Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator attitude on the Soccer Forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

GuanYin wrote: »
    But you weren't talking about soccer yesterday :p
    No I wasnt ........................................................... ;)

FWIW I would consider GuanYin the more civil, grown up and mature of the two principal soccer mods.
    Good Lord , so its not GuanYin at fault , who we talking here, T4TF, PHB or Dub13?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Van Zuylen wrote: »
    True Gandalf my good man, its more shrunk willy ;) LOL

Sorry for going OT.

Thats old age for you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

I appreciate that a busy and potentially controversial forum needs rules. But Atheism is likely to stir up just as much passion and strong feeling and it's lightly moderated. As a result the debate is almost universally respectful.

Well, as someone who managed to get themselves kicked off the atheism forum, the things you posted here by the mods seem fair enough. If it were the case that they were being paid to mod and I was paying to post that'd be a different story, but come on it's people chipping in in their spare time and doing things on a best effort basis.

Mereckons mods should get to be a bit crankier than other posters if needed given the effort they're putting in of their own accord. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to make such I nice case as you given some of my posts though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »
    Ya see!. Such interaction in real life would get you a punch from many (not me as I run from girls who give me the evil eye)

Mike.
    GuanYin wrote: »

I may well be aggresive in modding soccer.

I tend to react aggresively when people infer insult my co-mods (Oscarbravo as above) and infer a similar insult on me (and then imply I deserve physical abuse).

Thats quite a leap I did NOT imply any such thing. I suggested if you interfaced with real humans as you have done in this thread you might get a response that was less than freindly. I did not suggest you deserved it only that you might get it. There is a difference.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Most of the time, most of the posters on the soccer forum are civil and contribute to meaningful discussions.
    You are 100% correct and I interact with soccer forum users in other fora on a daily basis. I was merely giving my experience as an outsider. It's an unfortunate fact that the outsiders only ever see it when it goes wrong and so their opinion of the orchard is tarnished by the few bad apples. It's a bit like real life isn't it - well behaved fans dont make news headlines.
    From personal experience the people who are most likely to question the behaviour of soccer fans on boards (and the conduct of the forum) are those who either do not post there, or rarely visit the forum. Seems the closing of the forum four years ago, and the odd feedback thread since then continues to colour people's opinions of what is by and large a decent forum.
    Personally, as a non user, I would not attempt to comment on any specifics, however I, like many others on boards only ever see it when threads like this or 'I was banned unfairly - fight teh powah' threads pop up. The same can be said of a few other fora where we only ever see the overspill - politics would be a good example.
    The fact that the moderation teams have now zeroed in on how to maintain control, albeit harshly in some cases, and yet keep the vast majority of users happy warrants applause yet at the same time attracts criticism when they seem unwilling to change a time tested formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

send terry in there. Problem solved imo.

I dont visit the soccer forums, i have access but i just think the entry system is retarded.

If one there misbehaves ban them, like in any other forum here.

snyper wrote: »
    send terry in there. Problem solved imo.

I dont visit the soccer forums, i have access but i just think the entry system is retarded.

If one there misbehaves ban them, like in any other forum here.
    Terry as Soccer Forum mod would be mental fun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

This was all started by some muppet who attacked the mods of the soccer forum for deleting his post, which turns out wasn't deleted at all.

If you ask me, the criteria for entering the soccer forum is too remedial.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Boggles wrote: »
    This was all started by some muppet who attacked the mods of the soccer forum for deleting his post, which turns out wasn't deleted at all.

If you ask me, the criteria for entering the soccer forum is too remedial.

His post about the deleted thread came after he brought the issue up in the first place (and he is not the only one to bring it up). Also, when it was pointed out that his post was not deleted, he went back, looked, saw he was srong and apologised. I don't think your muppet comment is called for.From was I have seen of redspiders posts (and most of them in the liverpool thread) he is never out of line, only commenting with match reviews, how he sees things panning out and other general liverpool talk. The fact that one of his match posts was moved made him a bit annoyed at the rules system.

I do see where GuanYin is coming from, but I disagree with it (as is my wont). My disagreement of this new rule is irrelevant though, but I think that any comments I have put in saying this were not (I hope) ones that she felt were worthy of sharp reply. I do think that she is quite confrontational, but each to their own I guess, confrontational doesn't necessarily mean bad and ones mans confrontation etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Try discussing Hill 16/Dublin fans on the GAA forum.
    The GAA forum peaks at this time of year and even more when Dublin are involved in the latter stages of the football championship. Since last Saturday, we have been taking no sh1t whatsoever in GAA and a few bans have been dished out.

The soccer forum is a different beast altogether in that it is busy every day of the year and tribalism is rampant. In GAA, the majority of trolling/flaming is directed at Dublin.

I don't envy the soccer mods who do a good job.

5starpool wrote: »
    His post about the deleted thread came after he brought the issue up in the first place (and he is not the only one to bring it up). Also, when it was pointed out that his post was not deleted, he went back, looked, saw he was srong and apologised. I don't think your muppet comment is called for.

I didn't see an apology. There was this.
    redspider wrote: »
    Well, this time I WILL put my hands up and say mea culpa.

The post in question IS there after all, neither deleted nor moved. I just couldnt remember what I wrote!

Good to hear that moderators do track what is deleted.

And as for the comments from the 'usual suspects' .......

Hardly Grovelling!! I stand by my muppet comment, tis hardly the worst thing in the world to be called now is it for his tone and attitude? I'm sure he is a grand fellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol as soon as I logged into soccer and saw that thread locked I knew this was the place to come.

Most of the time, most of the posters on the soccer forum are civil and contribute to meaningful discussions. Every now and then things get heated and a person or persons will lash out (I'll hold my hands up and say I've been guilty of that in the past) but for the most part the forum functions well.

From personal experience the people who are most likely to question the behaviour of soccer fans on boards (and the conduct of the forum) are those who either do not post there, or rarely visit the forum. Seems the closing of the forum four years ago, and the odd feedback thread since then continues to colour people's opinions of what is by and large a decent forum.

That's an awful shame.

^^^ This is the truth.

The whole rules thing has been completely blown out of all proportion. There were a couple of minimal changes, most of which have actually benefitted the casual user as all previous bans have been wiped from your personal record meaning you're a lot further away from that third strike than you previously were. The red/yellow card system also makes it a lot more difficult to get banned. But of course people will nit pick at the little negatives rather than looking at all the positives.

The soccer mods do a great job. GY gets a lot of unnecessary stick. I have yet to see a ban that A) wasn't really deserved or B) wasn't overturned when she held her hands up and admitted a mistake. You can't ask for much more from a mod really. Complaining about her 'attitude' is again nit picking. If you had to deal with the amount of trolls, muppets and general arseholes that frequent the soccer/politics forums you'd be pretty snappy too.

In summary, not a lot has changed, there is no need for additional mods now Dub13 is in, and there is far less tribalism/baiting than there used to be. Good all round.
    snyper wrote: »

Why? It was hardly put there for no reason in fairness. I doubt the mods like having to reply to 15 or 20 requests every second day, half of which have come from tools who claim to have read a charter when they clearly haven't. I can't imagine dealing with people of that level can be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Why? It was hardly put there for no reason in fairness.

It's funny. I know why the entry rules are there and I fully agree with the need for them but for some reason it kind of irks me that I'd have to apply for access with the whole "state the italicised words" thing. It feels a bit condescending or something. I think other people feel the same way.
    I doubt the mods like having to reply to 15 or 20 requests every second day, half of which have come from tools who claim to have read a charter when they clearly haven't. I can't imagine dealing with people of that level can be fun.

Judging by some of the eh... creative replies to incorrect soccer access requests, I think the mods may take a certain small pleasure in it.

I didn't see an apology. There was this.

Hardly Grovelling!! I stand by my muppet comment, tis hardly the worst thing in the world to be called now is it for his tone and attitude? I'm sure he is a grand fellow.

Well if you want to split hairs......

Also, I just wanted to say for no real reason whatsoever, that you are the only person on boards I have ever come close to putting on ignore. Ovbiously you don't give a crap, and why would you, but just thought i'd say it.

Well if you want to split hairs......

Also, I just wanted to say for no real reason whatsoever, that you are the only person on boards I have ever come close to putting on ignore. Ovbiously you don't give a crap, and why would you, but just thought i'd say it.

Why would you feel compelled to say that? And why don't you just do it?

I actually think putting people on ignore is retarded.

To be honest it is posters like you on the soccer forum that make moderating it such a hard task.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I now put forward the motion that all payment previously handed to the soccer mods now be retracted on the grounds of, erm, attitude.

There's some forums on here that have more skangers in them than the luas on a saturday afternoon - even finglas everyday of the week. and from what i saw of soccer before it got it's massive culling - it was a perfect example.

To be honest it is posters like you on the soccer forum that make moderating it such a hard task.

Link to posts where I have made moderating it hard please?

Also, coming from someone who has had 10 of his soccer posts reported in less than 4 months that is very rich.

Edit: Reading the Liverpool thread and tonights posts show your true nature and general purpose for posting in that thread imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭Charlie

As a Newky fan, I think the new rules make perfect sense, and allow for better interaction with other members of a forum that is all to often heavily segregated.

However, I can see some of the logic behind some of the concerns that were put forward in the discussion thread, and I certainly felt they merited a proper discussion. The response, imo, to some of these concerns were un-necessarily sharp and dismissive. I can appreciate the difficulty of modding the soccer forum, but the underlying master and servant tone to some of the posts, only serves to set a bad example, and makes having a reasoned discussion, of something that is in everyone's interest, increasingly difficult and 'my side v. your side'.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

wtf? That is ridiculous. Dom has never trolled anyone in there or lost his cool. If everyone posted like him in there we would have no problems period.

I say shut the thing down. Boards.ie and the appointed moderators have attempted to provide a football forum that moves beyond the stupidity and illiteracy of every other football forum on the net. Seems such efforts aren't appreciated. So I say close it down and leave us to the forums where "content" =

- Man U r da best man. CHAMPIONS!!
    - No Man U r **** man - Manc scum imo.
    - Shut up you dirty scouser
    - Hey, ur not a reel footie lad unless u support an Irish team like
    - **** you the Eircom league is ****e
    - No it isn't you tosser...

I think you see what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I think when liverpool and united fans have to move to feedback to start taking pot shots at each other, we must be doing something right ;)

I hate, and when I say hate, I only use that word because there is no stronger word that adequately expresses my true feelings, so I say HATE doing soccer access requests.

If I am "creative" in my replies it is because it is the only thing that keeps me sane doing them.

Even the Admins don't want to get rid of S.A.R. (in fact, it is mostly the admins that stopped us before, they don't even like that we got rid of the accountabilibuddy system).

We brought in the two word system because I was regularly going through 30 requests where 5 might have read the charter. Now it tends to be 50-50 but at least we can catch people when we change the words and people are at least stating they will follow the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I think this problem rears it's head in many forums. I don't use the soccer forum, so can't really comment.

But throughout the site, it seems that if a user reacts aggressively to another user, they get banned or warned or whatever.

But mods often, lock a post and say "xyz banned for being an idiot" or "thread closed, now STFU" etc etc.

Someone mentioned that in real life, that kind of thing will get you a dig, and he's right. But it's also simple double standard. And it happens a lot.

There's also an annoying trait of mods being condescending in charters. I rarely read charters, but when I have, I keep seeing things written like "This isn't rocket science, folks", which I find to be doubly dickheadedly :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Have I actually been abusive to anyone in the soccer forum?

I suggested people were acting like children and offered the suggestion that instead of trying to reduce trolling through sforum structure I could just be a hardass and ban people straight out.

Is this really what people are complaining about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

It's unfortunate that your principla co-moderator hasn't come in here to give his side (despite a PM informing him of this thread) because you are getting the brunt of a frustrated backlash and perhaps not entrley fairly.

You mentioned a little while back that you prefer to bark rather than bite. I think that what a few of the posters on here have been saying is that we would prefer more bite and less bark. If someone acts like a muppet just ban them, don't snap or put in snidey comments. Because - like it or not - mods have a position of authority and posters take thier cues on appropriate communication from them*. If Mods are abusive to posters then posters will be abusive to each other. As I said I don't agree with the rules but I could have lived by them. My objection has always been to the style of the implementation.

*Part of my thing is teaching communication, usually in a corporate context. The soccer mods are a classic example of Transactional Analysis. Mods shout at posters as if they were Parents ("Don't do that or else!") which leaves posters with no option other than to react as children ("stop picking on me, he started it!"). Classic examples of why barking is way worse than biting, explanation here for the nerds!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Mods shout at posters as if they were Parents ("Don't do that or else!") which leaves posters with no option other than to react as children ("stop picking on me, he started it!").

:D It also leaves them the option of not breaking the rules again rather than whining.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

All this has been prompted by the 'No match discussions in Superthreads' rule, which is a complete over-reaction. Last season, on a matchday you'd have dual running commentaries in a match thread and superthread. So, if you went onto a superthread late on a saturday you'd have to wade through pages of "GET IN THERE!" etc until you got to the last point worth reading/discussing. It probably seems a bit pedantic now, but the season is less than a week old so it obviously needs a little teething.

I think a bit of perspective is needed. Check the links in Des' signature when the forum was closed. I wasn't around back then, but the place seems a far cry from those days.

Link to posts where I have made moderating it hard please?

Coming on here to have an unrelated go at me and announcing to the world that you would like to put me on ignore, is the type of sniping and bitchyness that is rife in at least one of the superthreads.
    Also, coming from someone who has had 10 of his soccer posts reported in less than 4 months that is very rich.

More time wasting from over sensitive fans who feel if you don't support a certain club you have no right to your opinion.
    Edit: Reading the Liverpool thread and tonights posts show your true nature and general purpose for posting in that thread imo.

Perfect example, 5 users ganging up on me not because of my opinion but who I support.

Certain fans on the forum (not all) are the worst offenders they have a huge chip on their shoulder and take every opportunity to drag discussion down to the level of bickering.
    Jazzy wrote: »
    oooooooohhhhhh... abuse! brilliant!
    think we've cracked boggles now.

calm down calm down.... sure its all OPINIONS isnt it professor? no need to get in a hump. try and forget about it, tomorow is a new day sure and you can have another crack at the tropinions then when we have forgotten about ur little whoopsie

Post above is the perfect example of the muppetry that goes on in the forum from certain fans who think certain forums are exclusively for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I don't care who you support, but if you post on a club superthread with uninformed nonsense, expect a back lash from people who watch the team week in week out.

In fact, expect that on any thread on any forum here on boards, it can get a little tiring when it repeatedly happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This is an absolutely huge post, I wouldn't recommend reading it.

I'm really fed up with this crap, so lets finish the argument once and for all and point out the ludicrousness of the entire ****e thats gone on in the last 3-4 days.

It started off with me enforcing the rules that we posted about 14 July 2008 o. Lots of changes happened, the introduction of a yellow red card system which is working great, restructing of the forum dramatically and general misc stuff (like adding on how soccer users will still get banned if they use the tags to insult each other [I wonder did that happen in any other forum]

Nobody really cared about the rest of the stuff, and the ****e didn't hit the fan until I actively started enforcing the rules in last weekends games.

A bit of background:

We've had lots of discussions over the past year about the possibility of break-away forums, Liverpool only forums, Man Utd only forums, etc. This debate has gone on for a while, and was pretty much resolved against. However we all recognised that there was a problem. The soccer forum is one of the most active forums on boards.ie and we have these things called superthreads. When you have all the discussion about one team in an incredibly popular forum in one thread, it gets huge. Absolutely huge. Liverpool superthread from last season was just below 20000. Uniteds thread was 14000. The Liverpool thread had 500000 views. These aren't even little posts, most of them are indepth tactical discussions and match analysis.

Initially they were created to deal with a problem in soccer, transfer rumours. There are about 50 a day. Random players to random club. Nearly every soccer forum on the internet deals with this by a general transfer rumour thread, which incorporates discussion about possible formations and such in the thread over the summer.
    However our thread expanded more and more and began to incorporate anything. This was fine initially.

However as the forum got bigger and bigger and bigger, it just wasn't working anymore. Especially in relation to matches. You'd have a discussion about a particular player going on for a week, then when a match came, you'd have 200-300 posts on the match, and the discussion would get lost.

There was a slight issue of server load in general, but that wasn't that important.

Then there was a more serious problem of ownership. As everybody knows, football fans are tribalistic. But theres nothing you can do about that. But because there were super threads, the football fans started to think that the thread was their thread, and were very aggressive about anyone posting in it if it was a negative opinion. Countless reported posts later, the mods would come on, and realise the poster hadn't (normally, not always) done anything wrong, and was just expressing an opionion. Of course, by then, it was too late. You'd have 3 pages of flaming and bitching, with no discussion going on, and by the end of it, people did say stuff enough to get banned.

All in all, the superthreads were a hassle. But they served their purpose. They allowed for general transfer chat to work. And it worked great this summer. More posts were made this summer in the threads again. But now the summer is over, and the need for the threads are dying down. The season has started, and the events which matter in the season are matches.

So we decided a very simple structure.
    All match discussion goes into one thread, a new one every week.
    The sueprthread can stay to cover general talk, transfer rumours, squad discussions and such, but the primary place to talk about a match was in the match thread.

Now I'm sure everyone can see there is a grey area here, some stuff overlaps, but we'll get to that. We posted this over a month ago.

When we first posted the new rules there was a discussion. It was very civil. The issues were clarified by the mods.

There was one point of clarification:

Villian said:
    Well if thats the way it is then thats fair enough, but I think you could have made that clearer, the post above should be included in the new rules thread. If the rules are lacking detail to see what works and people won't get banned for posts about matches (not including big incidents) after the matches in super threads thats fair enough, it just the line "NO MATCH DISCUSSION WILL BE TOLERATED IN SUPERTHREADS." is very restrictive and I can see people not knowing what is and what isn't allowed.

To which PSI responded:
    point taken, edited.

It was changed to match incident, to get the idea across.

Then I made a mammoth post in relation to the ideas behind this, the motives, the new rules, and all that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56569794&postcount=108
    PSI here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56571998&postcount=118

Rockman then asked who can start the threads and we explained anyone could.

Then just in case anybody didn't reread the rules, this was posted in the superthreads:
    Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread July 14th 2008

This thread is for team talk, Gossip and Rumours pertaining to Liverpool FC. This thread is open for all users to post in. There are no preferences for fans of any team.

Please note the following Rules:

1. NO MATCH DISCUSSIONS
    - Match threads will be created for matches/match weeks where required.
    - Match discussion will be deleted.

2. Transfers.
    - When a major transfer occurs, please post in the specific thread
    - We will merge/split discussion on requests
    - We will delete transfer discussion that continues here while a tangent thread is in progress.

3. Users who repeatedly ignore these guidelines will receive warnings/bans.

Previous Discussion Thread is located here

It had all been pretty established.

So I started putting this policy into place last weekend.

I moved any posts in the superthreads about the match into the match thread.

There was some more debate, and one key thing was again clarified about being in a match thread.
    That would include all of the following:
    Starting Line Ups
    Predictions
    Match going on discussion (Billy scored, this formation ain't working)
    Post-match analysis

Villian thought that since the word had been changed to incident, that they could talk about the match in both threads, just specific incidents (like a red card) in match threads. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56925303&postcount=136
    This was again clarified by me here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56925348&postcount=138
    Villian didn't really accept this, but it was clarified again and again.

Then we had mayordenis, a mod, adding this helpful comments
    Stupid rule the no match discussion in superthreads, I would like to discuss the game with my fellow pool fans seperately,
    Overcomplicating everything, every single thing.

Which completely ignores the entire point, and is one of the very problems were trying to address.

then he got more upset when I pointed out that we had made this rule very very clear
    ok I give you love having 800 rules for every thread. good job. way to guard the board, top gun.
    you really think you're very smart,
    hows about you read the Title:
    Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

seems like a liverpool match is liverpool team talk.
    Whenever there is discussion of wherether a ball was fully over the touch line for a throw in St. James's Park on the 3rd tuesday of the month only with 3 days of the full moon may you post in your own thread, everything else must be in the new Super Facism Thread.

Those were helpful.

Then we had a multitude of random suggestions and problems, some genuine, some i'll call odd for the moment:

Tusky posts this:
    Can we not have a general match thread for discussion of ALL matches but also allow discussions of matches in the superthreads ?

This stinks of over modding when theres no need. I mean, its ridiculous. Are yea really going to go through each super thread with a fine comb and move all comments about matches to a different thread ?
    Its quite simple folks, let people post anything about Club XYZ in a Club XYZ "super" thread, whether its matches or whatever. They can post match stuff in a match thread if they want and as they so choose. So let the poster choose.

That will give one less thing for the over-stretched mods to look out for. The rule is unpoliceable anyway as talking about Club XYZ without mentioning a match, the last match, is a contradiction in terms, as of course fans will want to talk about the most recent match as it is relevant, etc.

Two issues raised here.

The idea that you should have a duality which I responded to here
    The idea of a duality was discussed, but ultimately it won't solve the problems. People will still post in the superthreads that aren't Liverpool fans. If anything it will encourage the sense of ownership, and I'd wager any amount of money that if we had that system within the next 2 months somebody would say these exact words

The idea that it would be tough is put forward here, to which I responded,
    Well no, I'd imagine after we let it settle in we'll just delete any off topic posts.

redspider furthered his comments here:

oh and had this gem here:
    Btw, the superthread aspect has problems in itself. Boards.ie should really have sub-forums for each of the major clubs as that would allow much more granularity in terms of discussions. There can be inter-club forums as well to discuss all things common. As a busy forum, perhaps that is the sensible way to go.

Implying that indeed discussion in superthreads was difficult. That was funny.

OPENROAD
    Slightly confused, during say, the Arsenal match today, are we allowed to discuss the match/score in the Arsenal thread or must it only be discussed in the match threads i.e. weekend match thead?

Which was clarified by me here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56930172&postcount=168

We had this post which I specifically like from MementoMori
    What is the reason behind the no match discussion in the supertreads rule?

Also what constitutes match discussion as opposed to team discussion?

I can't see the need for this rule and think things would be better served by keeping match discussion in the supertreads as was the case previously.

Considering there had been 4 pages of rule clarifications and reasoning, this was pretty amusing. Still I clarified it for him again.

i think the mods are trying to stop the tribalism.... on a soccer forum....

i think no matter wat they do it is going to happen anyway and the same old problems will arise but just in different threads.
    the problem is the people that cause the issues - not the structure and rules themselves

Which missed the point once again, the issue is about ownership which was pointed out.

Then the response to my big post was this.
    Now, the argument has changed. It's not unmoddable, but the modding will be too strong. Let's make this in terms so that everyone who reads boards can understand. The deleting of off-topic threads will be bad for discussion.

This is when I got actively pissed off.

Here was the logic:
    Deleting off-topic posts is bad for discussion, because it will be deleting posts.

Now to me this idea is one of two things, profoundly stupid or childish. I'd believe the latter.

This was followed up by Villian
    The forum should be to help discussion and encourage people to post these do the opposite IMO

I responded to the obvious point
    Why? Saying the discussion should go in one place does not dis-encourage discussion. It's just saying, go to the proper place.
    That's like saying, saying that posting transfer rumours about Liverpool in the Man United thread is not allowed is dis-encouraging discussion.

redspider retorted
    Deletions of posts, moving of posts, bannings for people, and now pages and pages of discussions about the rules does discourage discussion. With too much red tape, too much hassle, people go elsewhere, simple.

To clarify again, deletion of off-topic posts are bad.

astrofool added this nice post
    PHB, the fact that you've had to go over the rules so many times, has that not indicated to you that they are never ever going to work? Maybe you should try modding the legal forum.

Which I responded
    Maybe its because people can't get simple ideas into their head.

Match discussion in one thread.
    Anything else in another thread.

A 5 year old child could understand that. Oh, you ya know what the most hilarious thing is. Pretty much every single other soccer forum on the internet has a match thread where all the match discussions go!! Jesus christ like.

We also had one final objection about the grey area problem.

I posted this in relation to a United goalie.
    That's a bit over the top. He made a mistake which resulted in a corner. While he's partly to blame for the goal, to drop him is a bit silly, especially since Foster isn't even fit.

It was a post about an ongoing squad discussion that related to the match.
    Wreck and Hobart took up this debate.

Considering we had clarified specifically this exact instance earlier in the thread and explained why it was ok, that was pretty amusing aswell.

Considering we've had all of these great odd suggestions, I decided to leave the thread for a day or two to see if people would be stop talking crap. GuanYin then stepped in and has explained her actions.

Now I accept there was much debate to be had on the subject. And I responded to most of these suggestions that were genuine perfectly happy, but half of the stuff brought up was a load of ****e. It's possible some posts were just really really stupid, or its possible that they were just being childish, I'm not entirely sure.

But I honestly ask anyone on this board who doesn't read soccer to tell me whether or not the distinction between a thread for every match and a general thread for all else is particuarly difficult to understand?

Oh, here are some posts by other users about the stuff made by the people above.
    Why don't ye just discuss the bloody matches in the matches thread instead of coming on here whining about it without even giving it a go FFS.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    seems the people who are against the new rule dont actually take the time to read the reasoning and logic behind it.

Which is bang on the money as seen above
    Jesus lads most of ye complaining havn't even posted in the proper weekend match thread, if you put half as much effort into FOOTBALL discussion as ye do bítchíng there might be a significant improvement allround.

If the soccer forum was a discusion with your mates down the pub and ye acted like this, ye would be left out of the next round.
    SantryRed wrote: »
    This threads a load bollocks. It's changed and get on with it.

Stop moaning:rolleyes:
    and most other forums also suck donkey balls.

i'm happy with the new guidelines. for once i found it easy to keep track of the flow of conversation over the weekend.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    this is bordering on ridiculous.

Oh and to top it all off, we had this great post from redspider.
    I went back into the Liverpool "super" thread to re-read a post I made but I cant find it. It doesnt show up on search! Did some moderator delete it because they deemed it had "match" content? It wasnt moved to a match thread either. Or do moderators keep any track of what they are deleting? Probably not.

If it is the case that the post was deleted, I would like to see the reasons stated explicity (with quotes) of the "offending" material in bold.

I have a feeling that this rule will be no end of enjoyment for 'vendetta-like' and trigger-happy mods who seem to have more time on their hands than common sense.

This forum is turning into a play-pen for juveniles.

Which I found interesting.
    I posted this

Maybe. Or maybe you just couldn't find the post. Considering we have a moderators log, I don't see any posts deleted by yourself.
    Perhaps a post was moved, and if so, perhaps you could tell us , ya know, what the post was about?
    Or you could do a search of your own posts, and tell us which post you are talking about?

Or you just could made snide comments all the time, cause thats helpful ya know.

But wait, I did a search of all your posts. None of them in the soccer forum are outside the Liverpool thread and this thread. And none of them have been deleted. What to do what to do?

All in all, I'm pretty pissed off not only about this feedback thread, but the thread in the soccer forum. I'm pretty sure I coulda banned mayordenis or redspider but I'm pretty lieniant and I have the advantage of never caring what anyone thinks about me.

Either way, I'm happy to stand by saying a 5 year old could understand the distinction. Why? Because I asked my little cousin just for this very post and he said 'So you post match stuff in one place and everything else in the other?'

p.s.
    Also just in relation to mikes post,
    mike65 wrote: »
    GuanYin is the oscarBravo of soccer. Curt replies do not help anyone least of all the moderator.

Mike

This is without a doubt the perfect way to understand soccer.
    mike has 35000 posts. I'd wager he hasn't ever been banned except from soccer.

When the tagging system was implement, us soccer mods didn't like it, because people thought it was anonymous and used it to insult people.
    mike was kind enough to add
    'Ronaldo is a prick'
    to one of the threads.

This is what happens in soccer.

People in glass houses....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Phew, I wasn't mentioned! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement