Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Puma - Replacing Broken Locks

Options
  • 19-08-2008 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi All...

I'm hoping somewhere out there can help... my girlfriend's 99 puma is having trouble with both it's driver door lock and boot lock.

Driver Door - will only unlock doors 1 time out of 5, generally she has to open door from the passenger side.

Boot Lock/Release - key won't even turn in the barrel and pressing in the button on the boot does nothing. We haven't been able to open the boot in ages and I'm just waiting for the day she get a puncture and then it's really going to fun trying to get the spare out :D

Remote locking hasn't worked in about a year and to honest we've given up on that, we just want to get the old fashioned method of the opening the door and boot opening with the key working again.

I've seen replacement lock kits on Ebay very cheaply. Apparently they can supply a lock for the passenger door programmed to the original key if I send them the spare?

Boot locks are also readily available but will have to have its own key, but don't think this is issue as it should lock with the central locking?

So my question is do I only need to get these replacement locks or should I be worred about other parts, solenoids etc? If I'm looking for parts is there any Fiesta parts that work?

Anyone had any experience of this? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Peter
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Ford dealers can supply complete sets of lock barrels including the ignition lock, but they are expensive. Are you sure it isn't just they key? The car should have come with a master key (usually with a red pad). If you have one and it works OK, then the dealer will be able to supply new keys given the chassis number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

The barrels aren't that expensive - under €60 if I can remember correctly. (That's not fitted though)

Make sure the key isn't the culprit - when they wear, they are not making full contact with the discs in the barrel and won't open the lock. If she has another key, try that.

Also, try liberal amounts of wd40 into the lock to free up any sticking parts.

N.B. - the door locks aren't coded, and the main dealer should not need the master key to program in a new key - they just need at least 2 keys to be programmed in at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Bet it is the key. Get a new one cut, a main dealer will probably be as cheap, or even cheaper than a locksmith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

If it is just a bad key, you should be able to get a new one made pretty easily. We use a VIN number in the states, which stands for Vehicle Identification Number and is located in several places throughout the car (most obviously on a plate on the dash), if you bring them the VIN number they can make a new key for you.

I had similar problems with an ignition once, but after getting a new key made, it still messed up, so I was forced to replace the ignition switch. It would have cost me several hundred more if I had got a matching ignition switch, so I was forced to use two keys, one to start and one for the door, from that point on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

ford keys are famous for wearing out - last time i checked they were about 90 euro from a dealer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 emagination

Thanks for the advice... I'm going to fish out the spare key tomorrow and see how it goes...

I have a feeling that it is the barrel though, as the passenger door opens reliably every time with the key.

The boot lock is definitley stuffed as the key won't even turn in it, but I will take Captain Slow's advice and fill it with WD40.

Cheers... I let you know how I get on...

Thanks for all the replies to date!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 emagination

Just an update on this one...

Drivers door lock is definetely shagged, it will lock every time but will not unlock. Got into the boot and took all the panels off and got access to the boot, key is not turning barrel to pull the release cable, so again I think this is a dead end.

I've ordered a full set of replacement locks and going to get a mechanic friend to fit.

Thanks for your advice to date.

Cheers...

Advertisement