking

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement