Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with new router and NTL

Options
  • 19-08-2008 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've got broadband through NTL so the signal comes into a cable modem (one of the older purple ones), I've then got a LAN cable going into a new Linksys WRT54G. The problem is that DNS is messed up sometimes when I turn on the laptop. It'll connect to the network itself but won't look up any web sites. When I directly connect the LAN cable from the cable modem into the laptop it works fine straight away. Anyone know what may be going wrong? I'm unsure myself. Any help would be really appreciated.

EDIT: I should add that the problem is intermittent. I'm posting now having connected.

Thanks,

Anthony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Go into Control Panel/Network Connections . Right-click on your Wireless Network Connection . Under the General Tab highlight TCP/IP Protocol and click Properties . Is the radio button selected for obtaining DNS server address automatically ? I'm no expert , especially when it comes to networking , but it might be worth looking at while you wait for a more informed reply .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kikos

help ! i got the same problem, should we set up the dns manually in the router s settings ?
    It was working yesterday, i v switched off router and modem then switched on. and nothing works...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

@kikos - router configuration is most likely covered in FAQ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054981219

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

nessyguin wrote: »
    Is the radio button selected for obtaining DNS server address automatically ?

Yep it's set to automatically pick up the DNS alright.

I've tried a couple of the tricks mentioned in that thread but I don't think any of them will be particularly effective. We'll see. Will keep this updated.

Advertisement