Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drama (as a subject!)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Corbmac

Drama should be made into a Leaving Cert subject.
    It should be 40% performance and 60% theory, there is just so much to cover!
    It would be interesting to learn the theatre of Brecht, Phelan etc...

And then students could use a dramatic theory (such as Brechtian theatre) and act a scene in that manner.

I am studying drama in UCD and I feel that there is great potential for the dramatic arts in the Leaving Cert. It can range from ancient Greek theatre to contemporary theatre and also discuss dance, performance, comedy, concerts etc.

Ireland is too far behind in performance art and this would transform the theatre industry in Ireland today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

If drama was to be put in as a subject though there would be other groups lobbying for other subjects to be brought in. Let's face it, not everyone is talented at acting. If you bring in drama what's to say you shouldn't bring in Sport as a subject. It would be studied in the same way; looking at different ways of training/preparing/sports psychololgy. And then you would be examined on the practical side too. If you implement a drama course you would unquestionably face many other groups looking for more subjects. And I would presume that drama doesn't appeal to as many people as Music, Art or Sport. You can't bring in practical subjects that appeal to a minority as it would be seen as giving an advantage to students with previous training. The last part of this is just speculation based on the other L.C students I know. I know very few people who have any interest in drama when compared with Music/Art/Sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I think it would be destroyed by dossers if it had any practical element and tbh, just going on the people I know who do drama outside of school and have reached quite a high level (theres some kind of grading system) they are honestly not that good and I think they're setting themselves ups for failure if they intend to pursue it long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The real benefit of Drama in the LC curriculum would be the confidence it gives people in presenting themselves publicly and generally tbh. Very few would be likely to pursue it as a career, and would need far more than LC to do so anyway.
    Fad wrote: »
    If a decent syllabus was introduced(meaning NO Shakespeare!) ...
    /weeps
    Fad wrote: »
    My problem is, that the language used in Shakespearean plays is so different to English that we use today, thus i personally dont understand the point of studying them. Anyway that's besides the point.
    The language becomes much more accessible if taken out of the dry text and actually spoke aloud / acted out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

But having said that, do you really think the people who already have a problem presenting themselves publicly would willingly take up a drama class? It would only really attract people with an existing stage background and people looking for a soft class who would most likely do nothing in the class anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    But having said that, do you really think the people who already have a problem presenting themselves publicly would willingly take up a drama class?
    I don't think it would be down to just the experienced and the dossers, I think some others would be glad of the opportunity who wouldn't have the financial resources or the confidence to enlist for drama classes or volunteer for a drama group outside school. But I do think you raise a valid question nevertheless re: those who are particularly shy and might not have the confidence to enlist in school either.

I suppose it would be down to good teachers to an extent. I would assume that if drama were ever offered at LC (and I don't see much likelihood in the short- to medium-term) that it would be incorporated in junior cycle to some extent as well, even if as part of English or perhaps PE rather than as an exam subject, and that's where early encouragement and support would be crucial.

In the school I went to, drama was seen as a very important part of the (extra)curriculum ... as was debating and public speaking and music and sports, and they made a real effort to include everyone. Often that meant that the very shy people who baulked at being involved on stage were encouraged to start off helping with the stage management, or with backdrops / sets if they had any touch of talent for art, or something like that. The next step might be to ask them to read a small part at a rehearsal if someone was missing, and then, maybe, a small walk-on part in a crowd scene, and so on. It didn't always work, but it often did, and I've seen several painfully shy first years blossom into filling major parts proudly, confidently and well by fifth year.

Unfortunately, one of the problems with the ever more frenetic points race is that more and more schools don't see this type of education as relevant any more, or worth putting the effort into as an extra-curricular activity. And / or the parents / students see it as a waste of time, and the parents are ringing up to know why the school is wasting their kids' time, and wouldn't they be better putting on extra maths grinds if they have spare time / resources. And finally, in recent years there are more and more pressure on schools and teachers due to cutbacks, and many don't see why they should volunteer to do extra on top of that in extra-curricular stuff when as I said they are likely to be told by parents that they're wasting the kids' time anyway.

Hence the vicious cycle continues, and our schools are forced to become more and more like grindschools rather than actual educational establishments.

Advertisement