Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator attitude on the Soccer Forum

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv been meaning to reply here since I saw the thread, as I felt I could understand the reason for the reaction from the mod and the mods in general, but iv found little time to gather thoughts and comment (as I have wanted to). I'm not a huge soccer fan myself, but I post the odd bit on that forum or have a gawk when something that interests me might be posted or be discussed. I'm mainly commenting as an outsider, who gawks more then posts. I'm giving an opinion purley based on that, for what its worth.

The soccer forum is, understandably, one of the busiest and hardest forums to mod. Its got a huge amount of members and in life: you cant keep everyone happy. I think the mods in the forum have done an excellent job in keeping a lively and friendly conversation cutting out the nonsense that leads to wars between fans.

GuanYin has a hard job moding that forum. I do feel that her general attitude isnt the best, and funnily enough I agree with Mike's post. I can understand a bad attitude might be needed to cut the crap in such a busy forum and well this doesnt please people but it might really be the only way to deal with people. Give them an inch and they take a mile and all that. I would not like her to resign as mod, or be removed as mod as I think she does a fantastic job in the forum.

<snip - Comment removed on own accord out of respect (I dont think it was a right thing to post) for GuanYin and for it being more off topic then on.>

Iv read the reply now from PHB, and the overall thread. I can see where the OP is coming from, but the furstration PHB talks about can cause such a reaction. As said in this thread already, most of the soccer forum seem happy with how things have been running and little complaints seem to be flowing about the place. It seems feedback is being taken aboard and the place is clearly a lot better then the old days.

Being honest, the above probably ads nothing. I dont post there really, just have a small interest in Soccer so have a tendency to look. Just thought id give my 2c, for what its worth. *steps away!*

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Des wrote: »
    You misinterpret my intention.

I hope Keane has a brutal game, yes.

But the reasoning behind that is not so Liverpool fans get upset, but they inevitably will when people start having a pop at him.

With certain elements in the Liverpool support here on Boards.ie, everything Liverpool related is precious, and cannot be criticised, this will be a further example of it.

I hope Keane has a brutal game, I hope people point it out, and I hope Liverpool fans start to get upset at people for pointing it out, because the only reason they will have for getting upset is that Keane now plays for Liverpool. And he is precious to them now. And woe betide anyone who criticises a Liverpool player.

Perconceived Notion Comformation it is then. I don't know why you would get satisfaction from that but there you go.

As for the oversensitiveness thing, there is no doubt that some could take a breath before answering at times alright, but nearly every post of boggles for example has an element of needle in it, and he cannot back up his points all the time either, an example being the Arbeloa/Riise/Messi thing last night where he refused to admit he was wrong at any point in the thread, deciding to split hairs and be pedantic over unimportant bits instead. There are posts from non liverpool fans in there that I agree with quite often, some of PHB's for example, but much like pighead irks some people when some others can't see why, it is a drip drip effect that builds up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I made a flippant post about closing down the soccer forum which was obviously misinterpreted.

Apologies to all who thought I actually meant that remark. Apologies also to those who believe I possess the power and abilities to actually shut down the soccer forum.

Yay soccer forum!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Sully wrote: »
    Iv been meaning to reply here, but iv found little time to gather thoughts and comment (as I have wanted to). I'm not a huge soccer fan myself, but I post the odd bit on that forum or have a gawk when something that interests me might be posted or be discussed.

The soccer forum is, understandably, one of the busiest and hardest forums to mod. Its got a huge amount of members and in life: you cant keep everyone happy. I think the mods in the forum have done an excellent job in keeping a lively and friendly conversation cutting out the nonsense that leads to wars between fans.

GuanYin has a hard job moding that forum. I do feel that her general attitude isnt the best, and funnily enough I agree with Mike's post. I can understand a bad attitude might be needed to cut the crap in such a busy forum and well this doesnt please people but it might really be the only way to deal with people. Give them an inch and they take a mile and all that. I would not like her to resign as mod, or be removed as mod as I think she does a fantastic job in the forum.

Overall though, and I do mean this in the nicest way possible GuanYin, your attitude is questionable. Your attitude in Soccer forum seems to follow you most places. It doesnt do you much favours and while you might not care if people like/dislike you - I think you should. I very rarley see any friendly or helpful reply from you. If its anything to do with Soccer, its like a red rag to bull.

Being a bitch (excuse my language) might be needed in the mod forum but its not needed in Feedback and other places where people mean no harm and are just trying to make a point in a friendly, civil and calm fashion. I don't mean to offend or upset, and people might say its ironic coming from me etc. but I do my damn best to try be nice outside of an area where people deserve to be treated liked idiots for acting like one.
    From your posts in the past few days, I can really see that your a top mod. and good natured person, just whats need for a mod! Sorry for the OT arse licking ;)

Sometimes I think people forget the purpose of the feedback forum as Sully says.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mr. X wrote: »
    From your posts in the past few days, I can really see that your a top mod. and good natured person, just whats need for a mod! Sorry for the OT arse licking ;)

Sometimes I think people forget the purpose of the feedback forum as Sully says.

Well, I try but probably not very sucesfully. Say that in the Waterford forum and they would disagree ;)

I have respect GuanYin and think she is a top mod regardless of what people say. Its a tough forum to mod and tough forums can get people down.

<snip - as per first post>

• Advertisement

Well, I try but probably not very sucesfully. Say that in the Waterford forum and they would disagree ;)

I have respect GuanYin and think she is a top mod regardless of what people say. Its a tough forum to mod and tough forums can get people down. I just think that the attitude followers her around and I for one would like if she could try drop it outside where its not required.

Espically in the Feedback Forum where people complain that they cant come here without being torn apart. Its improved a LOT but still some people mods included need to show a bit more respect when posting here.
    But as GuanYin says herself she rather Bark than bite.

I think most strangely would rather be biten or banned ;)

Mr. X wrote: »
    But as GuanYin says herself she rather Bark than bite.

I think most strangely would rather be biten or banned ;)

She has the right approach to moderating such a forum, and its probably the only approach that's gonna work. Unfortunately, people will criticize her for it and disagree completely thinking she should be more friendly and professional. That doesn't always work im afraid :/

She has the right approach to moderating such a forum, and its probably the only approach that's gonna work. Unfortunately, people will criticize her for it and disagree completely thinking she should be more friendly and professional. That doesn't always work im afraid :/
    Oh ya she does a bang up job no doubt, anyways this aint a slate GuanYin thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,703 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I <3 GuanYin

But anyway, a lot of problems in soccer come from people expressing an opinion in a way thats not designed to promote discussion of said opinion, but rather to provoke reaction.

Its the same in real life, if you go shouting a strong opinion crassly, people will respond in kind, but if you bring up an opinion in a level voice and tone backing it up with your reasons, people will hear you out and actually be open to it.

I think the mods we have at the moment are doing a good job, and the above is very hard to deal with as its tough to draw a line between whats being discussion building and whats being inflammatory when both are backed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

5starpool wrote: »
    As for the idea of a liverpool fans organised backlash, lol, conspiracy forum is thataway
    >
    javaboy wrote: »
    Thunderdome is over there->

Wonder what other forums lie out that direction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'll just go right ahead and ask what we are all wondering - is GuanYin hot? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »

Hi Mike,

to make a picture just appear (as if by magic if you will):

1) Click the post reply button
    2) In array of options icons above the text box eight from the right on the bottom row, you will see a little box with what looks like a mountain with a sun in the top right hand corner
    3) Click it
    4) Now enter the full link of the jpg image you want to use
    5) You can now enter further comments or just finish your post.

The result will be as follows:

picard-headesk.jpg

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Wonder what other forums lie out that direction?

Thunderdome --->
    Conspiracy Theories --->
    Politics --->
    <--- Everything Beyoncé owns in a box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well she said on the Know Your Lookalikes thread in After Hours that she gets told she looks like Bic Runga:

download.blog?fhandle=YmxvZzEwMzZAZnMyLnRpc3RvcnkuY29tOi9hdHRhY2gvMi8yNDYuanBn

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Or is she a she for that matter.

Sherifu wrote: »

Valid question surely? Come on GuanYin - answering these questions has to be much more fun than responding to (unfounded imo) accusations that you are a tad on the irritable side!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I don't get the pop-culture reference but thanks.
    Sherifu wrote: »
    Valid question surely? Come on GuanYin - answering these questions has to be much more fun than responding to (unfounded imo) accusations that you are a tad on the irritable side!!

It's the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

but nearly every post of boggles for example has an element of needle in it,

Examples or STFU.

In the thread where you frequent most by your own admission, everyone that is not a Liverpool supporter is treated with suspicion especially a handsome Man United supporter like myself. :)

In all honesty the level of paranoia and sensitivity in the Liverpool thread is unparalleled with any other thread on the whole of boards, I have been ganged up on, bullied, name called, laughed at, pm'd some awful shíté, yet I have never put anyone on ignore or reported a single post. Why? Because it is the fúckíng internet!!

Earthhorse wrote: »
    It's the same thing.

:pac: I hope you're not implying that all females are a tad irritable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think that's her ex's stuff.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Boggles wrote: »
    Examples or STFU.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55815644#post55815644

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55923023#post55923023

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56156088&postcount=1026

Just to name a few. These are examples of you doing the whole 'Who, me?' routine you have, not posts that I am saying you should be banned for.

Just to name a few. These are examples of you doing the whole 'Who, me?' routine you have, not posts that I am saying you should be banned for.
    Lads Lads Lads( and wimmins ;) ) where are we now going with this. This is what I feared when I started my thread Monday, firstly a huge backlash, followed by more arguments, lots of OT threads, hot pics of GuanYin, finally petty rows and squabbles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Dudess wrote: »
    GuanYin, to answer your question: this is why I haven't requested access... :pac:

Do you think we would let any thread go like this in soccer?

From what I can tell, this is the way the soccer forum was back in the day.

GuanYin wrote: »

GuanYin, I'm just having a bit of fun with this thread as I think it has gone beyond it's sell by date at this stage in terms of usefulness. I didn't mean any offense - and I mean it when I say that yourself, PHB, PSI and everyone else who has modded the soccer forum during my time here have done an excellent job. Modding any forum seems to be a difficult and thankless task so no wonder you guys have been a little terse when answering the same questions the 10th time over.

Let's give the new rules a whirl and revisit discussion in a few months.

GuanYin, I'm just having a bit of fun with this thread as I think it has gone beyond it's sell by date at this stage in terms of usefulness. I didn't mean any offense - and I mean it when I say that yourself, PHB, PSI and everyone else who has modded the soccer forum during my time here have done an excellent job.

:D That PSI one wasn't a patch on GuanYin.

GuanYin wrote: »

To be fair, the thread title is about moderator attitudes on the soccer forum. I think most people have been civil in their feedback whether its about your attitude or another mods attitude. Thats the heart of the discussion (at least, I thought).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

WTF?

Nevermind.

I think the OP has aired his opinion significantly and the answer he was looking for was in his first sentance.
    I'm being over-sensitive...

Everyone back to the football forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I have just read this whole thread in one go....my eyes hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

To be fair, the thread title is about moderator attitudes on the soccer forum. I think most people have been civil in their feedback whether its about your attitude or another mods attitude. Thats the heart of the discussion (at least, I thought).

I was talking about people bitching at each other about football.

In any case, you didn't seem too bothered yourself about the thread title because you took the opportunity to discuss in detail my attitude outside of the soccer forum which has nothing to do with my attitude in soccer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement