Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator attitude on the Soccer Forum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mike65 wrote: »
    Boggles is indeed a source of great annoyance/amusment (depending) yet he gets away with it every time.
    In your opinion.

If he was a trolley mess, the mods would have banned him a long time ago.

Once again, over-sensitivity to an opinion that criticises Liverpool.

The lad is allowed his opinions, and in fairness to him, he always backs them up.

Van Zuylen wrote: »
    Sometimes its hard to adhere to that thought, cause some of us are used to our "Rose Tinted websites". I for one though do respect the concept now as you have said everywhere on boards is for everyone to post, its just diffcult sometimes.

Bullcrap, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Des wrote: »
    In your opinion.

If he was a trolley mess, the mods would have banned him a long time ago.

Once again, over-sensitivity to an opinion that criticises Liverpool.

The lad is allowed his opinions, and in fairness to him, he always backs them up.

Bullcrap, imo.
    I am just saying its difficult sometimes but I have come round to the no divides no segregration style the soccer forum has.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Amen to that Des. This 'God given rite' to a thread bollox pisses me off. If I want to say Keane is ****e in the Pool thread then I can and will. If you don't like it then tough.

Van Zuylen wrote: »
    I am just saying its difficult sometimes but I have come round to the no divides no segregration style the soccer forum has.

After six and a half years on Boards.

Well done.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Amen to that Des. This 'God given rite' to a thread bollox pisses me off. If I want to say Keane is ****e in the Pool thread then I can and will. If you don't like it then tough.
    I really can't wait until he plays for Oireland, tomorrow is it?

I hope he has a brutal game.

Watch the Liverpool fans kick off once he starts getting the criticism, it'll be hilarious.

• Advertisement

After six and a half years on Boards.

Well done.
    Why thanks Des, I am slow in my ways ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You'd get banned for abuse or some such nonsense possibly, no?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Isn't personally insulting a player against the charter for a start? And why do that? What does it gain? You insult a player and the followers of that team rise to teh bait. Now what? What's been achieved? Well done, you've proved you can cause a train wreck.

If you did go in there with a "keane is a W*****" post you'd be slaughtered. But if I went to the MUFC thread with a "Rio is a W*****" post I'd be slaughtered in there to, likewise if I took an unsubstantiated pop at any player in thier teams thread. But any number of players get stick in the LFC thread every day (there was a debate about Alonso and Voronin the other day for example) and it didn't go mental because it wasn't slagging for teh sake of slagging, it was an exchange of different opinions. So if you want to come in and say Keane won't work for LFC because... then I'm sure no-one would have a problem with that. But not if you're just coming in o be controversial.

The LFC thread is very touchy but there are people who post in there on a daily basis for - seemingly - no other reason than to get a rise out of people, but always carefully skirting on the right side of the rules. I'm sure those people (yes Boggles, I'm talking about you) get a great deal of pleasure out of it. I think it's fairly tragic and a little bit needy but whatever floats your boat. Again I suppose it's not about ownership as such it's about having a bit of cop on and appreciation for your audience / readership - if you post on a teams thread it stands to reason that the majority of readers will be fans of taht team so you my need to phrase what you say differently to suit that. Not a difficult concept and nothing to do with territory or ownership.

Liverpool fans DO NOT OWN the Liverpool thread.

Why can they not accept that?

It is clearly in the rules, Boards.ie and any threads thereon are open to ANYBODY to post on.

If a person has access to the soccer forum, they have access to all threads.

No one group has, or should expect, special exclusive access rights

If people WANT that, then there are a crapload of rose-tinted fansites where you can go and have cozy love ins.

Boards isn't that place. No matter how hard people cry about it.

And, it never should be.

Always to the defense post eh Des. I was simply pointing out that it's generally a Liverpool's fans thread through the spine but it does welcome posters from any other club as does any other thread in the soccer forum. I myself am never argumental to criticism within the thread about how Liverpool is run within the thread by other fans but I feel people like Boogles do act the bollix on purpose and it does get to other users so why keep a negative thing?

Watch the Liverpool fans kick off once he starts getting the criticism, it'll be hilarious.

I don't rate Keane myself and was very suprised by the signing. I was the one that not so long ago made a thread to suggest Dunne should get the Ireland captaincy. Funny though that an Irish person with Ole Ole Ole in his sig would wish any Irish player a brutal game, well done chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I don't rate Keane myself and was very suprised by the signing. I was the one that not so long ago made a thread to suggest Dunne should get the Ireland captaincy. Funny though that an Irish person with Ole Ole Ole in his sig would wish any Irish player a brutal game, well done chap.

Isn't there a forum somewhere specially for yer football talk? :D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

smashey wrote: »
    The soccer forum is a different beast altogether in that it is busy every day of the year and tribalism is rampant. In GAA, the majority of trolling/flaming is directed at Dublin.

In fairness, I was responding to a point that the soccer forum is almost unique in bringing the worst out in people.

The real difference between the soccer and GAA forum sin that regard is that soccer has more conflict points. Once the conflict points exist, some posters' behaviour gets worse, regardless of the forum or subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

As a liverpool fan, I've said it before and I'll say it again, we should start charging Boggles for the entertainment value he gets from some of the reactions of regular Liverpool posters.

Edit: And some of the precious reactions from liverpool fans in there to non liverpool posters are embarrassing. But i dissagree that liverpool fans are the only ones up in arms about the new rules

Conflict then on a messageboard gets so much worse, as there is no commaraderie in the forum amongst rival fans. In real life ;), you have friends who are United, Arsenal, and Pool fans etc, you can laugh/joke and rip the living piss outta each other. All without boxing the jaw off each other, here its a completely different kettle of fish, as everything rumbles and rumbles along, situations are so much aggravated cause its the Internet.

I think in some ways if everyone had this more friendly approach to each other in the footie forum there be alot less incidents. I know I speak as some one who has bitched and moaned previously about other rivals in the soccer forum, but I know I have been willing to change.

I also believe the off topic thread is great to promote the community between rival supporters, the more friendly fans in the forum become with each the more easy it is to realise they are only having a bit of banter and fun. For this I think the off topic thread should be promoted more in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

RE: the team threads, the Villa thread was going along nicely until a particular Pool fan started talking **** there every single day, so much that most of the regular posters in that thread put him on ignore (not me though i think he's harmless).

The team threads arent for Fans only but whoever does post in them, particularly people who are long established in Soccer, ought to know what exactly to say and what not to say unless they are just looking for a reaction from those that post there regularly. Between the Villa & Barry threads it gets tiresome being reminded from some how big Villa really are and how much bigger LFC are, its trolling when thats all people have to say on the matter (its a bit annoying though when a Liverpool supporting mod pulls that 'argument' out on a regular basis and bans people because they insult his club:rolleyes:).

As for Guanyin, im one of the troublesome posters she no doubt despises, im currently serving a 2 week ban for saying **** liam gallagher? in my dealings with her and witnessing her in action its pretty clear she does things very by the book but really i question should she be modding the forum when its clear from her post in Van Zuylens thread yesterday how frustrating she obviously finds the whole modding the soccer forum thing.

And as for splitting up the threads into Team & match day ones, there was nothing wrong with old system, it appears to be change for the sake of change. the old Villa thread ticked along nicely, there isnt a need for seperate match day threads. its like being at a game, id rather comment on the game in a thread with my fellow Villa fans rather then having everyone all in the same thread, and then i'd like to talk about that game and its repercussions for the club all in the same thread, it seems the new rules were designed by people who dont follow football.

Go ahead rip my post to pieces in a sarky smart ass manner with lolcats.

Funny though that an Irish person with Ole Ole Ole in his sig would wish any Irish player a brutal game, well done chap.

I don't support the Oirish football team.

My reasons are well documented in the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Isn't personally insulting a player against the charter for a start? And why do that? What does it gain? You insult a player and the followers of that team rise to teh bait. Now what? What's been achieved? Well done, you've proved you can cause a train wreck.

If you did go in there with a "keane is a W*****" post you'd be slaughtered. But if I went to the MUFC thread with a "Rio is a W*****" post I'd be slaughtered in there to, likewise if I took an unsubstantiated pop at any player in thier teams thread. But any number of players get stick in the LFC thread every day (there was a debate about Alonso and Voronin the other day for example) and it didn't go mental because it wasn't slagging for teh sake of slagging, it was an exchange of different opinions. So if you want to come in and say Keane won't work for LFC because... then I'm sure no-one would have a problem with that. But not if you're just coming in o be controversial.

The LFC thread is very touchy but there are people who post in there on a daily basis for - seemingly - no other reason than to get a rise out of people, but always carefully skirting on the right side of the rules. I'm sure those people (yes Boggles, I'm talking about you) get a great deal of pleasure out of it. I think it's fairly tragic and a little bit needy but whatever floats your boat. Again I suppose it's not about ownership as such it's about having a bit of cop on and appreciation for your audience / readership - if you post on a teams thread it stands to reason that the majority of readers will be fans of taht team so you my need to phrase what you say differently to suit that. Not a difficult concept and nothing to do with territory or ownership.
    Read my post again. I never personally insulted Keane, I insulted his ability as a footballer. Not against any charter rule and not personal abuse. It's an opinion that can be backed to the hilt with examples but of course the Pool fans will take it to heart. Herein lies the problem with touchyness in the super threads. If I called him a wanker (a term I used to describe the other Keane and was banned for) then fair enough but there is no problem with saying someone is a **** footballer, is overrated, can't tackle etc. Some people need to learn the difference to prevent the over use of the term 'troll'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

How many of these soccer related feedback threads do we have to endure?

I say shut down the whole shagging soccer forum for good.

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    How many of these soccer related feedback threads do we have to endure?

I say shut down the whole shagging soccer forum for good.

Well, if people like you, who haven't got a bleedin' clue about what's going on kept their noses out of something that doesn't concern them, then maybe the threads wouldn't be so long.

And the pure ignorant irony of you posting in the thread at all, by the way.

Well, if people like you, who haven't got a bleedin' clue about what's going on kept their noses out of something that doesn't concern them, then maybe the threads wouldn't be so long.

Stick it to tha Man Des!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

And posts like this are an example of how people should post in the soccer forum is it?

I personally don't care one iota more how keane prefers for ireland now compared to 6 months ago, but I do care if he gets injured now.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    And posts like this are an example of how people should post in the soccer forum is it?
    Er...what?

I wasn't asked to give an example of a model Soccer post. :confused:

And, this isn't the soccer forum either.
    I personally don't care one iota more how keane prefers for ireland now compared to 6 months ago, but I do care if he gets injured now.

Good for you.

Interesting that you mention irony when you obviously don't have the slightest clue when to recognize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Jesus where did my lunch hour go?

I wasn't going to reply at all but since PHB included in his wopper post (fair play for taking the time to post that) I just wanted to add quick 2 cents.

When the rules were announced I was posting with GuanYin in the rules thread and as PHB showed she took on board my Interpretation that the rules were a bit strict in relation to discussing matchs in super threads. I took her change to mean one thing PHB took it to mean another thing I was simply asking for clarification and pointing out what I though GuanYin meant when she changed the rule but PHB said I was wrong.

Tbh I don't know exactly what is and isn't allowed but I said that the mods made a decision and have stated they will revisit the rules if needs be, so we all need to just accept that and move along.

GuanYin sorry if I misinterpreted you.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Er...what?

I wasn't asked to give an example of a model Soccer post. :confused:

And, this isn't the soccer forum either.

Thanks for clearing up where I am posting.

Posting something here saying you hope something happens because it would anger a load of liverpool fans is just petty and crass tbh and certainly makes your posts calling for people to grow up seem somewhat ironic in light of this post and the one where you say people that disagree with this particular rule being discussed either has an agenda or is an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

GuanYin, to answer your question: this is why I haven't requested access... :pac:

You misinterpret my intention.

I hope Keane has a brutal game, yes.

But the reasoning behind that is not so Liverpool fans get upset, but they inevitably will when people start having a pop at him.

With certain elements in the Liverpool support here on Boards.ie, everything Liverpool related is precious, and cannot be criticised, this will be a further example of it.

I hope Keane has a brutal game, I hope people point it out, and I hope Liverpool fans start to get upset at people for pointing it out, because the only reason they will have for getting upset is that Keane now plays for Liverpool. And he is precious to them now. And woe betide anyone who criticises a Liverpool player.

Posting something here saying you hope something happens because it would anger a load of liverpool fans is just petty and crass tbh and certainly makes your posts calling for people to grow up seem somewhat ironic in light of this post and the one where you say people that disagree with this particular rule being discussed either has an agenda or is an idiot.

+1

The guy doesn't have the slightest clue what the word ironic means ... see my post above.

He'll probably run off now and look it up in a dictionary and quote it back to me ... but his posts are clueless and full of double standards and contradictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Interesting that you mention irony when you obviously don't have the slightest clue when to recognize it.

Zing!

+1

The guy doesn't have the slightest clue what the word ironic means ... see my post above.

He'll probably run off now and look it up in a dictionary and quote it back to me ...
    Good man.
    but his posts are clueless and full of double standards and contradictions.

Go on then, show me where, or else stfu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Thunderdome is over there->

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement