Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What rear surround speakers?

• 19-08-2008 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm in the process of setting up a sound system in my sitting room. I've got the fronts and sub covered, but I'm not sure on the rears.
    the fronts are Mission 70's from a Cinema 6 Pack. Sub is the 70ASE. I have the Mission 70 rears as well, but I want something more discreet for placement on the wall. The amp is an old, but awesome!, Sony STR-DB940.
    So what should I look at for the rears?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Depends on the budget, to some extent, although getting something to make a good match with you existing speakers should be part of the mix too.

You could have alook out for a pair of Eltax Bipolars (Click here) or alternatively a set of Mission 77ds, they would go well tonally with your other speakers, but I think they're out of production ? I'm not sure whether the Eltax are still made, they may be out of production too - I picked up a couple of pairs some time ago.

The nearest new I would think of would be the Mordaunt Short 903i - Click Here - at €260 a pair these are quite expensive and while they look very similar to 'the Eltax, based on my own Genies, the speakers are in a different class (as they should be, for the price.)

Ritz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Thanks for the suggestions Ritz.
    Those choices share one problem for me, they are too large. I am hoping to get something that will be much more discreet. I realise this is at odds with decent sound quality, but I think I'll have to live with that to keep SHMBO happy :).

Something like the Mission M-cubes or Bose style speakers would be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Something like the Mission M-cubes or Bose style speakers would be ideal.

Problem there is that, both mission m-cubes and bose acoutimass speaker designs are based on a sub/sat combination so you would have to hide a sub somewhere at the rear of the room.

the smallest rear speakers that I think you would get away with are possibly the monitor audio R90 range.

25.jpg

They measure 7 1/2 x 4 3/4 x 5 1/2 inch (H X W X D) or 190 x 120 x 140

Doing a bit of research and have found that the Jamo A102 HCS5 is very highly rated. Its a full 5.1 package, but is small in size and ideally suited for where i want to put it.
    I can get a set from the UK for around €260 delivered.

Anyone got any opinions on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Should work well with the amp that you have. Regardless of what speaker pack you go for they will only sound as good as the amplifier driving them.
    So are you looking at changing the whole speaker setup and not just the rears now??

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think a matched system would sound better and the Jamo set seems too good to pass at the price. The amp is a Sony DB940, so has plenty of power to drive them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭axton1

Hi All,

I'm in the process of setting up a sound system in my sitting room. I've got the fronts and sub covered, but I'm not sure on the rears.
    the fronts are Mission 70's from a Cinema 6 Pack. Sub is the 70ASE. I have the Mission 70 rears as well, but I want something more discreet for placement on the wall. The amp is an old, but awesome!, Sony STR-DB940.
    So what should I look at for the rears?

Thanks
    Hi Cmar,
    try looking at audio pro allroom sats, they are quite small ,sound great,also colour choice, or the do a cube that sits on the floor and bounces the signal around the room.

axton1 wrote: »
    Hi Cmar,
    try looking at audio pro allroom sats, they are quite small ,sound great,also colour choice, or the do a cube that sits on the floor and bounces the signal around the room.

Hi Axton,

Forgotten about this thread...
    I bought the Jamo 5.1 set up after.
    Couldn't pass up the deal. €260 delivered from Craig Audio in the UK.
    Same system is €430 in Peats :eek:

Just wiring the room for them at the moment.
    Hope to get them connected up soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭axton1

Hi Axton,

Forgotten about this thread...
    I bought the Jamo 5.1 set up after.
    Couldn't pass up the deal. €260 delivered from Craig Audio in the UK.
    Same system is €430 in Peats :eek:

Just wiring the room for them at the moment.
    Hope to get them connected up soon :)

ok good luck and enjoy

Advertisement