Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

switch from Magnet to Imagine

Options
  • 19-08-2008 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello everybody,
    I am new to this forum and i really need your help.

After a year and a half of first class broadband with Magnet i had to move out of Cork City and in the place where i am now there is no Magnet coverage.
    I had to choose between the very few ISP present in the area and i went for Imagine that sounds like a good one...

I am just waiting for Imagine to activate my line but in the meanwhile i am trying to understand how can i use my modem provided by Magnet (Telsey CPVA600W) with the new Imagine broadband. So far i went just crazy but couldn't understand if there is a way to use it or not.

Looks ike Telsey modem with Magnet are unaccessible to reset/reconfigure etc.

Anybody with a better knowledge who can help me?

Thank you very much for your help.

Andrea

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 papelone

Guys please help...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Perhaps Magnet lock there modem/router to there service, personally don't know as have never used their services.

Did Imagine not supply you with a adsl modem/router?

I had a dispute with Magnet as they overcharged me for the service...I paid on the 1st of July for the full month and gave notice to cancel the contract on the 3rd (you need to give them 30-days notice). They cut my line on the very next day and refused to refund me what i pad for July.

After several phone calls i decided to keep the router as "refund" for what was overpaid.

Of course Imagine provides routers but i was hoping to save some money by using the Magnet router...

Thanks,
    Andrea

any other idea guys?

Please help!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Doubt the Magnet modem will work and it still is their property so really you do have to return it. Tell them they can send a courier round to collect it some time that's most convenient for you and not for them, a Saturday afternoon for example. Besides the imagine modem will be better suited to their service I'd imagine (sorry had to work that in there)

MC

PS What speed service did you have from Magnet? Give me the model number of the Magnet router and I'll look up the specs.

PPS Take your e-mail address off the post unless you like lots of spam as the robots will get it...

• Advertisement

Thanks MunsterCycling,

don't you think i am happy to keep their modem i know it's kind of illegal but to be honest with you they also did something not really legal...

Regarding to the connection, i was in Cork City centre and i had 3 megs broadband.

I really loved the very high download cap of 100Gigs, i also went over it and nothing happened...

The connection was very good, no contention at all, very fast to be honest.

Only bug is that from time to time the modem got stuck and you had no other option than to disconnect and reconnect it...

The modem is a Telsey CPV4W i found the manufacturer website www.telsey.com but i am not a great expert of networking...

Funny thing is that i am italian and telsey is an italian company.
    It is now one week i am trying to call their tech support in Italy in the original location and there is just a voicemail saying i am calling outside office hours...i think they may be closed for holidays (classical italian stuff) or even out of business.

Andrea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

OK, I have read the spec sheet on this and no it won't do ADSL2+ with Imagine as it is an ethernet router IF I read the specs correctly. It SHOULD work as a wifi access point for you though if you connect it to the modem that Imagine will give you or you supply yourself, I see on their site that they want €60 for a Zyxel modem, that is a bit steep IMHO, look on www.adverts.ie for an ADSL2+ modem (lots available) and yo should get one for way less.

If you are still in the Cork area I may be able to give you a hand choosing and configuring the modem or if you want PM me and I'll source one for you and install it too.

MC

Advertisement