Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

600-800 on new gaming rig. Suggestions?

Options
  • 19-08-2008 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of just picking up this:

http://www.ankermann-pc.com/en/cpu_configa36.php?artikelnr=10714

I already have a nice 24" monitor. I've built a few pc's from scratch already but that seems like a good deal without the hassle. I havent made an pc's in the last 3 years though so am not too sure of whats good at the moment. All i'm set on is 4gigs ram, a quad core and a good graphics card. Pc will be used for gaming.

I've no problem making my own again if it will save me some money. What do people think? Open to any suggestions :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

What about this instead? Anything incompatible there or not good? Am I missing anything?

69105675ui0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

How much is the second (listed) spec coming to?
    Surely thats more than 600-800 euro?

If not, let me know where i can get one!!! :D

Says it on it right there. €740 + €30 shipping I think

hardwareversand.de

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CakeJumperer

I'd dump the DDR3 ram and Mobo, it's not really an effective alternative to DDR2 right now.
    Also the HD4850 is cheaper and should perform similarly if not better than the 9800!
    What about OS, monitor etc?

Dont need monitor or OS.

Yeah I wasnt sure on the DDR3. I've just done some reading up on it and it seems the bigger benefit is in getting the P35 chipset. Could drop the DDR3 for some faster DDR2 I guess

• Advertisement

40043046me3.jpg

Maybe that's better?

It's looking a little better now:)
    I'd ditch the case and psu combo, can't trust them.
    Go for an antec 900 witch ships with 4 very effective fans + fan controll and throw in a 500+W psu, maybe the ocz stealthXstream.
    A alternative to that ram setup would be:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=21669&agid=677.
    and mobo:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=22408&agid=659
    It should be cheaper and still give you some headroom to oc:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Sonata comes with an excellent psu.

Personally I'd go for cheaper ram and a cheaper board as suggested above and get a 4870, it will affect games far greater then your mobo/ram combo will. any particular reason you need ram that fast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

throw in a 500+W psu, maybe the ocz stealthXstream.

Nothing Stealth bout OCZ psu's, noisy as fcuk, had one and hated it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's looking a little better now:)
    Go for an antec 900 witch ships with 4 very effective fans + fan controll and throw in a 500+W psu, maybe the ocz stealthXstream.
    A alternative to that ram setup would be:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=21669&agid=677.
    and mobo:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=22408&agid=659
    It should be cheaper and still give you some headroom to oc:)
    The stealthstreams are meant to be pretty loud though. Go with a corsair psu.

€130 is crazy money for ddr2 just get some 6400 stuff.

• Advertisement

I tend to have a lot of stuff running on my pc. I'm a software developer so the faster this thing runs the better (within budget ofc).

I was looking at the Antec P182 + a Corsair 550W PSU combo

42272116ts3.jpg

I think I'm pretty much gonna go with the above spec.

Anyone know what the payment situation is with Hardwareversand? Is it bank transfer only? Can I do it on my AIB online banking?

Here's what I'd generally get with 800. It can be done a lot cheaper with cheaper ram, cheaper case, cheaper power supply (a 450w Corsair would suffice; it's better to be at least ready for better hardware in a few months should you need it).

A few points:

I always cheap out on my board. That's not to say I get any old POS; but a decent, quality budget board. Better boards will give you better features, especially better stability and range in overclocking - but is that really necessary? Even a decent cheap budget board will get that Q6600 up to 3Ghz and I sincerely doubt you need it at anything higher. Also, the stock cooler will support that fine, so an aftermarket cooler isn't strictly necessary, so I ditched it. The ram is actually quite good, and again, you could half that cost if you weren't overclocking - PC-9200 is definitely way OTT in my opinion and pointless. The only things I really spend money on are PSU and Case. Everything else is easily compromisable in my opinion. Getting a 4870 over a 4850 for example will give a very noticeable difference in games on a large monitor; the ram would make pretty much none whatsoever. I also included a Blu-Ray player as....well, it's just nice, but shave 100 off that price if you don't want it. A bog standard DVD-RW is only 20 euro. Finally, another place you'll save money is by getting a fast dual core, which at a lesser price will outperform the Q6600 in 95% of games and won't need upgrading for that purpose for quite some time yet - you mentioned work though, so that's why I included it.

untitled-18.jpg

Thanks for the input. Tell me more about a faster dual core please. I'd only be using it on and off for work related stuff as the bulk of my work would be done on a dev box in work. This is primarily my gaming rig so I'm deffinitely open to suggestions

Something like this. Most games are optimized for dual core and would perform better with a higher clocked dual core then lower clocked quad core. Now, that said, there are a few games that can benefit from Quad Core but at the end of the day it's the video card that will decide your gaming performance. I inadvertently exaggerated a little there, a Q6600 at either stock 2.4Ghz or slightly overclocked to say 2.7Ghz will keep up with any card. so it's not really a big issue, again, the card is much more important and I would advice you to at least fit the 4870 in there, you will appreciate it on a 24" monitor. I also have a 24" monitor, my video cards are the limiting factor in the few games that do test my system, not the CPU (I have a Q6600).

The E8400 is an excellent choice for a dual core. Great price and it's a 45nm chip so it runs cooler and consumes less power:) Also the SSE4 instruction set may help out for video en\decoding.. i thnik:D

I think I'll go with the q6600 and clock it to the region of 3-3.2. That should be enough to keep up with the gfx card and it'll mean that I have the extra cores should I need them in the future. I've switched in the 4870 and changed the case/mobo/ram and its coming to €750 delivered.

So anyone know about the payment process with these guys?

Order your system, then you'll get the details you'll need to fill in a bank transfer form from the bank. That's pretty much it.
    I think if you plan on overclocking the Q6600 is the definatly way to go.

Just a little update. I ordered my new rig on thursday night from hardwareversand. This is what I went with in the end:

orderpcty1.jpg

Went with the E8400 in the end. If this nehalem cpu is as good as it sounds I'll be upgrading it anyway in a year or two. For now I'll be clocking the 8400 to 3.6ghz and that should do me for games

Nice, how much did it come to?
    I've tryed using HWV's configurator amd i cant choose the 4870 with a psu that costs less than 80euro:\ The corsair 550 should be plenty:confused:
    I'm gonna wait for the 1Gig 4870 and maybe some nahelem compatible mobo before i order mine.

• Advertisement

€662 including delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

What are the reviews on the P43 Ds3l like?

I havent seen any, besides chinese ones.

Advertisement