Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids and Shopping

Options
  • 19-08-2008 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

I'm coming to the end of my tether with the 3yr old and shopping, I've been refusing defeat and continue to try and bring her when im shopping but more often than not half the time is spent with her screaming. Is there any others out there where you cant bring the kids shopping??? Tell me Im not alone, I nearly started drinking at 2pm today :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Redpunto wrote: »
    I'm coming to the end of my tether with the 3yr old and shopping, I've been refusing defeat and continue to try and bring her when im shopping but more often than not half the time is spent with her screaming. Is there any others out there where you cant bring the kids shopping??? Tell me Im not alone, I nearly started drinking at 2pm today :)

Give them a task. Tell them they have to find the coco pops, etc. Stick them in the trolley and ask them to stack the shopping, you might only get half what you need but it will be worth it

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You are not alone. Ive shopped at 2am just so I dont have to bring my kids with me.

It is a total nightmare especially when others (who probably have no kids) tut tut that you cannot control your kids.

Allowing ONE treat usually works to keep em quiet, but youll find the treat itself gets swapped for something else maybe a dozen times before you get to the till.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Most shopping centres have drop-in creches which cost e5 per hour - i found them a lifesaver when my son was younger. Worth every penny so you can get your shopping done hassle-free.
    Oryx wrote: »
    It is a total nightmare especially when others (who probably have no kids) tut tut that you cannot control your kids.
    :mad: Ooh, these people make me mad! My brother was one of them until he had kids of his own ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Thanks for all the replies. In all honestly I dont really give a toots bout other people just my own sanity! Shes starting playschool tomorrow so ill be pining for the days shes screaming at my legs in the shops :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Ah redpunto, My little fella is gas in the shops.. I leave him in the trolley.. Its fine if you dont mind your groceries being trashed.We start at the grocerys, fruit and veg aisle is first so he usually mills a load of grapes or strawberries. I can usually keep him happy by just fling him full of food the whole way round, I make sure to go shopping around lunch time.. Then he is full by the time we get to the magazine aisle... I throw a mag in and that will keep him quiet for the rest of the time.

I think the trick is toknow what you want and get in and out as quick as you can!!

Also good look with the playschool!! My little fella started last month, a few tears at the start but he is flying in now.. I got some great advice from a thread here.:) Link

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I have a little one who's nearly 5 and I'll tell you I was at the drinking stage too after a shopping trip. She was unbelievable up to recently. Running off, screaming for toys/sweets/McDonalds etc. There was no getting through to her. She is/was absolutely wilful and as strong as an ox. I don't know how her arms aren't 4 feet long with the way I had to drag her around! Anyway my solution was not to bring her. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Quality I did the exact same as you workes like a charm:)

One thing I did when they were about 3 was to pretend to lose them and watch from a safe place for few mins just until the panic sets in then let them find you- Sounds bad but what I used to say is if you get lost i wont look for you youll have to find me never had a problem with them running off since !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Shopping is the biggest pain in the a$$ ever!

We have tried 4 scenarios, none of which are ideal:

1 - Mummy goes during the week with family in tow
    Result: mummy loses mind

2 - Mummy goes in the evening when kids are in bed
    Result: mummy's precious evening quiet time is gone

3 - Daddy goes with a subset of the kids at the weekend
    Result: mummy spends two hours compiling an exhuastive list and only gets half of what was needed plus a lot of junk that's not needed

4 - Mummy goes at weekend with no kids
    Result: whole weekend is hijacked by shopping having to get done

How do others do it? It takes so much time! I have to laugh at the "shop around" response to increasing prices etc. Whoever suggests this obviously doesn't have kids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is a pain but it gets easier as they get older, my two help me compile the list
    and from the time they were old enough to start reading or play memory games we would play them around the store but yes you soo have to be in the right mood other wise it can be a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 wada

Leave them with your husband and go at 8am on saturday morning then you will still have the whole weekend and no screaming kids. thats what i do. think teh 8 year old is worse its i want this i want that. the 3 year old is happy as long as his munching something from every aisle. the 18 month old just thinks its a great ride but cant stop for a second or its sceam scream scream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

If its grocery shopping why don't you just do it on line? My sister (who has 3 kids) changed to this method and says it saved her life.........and possibly that of her oldest daughter too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

And f you have to bring them it doesnt get easier as they get older,it gets worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

kizzyr wrote: »
    If its grocery shopping why don't you just do it on line?

Because Dunnes won't deliver fresh or frozen food, so basically it's useless, and the Tesco around here is filthy and out of stock of half the things you need at all times.

Wada, your idea is good, will file it away for a couple of years :) shopping is a breeze with a 5mth old!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

ninja900 wrote: »
    Because Dunnes won't deliver fresh or frozen food, so basically it's useless, and the Tesco around here is filthy and out of stock of half the things you need at all times.

The tesco nearest us isn't the best either...BUT...the tesco online shopping comes from a different store which is much better. Check which tesco delivers in your area...it is probably not the nearest one to you at all so this may not be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

my three year old was like this too but i got him helping with the shopping told him what to pick up and to put it in the trolly, was constantly telling him what to pick up and praise him even if that ment i had to take some stuff out lol. But he calmed down and knew at the end if he was a good boy he got stickers and was allowed to buy one thing for himself. I think she is probably board outa her brain but yes you are not alone and we have all got our vices (mine is smoking ... im trying to give up now but sometimes, ouh i swear). Hoping this might help a little
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Thanks guys, im not alone! She has to start wearing a navy tracksuit to playschool from Septmber so I thought shed love if we went to shops after playschool to get it, when i tried to put on a polo shirt to see if it fitted she screamed the place down and siad it wasnt pretty. God knows how ill get her into it come September!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thanks guys, im not alone! She has to start wearing a navy tracksuit to playschool from Septmber so I thought shed love if we went to shops after playschool to get it, when i tried to put on a polo shirt to see if it fitted she screamed the place down and siad it wasnt pretty. God knows how ill get her into it come September!
    My youngest did that with a pair of shoes, cos they weren't pink. Shes two, so god help me as she gets older. But anyhow, I bought em and once we got home they were the most wonderful shoes ever and she showed them off to everyone. So maybe your girl will decide dressing for school is dead important and big and be ok wearing her shirt. :)

Advertisement