Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Device for keeping things in standby mode when you cut the power

Options
  • 19-08-2008 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Lads a bit of a strange one. The mate has some recording device(dvdr i think) to replace his aging VCR. The thing is he turns off all plug switchs at night but this thing must not have a little battery inside it to keep settings like time etc because when it turns plugs back on in the morning he has to reset everything. So was wondering is there a device that you plug into your house sockets which you then plug your VCR etc into and when power is turned off at the socket at night it kicks in to keep said device in standby mode until morning. This device would need to have some sort of rechargable battiers

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, you could use a UPS (uninterruptable power supply). Theyre usually used for computer stuff, should there be a power failure, but would do this task aswell.

http://www.elara.ie/products/ups.asp will give an idea to what's available, and costs.

Of couse, the easiest and cheapest thing to do would be to not plug out the DVDR. Can he not just switch off everything else but leave that alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Cheers Byte was thinking of a UPS myself but was hoping there was something smaller/slimline. All the same amazed at how little those cost for what they do. Your right when you say leave that switch on but a couple of years ago he had a tv go on fire when it was left on standby. I suppose technically by having this device it would be the same as having it plugged in anyways. I think he was just hoping it could be something that would give very little power(like a battery) so to minimise the risks

Thanks

Advertisement